BMW E46 M3
Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Are You Wearing Your Mask?
Of course 112 82.35%
No Iím an idiot 24 17.65%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

06-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #243
MPOWER5266
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
There are and it would.

The point of view that so many have about masks is very self-centric completely missing the point that if everybody wore them in all situations where they should be worn things might look considerably different.

Knowing this was going to be an issue, we went to a paint supply store and stocked up on n95 respirators. I wear a cloth mask for general outside stuff where people are closer than 6' so I don't get them sick and wear my n95 under my cloth mask when going inside stores and other places with circulating air.

At my office I wear a cloth mask in common areas and my n95 in areas that have more people or I don't know the people in that area.

I work far out in the middle of nowhere so it is easy to socially distance most of the time and I work from home every other week.

Fill your mask with candy while sitting through boring meetings to spice things up.

Well you are taking it far more serious than 99.99999% of the people I see. Most people are adjusting theirs, pulling it down to talk, etc etc. I just wear mine when required and avoid getting within 6 feet of people. Seemed to have worked so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #244
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Well you are taking it far more serious than 99.99999% of the people I see. Most people are adjusting theirs, pulling it down to talk, etc etc. I just wear mine when required and avoid getting within 6 feet of people. Seemed to have worked so far.
15 years in healthcare will do that. Lots of TB, plague, and others came through over the years. H1N1 season was wild and this is well beyond that.

Hopefully you stay well sir.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #245
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
They just mandated masks everywhere in my state, I can't wait for someone to try to put hands on me for not wearing one.
Get one of these mesh airsoft ones
Attached Images

War is Peace - Freedom is Slavery - Ignorance is Strength
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #246
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaddening View Post
Get one of these mesh airsoft ones
bro are you stalking me? I just posted this on facebook yesterday...very strongly considering it.

I want to wait til the EO comes out to see if they write it as stupid as a gun law where this mask would comply with the letter.
      06-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #247
MPOWER5266
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
15 years in healthcare will do that. Lots of TB, plague, and others came through over the years. H1N1 season was wild and this is well beyond that.

Hopefully you stay well sir.
Just doing what I can while still living my life. My neighbors were supposed to go the beach with my wife and I on the 1st, but they got the rona. They are off quarantine as of today and testing later but we told them we weren't comfortable with them joining us. They caught it from a nurse that deals with Covid patents and thought it would be a good idea to spend a weekend at the lake with them. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #248
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I don't really care if the government wants to mandate mask wearing or not, but what I do find very interesting is the stark contrast between the US and my own country. I don't quite understand where the difference is coming from. It does not make any sense to me.

On June 1st, the lockdown measures were eased. Bars and restaurants were allowed to reopen. Depending on the feasibility of 1.5m social distancing, they are allowed to host up to 30 people inside. Masks are not mandated. Keep in mind that stores (grocery stores, supermarkets, hardware stores etc. etc.) were never shut down here and never had a mask mandate. I can promise you that a lot of Dutch grocery stores are a lot more cramped than your average US store. In any case, between June 1st and today we've barely seen an increase in cases compared to before the more stringent pre-June 1st measures.

I had expected the case totals to rise, but they seem to be dropping slightly instead.

Source: Dutch CDC

A: Amount of reported cases reported by date
B: Amount of reported hospital admissions by date
C: Amount of reported deaths by date

So we're in a situation where people are allowed to get together in bars and restaurants without masks, yet we're not seeing a sharp increase in case numbers. It seems to have been fairly stable for the entirety of June. We've had some great weather the past few weeks and a lot of people were out and about.

Even more interestingly, starting tomorrow, July 1st, sex workers will be allowed to resume their work. The 30 people limit is removed (unlimited). Social distancing requirements still apply, except for sex workers (gee!).

Now we do have a mask mandate for public transporation, but you must wear a non-medical grade mask. You can get a fine if you're wearing a medical-grade mask.

Is this just a matter of scale? US is significantly bigger, so the problem is also significantly bigger? But even then, it's strange to see.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 3
      06-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #249
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
I don't really care if the government wants to mandate mask wearing or not, but what I do find very interesting is the stark contrast between the US and my own country. I don't quite understand where the difference is coming from. It does not make any sense to me.

On June 1st, the lockdown measures were eased. Bars and restaurants were allowed to reopen. Depending on the feasibility of 1.5m social distancing, they are allowed to host up to 30 people inside. Masks are not mandated. Keep in mind that stores (grocery stores, supermarkets, hardware stores etc. etc.) were never shut down here and never had a mask mandate. I can promise you that a lot of Dutch grocery stores are a lot more cramped than your average US store. In any case, between June 1st and today we've barely seen an increase in cases compared to before the more stringent pre-June 1st measures.

I had expected the case totals to rise, but they seem to be dropping slightly instead.

Source: Dutch CDC

A: Amount of reported cases reported by date
B: Amount of reported hospital admissions by date
C: Amount of reported deaths by date

So we're in a situation where people are allowed to get together in bars and restaurants without masks, yet we're not seeing a sharp increase in case numbers. It seems to have been fairly stable for the entirety of June. We've had some great weather the past few weeks and a lot of people were out and about.

Even more interestingly, starting tomorrow, July 1st, sex workers will be allowed to resume their work. The 30 people limit is removed (unlimited). Social distancing requirements still apply, except for sex workers (gee!).

Now we do have a mask mandate for public transporation, but you must wear a non-medical grade mask. You can get a fine if you're wearing a medical-grade mask.

Is this just a matter of scale? US is significantly bigger, so the problem is also significantly bigger? But even then, it's strange to see.
The data here is very...unreliable.

There's been reports of unused Coronavirus test swabs being sent in for testing and returning positive...
      07-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #250
HarrisGH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I definitely wear a mask in crowded places, such as shops and public transport. I have enough friends who are sick and I do not want to risk it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:58 AM   #251
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
You can get a fine if you're wearing a medical-grade mask.
This is not true, the prime minister already assured that 6 weeks ago.
They just don't want a posssible shortage of medical masks to arise because of the millions and millions travelling public transport every day, that's why they stimulating the use of non medical ones in public transport, so that medical workers who are subjected to the virus are assured of medical grade masks.

BTW the purpose of the non medical-grade masks in this matter is not to prevent infection, it's to prevent spreading of the virus.
And for that they do a good job.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0