Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I'd definitely go P320 if your first gun.

Legion is an enthusiast gun. Like a 458.

You wanna start with something easier to manipulate.

.458 is for when zombie tyrannosaurus rex's attack.

Not ashamed to say I have an AR chambered in .458.
I love the .458, it is a wonderful deer round. It's shocking with a properly placed shot how little damage it does to the meat but literally stops them in their tracks. Really thinking I may get a .458 Hamr. It should get me into the 400yrd range. Using an eliminator III I am already super confident at 300yrds with the standard .458.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #4314
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
My son built a .458 Socom rifle for his 13th birthday. I gave him a stripped lower and my credit card and told him to order whatever he needed.

He built the lower himself and needed a little help with the upper. He loves it. I didn't know what 458 was when he ordered it and said ouch when I saw ammo prices. I did just scored 100 rounds for $182 shipped. Much cheaper than what I bought last year when he built it.

We have a class coming up in September at work. At the end of the final class, I plan on shooting a few cars with the 458.

Last edited by chowser51; 07-12-2020 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2186.00
      07-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #4315
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
My father actually brought one of these home from the service with him. It had the collapsible paratrooper stock on it. He decided it was a piece of trash and replaced it with a mannlicher stock and trashed the original one.

LOL - needless to say - big mistake.

I do still own it though. New stock turned out nice.
Oh no.. the M1A1 is pretty valuable. I like the look of the M1 over the M1A1, and I’ve heard that the A1 is uncomfortable to shoot. I finally get to shoot mine today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Most powerful weapon I have is either a slug in a 12 gauge or 30-06 in a Garand. Kinda think a T-Rex walks both of those off.
Pics of the Garand, please.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #4316
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Finally found a concealed carry fanny pack that I like. Both compartments are lockable. It has RF shielding as well
Attached Images

Last edited by upstatedoc; 07-14-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #4317
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Finally found a concealed carry fanny pack that I like. Both compartments are lockable.
Deep down, I knew you were a badass.

Nice fanny bro
Appreciate 4
Smgs1992720.00
unluky7465.00
      07-13-2020, 02:10 AM   #4318
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I'd definitely go P320 if your first gun.

Legion is an enthusiast gun. Like a 458.

You wanna start with something easier to manipulate.

.458 is for when zombie tyrannosaurus rex's attack.

Not ashamed to say I have an AR chambered in .458.

I meant Ferrari 458

I should have specified. Completely forgot about that round.
      07-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #4319
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Forgive me for veering off topic but I am keeping my most-recent weapon purchase out of the "pictures of what you bought" thread.

Ordered a Microtech "Ultratech" knife. I picked the 120-5 version with a satin bayonet style, partially serrated blade, and black handle. Definitely a step up from my Milwaukee!
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #4320
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Forgive me for veering off topic but I am keeping my most-recent weapon purchase out of the "pictures of what you bought" thread.

Ordered a Microtech "Ultratech" knife. I picked the 120-5 version with a satin bayonet style, partially serrated blade, and black handle. Definitely a step up from my Milwaukee!
I believe that'd be illegal in Canada. Nice knife though, enjoy.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #4321
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

how is that blade deployed and how can I get one
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #4322
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah I have similar microtech. Deploys with switch on side heavy spring straight out.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #4323
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:

how is that blade deployed and how can I get one
I picked on up from DLT Trading. They have a good selection and are right here in CT so I should get my order very quickly.

https://www.dlttrading.com/microtech...wash-blade-101

07-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #4324
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Anyone used gunbroker? Thought i had found someplace to order a Sig M400 tread but turned out to be a bust. Found a few on there though. Never used it however. Seems like essentially ebay but for guns
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #4325
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah it works. Found a nice Remington 1100 on there
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #4326
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterzapper View Post
Just a quick little build. Took a couple months to get the scope due to demand/back order. Need to break her in once it cools down.
What is this finish? It's beautiful
      07-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #4327
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
I picked on up from DLT Trading. They have a good selection and are right here in CT so I should get my order very quickly.

https://www.dlttrading.com/microtech...wash-blade-101

Sadly, autos are banned in CA unless under 2" blades. Will have to make due with the folding stuff

Name:  IMG_5728.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  536.3 KB

Benchmade Barrage - spring assisted so opens quick, but not as quick as an auto.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #4328
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Microtech Ultratech UTX-85 - my daily carry

Benchmade Auto Stryker
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #4329
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick303 View Post
Microtech Ultratech UTX-85 - my daily carry

Benchmade Auto Stryker
I carried a bench-made for my duty knife, it's a bit big for a daily so now I carry a Kershaw. Both excellent knives.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #4330
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I carried a bench-made for my duty knife, it's a bit big for a daily so now I carry a Kershaw. Both excellent knives.
Hey Jim, what's the law right now in Ontario re: knives? Like if I were to go for a walk (I live near wooded areas and have seen coyotes, have not seen the black bears but have seen the scat from them), are there any restrictions to carrying a knife? If I were to go biking - would that be different? Does it differ if fixed vs folding (obviously know I can't have a switchblade).

I'll have to look at the law sometime, but in the meantime, thought I'd get a retired officer's opinion too.

Just looking for some way to give myself a little peace of mind...though they're far too close already if I'm forced to resort to a knife and I'm going to get bitten at that point.

Bear spray is too bulky IMO. And I'm not sure as to its effectiveness really.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #4331
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Hey Jim, what's the law right now in Ontario re: knives? Like if I were to go for a walk (I live near wooded areas and have seen coyotes, have not seen the black bears but have seen the scat from them), are there any restrictions to carrying a knife? If I were to go biking - would that be different? Does it differ if fixed vs folding (obviously know I can't have a switchblade).

I'll have to look at the law sometime, but in the meantime, thought I'd get a retired officer's opinion too.

Just looking for some way to give myself a little peace of mind...though they're far too close already if I'm forced to resort to a knife and I'm going to get bitten at that point.

Bear spray is too bulky IMO. And I'm not sure as to its effectiveness really.
So as long as its labeled "bear spray" it's ok. It is exactly the same as what the cops carry OC Spray, but what the police carry is prohibited.

Regarding knives, there is no law that prohibits carrying a knife with a few caveats. The knife cannot be opened by a spring, (switchblades and stilleto's) they are prohibited under the criminal code, also if a knife can be opened using centrifugal force, (flick blades) they are also prohibited. Other than that no issue. If you encounter the police the correct answer is that it is a tool, and not a weapon or for protection. I have always carried a knife, I worked as a commercial diver before joining the police dept. I was often on boats and around the water so I carried a knife for work purposes but also used it as a tool when I was away from work. So you can carry a machete if you like, you're in the bush and use it to clear paths savvy? If you found yourself using it to defend against a bear or coyote so be it but that's not why you have it.

If you're seriously concerned about bears and they have been an issue I'd consider carrying a rifle, just make sure you're in compliance with all of the firearm regs.
Appreciate 3
      07-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #4332
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So as long as its labeled "bear spray" it's ok. It is exactly the same as what the cops carry OC Spray, but what the police carry is prohibited.

Regarding knives, there is no law that prohibits carrying a knife with a few caveats. The knife cannot be opened by a spring, (switchblades and stilleto's) they are prohibited under the criminal code, also if a knife can be opened using centrifugal force, (flick blades) they are also prohibited. Other than that no issue. If you encounter the police the correct answer is that it is a tool, and not a weapon or for protection. I have always carried a knife, I worked as a commercial diver before joining the police dept. I was often on boats and around the water so I carried a knife for work purposes but also used it as a tool when I was away from work. So you can carry a machete if you like, you're in the bush and use it to clear paths savvy? If you found yourself using it to defend against a bear or coyote so be it but that's not why you have it.

If you're seriously concerned about bears and they have been an issue I'd consider carrying a rifle, just make sure you're in compliance with all of the firearm regs.
Tool - got it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm not overly concerned about the bears to be honest, I think they are probably just as scared of me as I am them and I've never seen one. I have however seen one or two coyotes within about 200 metres. One of them stood so tall I thought it might even be a coywolf. Biggest coyote I've ever seen anyhow.

Generally I walk mostly on streets, though there is a forest on each side and not too many homes on the one street which is where I've seen them. Sometimes I will take a trail which is an old railway track that they ripped up and converted to a long trail - and that always is running through the forest with few to no houses on either side usually.

I think if I were to walk my property in the bush, I'd probably bring my shotgun. I see a rifle as problematic with how far the round could travel if I were nervous and missed...and I would be nervous. Whereas a 12G with buck or slugs should do an admirable job on discouraging a bear I'd imagine. Or a coyote.

But I can't exactly bring my shotgun on the rail trail and expect not to have a visit from many police since it is public property.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #4333
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Anyone used gunbroker? Thought i had found someplace to order a Sig M400 tread but turned out to be a bust. Found a few on there though. Never used it however. Seems like essentially ebay but for guns
It's definitely an eBay for guns so your experience will vary depending on the seller. My brother bought a CZ from a local seller on Gunbroker and it was a pleasant experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #4334
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Tool - got it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm not overly concerned about the bears to be honest, I think they are probably just as scared of me as I am them and I've never seen one. I have however seen one or two coyotes within about 200 metres. One of them stood so tall I thought it might even be a coywolf. Biggest coyote I've ever seen anyhow.

Generally I walk mostly on streets, though there is a forest on each side and not too many homes on the one street which is where I've seen them. Sometimes I will take a trail which is an old railway track that they ripped up and converted to a long trail - and that always is running through the forest with few to no houses on either side usually.

I think if I were to walk my property in the bush, I'd probably bring my shotgun. I see a rifle as problematic with how far the round could travel if I were nervous and missed...and I would be nervous. Whereas a 12G with buck or slugs should do an admirable job on discouraging a bear I'd imagine. Or a coyote.

But I can't exactly bring my shotgun on the rail trail and expect not to have a visit from many police since it is public property.
If you're going to take your shotgun make sure you have a small game licence that is valid for the time of year, I think coyote is open 12 months but check with MNR....also only carry the gun where it's permitted to hunt, not in provincial parks, city limits etc. I think MNR would be worse to deal with than the police. Also, make sure you're in compliance with all of the other regs PAL etc.

Further to the knife thing, I always carry one, in the city what ever. The only place you can't take one now seems to be public venue's like sporting events and concerts. Other than that you just never know when you might need to cut up a mango....
Appreciate 0