01-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Looking to get into an E46

Hey yall,

I am coming in from the F8X forums, i currently own a 2016 F82 in DCT. I am a fairly young at 26 years old and pretty much starting up my life, i have had the benefit of being in a good financial situation with a well paying job but things change and responsibilities increase and although i can keep the F82 i would be stretching a little with all my other goals in mind.

I am a simple guy and found that i use almost 0 tech features in my car, i also drive the car year round, even in Canadian winters with Sport+ everything and S3 shift setting and do not mess around with any features. Quite simply put i love the car but i do find it a tad too luxe, heavy, and generally overkill for the type of guy i am.

I also find the F82 not very toss able on the street, and not nearly as sporty as i would like, let's just say i don't give a shit about comfort so after owning it for over 2 years i feel the value i get for the money i am paying is a little subpar, the car is fantastic, i love it but i do feel it is far above my personality.

This brought me to the question of making a shift from this torque monster to a more nimble, smaller, obviously older but just as beautiful M3, the E46.

My main points of concern are:

1. Reliability
2. Aftermarket parts + community
3. Cost to maintain/own

Also here in canada these generally command anywhere from 18k-27k canadian dollars with about 120k-200k kilometres on the dash.

I just don't want to end up in a money pit of broken parts and maintenance nightmares, i love the look of this car, and everything it represents.

I would be going super heavy into the mods, comfort is my least worry, i would like to make it as track focused as possible. Once again the M4 is quite a bit too comfy for me, i feel a little too snobby in it for some reason, it's just out there ahahah.

If any of you could give me your experiences, i would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
WestBankM4
First Lieutenant
Palestine
Rep
Drives: '19 M4CS

I think I can guide you in the right direction as I was in the same boat a couple months back, and finally found the E46 M3 I've wanted. It's night and day from the F82, driving my F82 I was worried about technology, but the beautiful thing about the E46 M3 is that it is a very simple car, but with decent technology for it's age.

1. Reliability: I've seen examples with 350K+ miles, well maintained and still going strong, with specific areas being addressed that are the weak points on the chassis/engine. The engine, you can't say much as it's the S54, an absolute legendary NA I6.

2. Aftermarket parts + community: Community is huge, the car is old enough that there are plenty of DIY's and that's what I enjoy doing. I enjoy working on it slowly and getting it back to a point where I can daily drive it knowing it's refreshed properly, with an OEM+ feel. I'm from the Bay Area, CA and there are plenty of individuals who are very knowledgeable about the car and can help out. As far as aftermarket parts, there are a plethora of engine modifications you can do, but as far as body goes, there's not much there. People do a lot of CSL upgrades to the cars exterior, front bumper, diffusor, CSL trunk, and some odd bits in the interior. The stereo is a pain in the ass, so be prepared to spend a little bit if your stereo system goes down. I've been using NAM3 forums a lot as well as Bimmerpost.

3. Cost to maintain/own: The car's street value is a lot higher than what the Blue Book would suggest, so be prepared to spend for a low mileage clean example. I see Salvage Title junks going for $10k-13k here in the Bay Area, just bide your time.

There are also 3-main areas on the car that you want to make sure have been done, or doesn't have any current issues. The first is the subframe and cracking. The car will either have it, or will get it. This issue is addressed with reinforcement plates which Vincebar manufacturers and is a great design. Cleaning, cutting and welding will be required needed. It's a good time to drop the subframe and get to work on the suspension like I'm doing.

Second area of concern is the Vanos unit. I've had my Vanos rebuilt using Beisan parts, you can DIY or take it to a shop. This unit has the potential to destroy the motor, so get it addressed soon if it hasn't been already.

Third thing to look for is the rod bearings, a classic issue that plagues even later model M's. You should have these changed out at least every 80,000 - 100,000 miles, and have a potential to bring catastrophic engine failure.

Addressing those 3 key areas are normally something you want to tackle right away, besides that, everything else can be worked on slowly. I love the car and I think I'm going to be enjoying it for many years to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBankM4 View Post
I think I can guide you in the right direction as I was in the same boat a couple months back, and finally found the E46 M3 I've wanted. It's night and day from the F82, driving my F82 I was worried about technology, but the beautiful thing about the E46 M3 is that it is a very simple car, but with decent technology for it's age.

1. Reliability: I've seen examples with 350K+ miles, well maintained and still going strong, with specific areas being addressed that are the weak points on the chassis/engine. The engine, you can't say much as it's the S54, an absolute legendary NA I6.

2. Aftermarket parts + community: Community is huge, the car is old enough that there are plenty of DIY's and that's what I enjoy doing. I enjoy working on it slowly and getting it back to a point where I can daily drive it knowing it's refreshed properly, with an OEM+ feel. I'm from the Bay Area, CA and there are plenty of individuals who are very knowledgeable about the car and can help out. As far as aftermarket parts, there are a plethora of engine modifications you can do, but as far as body goes, there's not much there. People do a lot of CSL upgrades to the cars exterior, front bumper, diffusor, CSL trunk, and some odd bits in the interior. The stereo is a pain in the ass, so be prepared to spend a little bit if your stereo system goes down. I've been using NAM3 forums a lot as well as Bimmerpost.

3. Cost to maintain/own: The car's street value is a lot higher than what the Blue Book would suggest, so be prepared to spend for a low mileage clean example. I see Salvage Title junks going for $10k-13k here in the Bay Area, just bide your time.

There are also 3-main areas on the car that you want to make sure have been done, or doesn't have any current issues. The first is the subframe and cracking. The car will either have it, or will get it. This issue is addressed with reinforcement plates which Vincebar manufacturers and is a great design. Cleaning, cutting and welding will be required needed. It's a good time to drop the subframe and get to work on the suspension like I'm doing.

Second area of concern is the Vanos unit. I've had my Vanos rebuilt using Beisan parts, you can DIY or take it to a shop. This unit has the potential to destroy the motor, so get it addressed soon if it hasn't been already.

Third thing to look for is the rod bearings, a classic issue that plagues even later model M's. You should have these changed out at least every 80,000 - 100,000 miles, and have a potential to bring catastrophic engine failure.

Addressing those 3 key areas are normally something you want to tackle right away, besides that, everything else can be worked on slowly. I love the car and I think I'm going to be enjoying it for many years to come.
Absolutely love the write up and thanks for taking your time guiding me there.

There are about 5-6 e46's for sale in toronto ranging from around 14k canadian (252k kilometers/150k miles) all the way up to 28k (74k kilometer/45k miles).

I feel the american market is overly expensive with cars in general so we are lucky here in canada.

All i ask for in a car at this point in my life is an awesome suspension/amazing steering feel and adequate power. If the e46 can get me this wether i have to go aftermarket suspensions or any other upgrades i would gladly do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
WestBankM4
First Lieutenant
Palestine
Rep
Drives: '19 M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Absolutely love the write up and thanks for taking your time guiding me there.

There are about 5-6 e46's for sale in toronto ranging from around 14k canadian (252k kilometers/150k miles) all the way up to 28k (74k kilometer/45k miles).

I feel the american market is overly expensive with cars in general so we are lucky here in canada.

All i ask for in a car at this point in my life is an awesome suspension/amazing steering feel and adequate power. If the e46 can get me this wether i have to go aftermarket suspensions or any other upgrades i would gladly do it.
Those prices are fantastic man, and yes, the US market is always over the top.

The E46 will give you the awesome suspension, even mine with 110k miles and probably shot bushings handles astonishing well. I'm refreshing all OEM bushings in the front, rear, subframe, and picked up some ST Suspension (same as KW, minus a galvanized coating and much less). I'm excited to see what this chassis can do with all new parts underneath.

The steering feel is night and day from our F82s, the most obvious being electronic steering. You can't exactly "feel" the road with the F82, even going over divots, pot holes, irregularities on the road, zero feedback sensation. The E46 M3 though, man, I can't explain it but I feel mechanically connected to the road. My inputs are more robust than the M4.

The power I think is the sweet spot for the E46 M3. My M4 is dangerously fast, I did give it about a 100hp bump, so my CS is probably around the 550-560hp range, but even at it's factory level, thing is ridiculous. I don't have the ability to wind out every gear because by the time I reach 3rd, I'm already blowing past 120 and need to slow down. The E46 M3, you can wind this car up, it lives in the mid-upper RPM range, it is NOT a torque monster at all. The M4 can drive amazingly at low RPMs because of all that torque, but the E46, you'll have a chance to get comfortable with 333HP and complete RPM band. It does feel quite quick in modern times to be honest and the noise that S54 makes makes me love drunk.

Hope you find one soon man, take your time, get a clean example and always ask about the "Big Three", when talking to owners. VANOS, SUBFRAME, and ROD BEARINGS.

Last edited by WestBankM4; 01-29-2021 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
aw04m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Out of all of the vehicles I have owned, the only one that I wish I could have back is my 2004 E46 M3 (6 speed manual). There has not been any car that I have driven that has felt the same or given me the same joy (my next sports car after the m3 was an 08 911 turbo). If you're a simple guy that doesn't care for tech features I'd say the E46 M3 is right up your alley. I still get excited whenever I see one on the road (my wife is probably sick of me pointing them out everytime and saying I wish I still had mine).

There will always be risks with purchasing a 15+ year old vehicle so my advice would be to spend a little more for something in great condition and get it inspected by a mechanic that has experience with e46's. Maintenance and upkeep going hand in hand with reliability and if you find one in good condition regular maintenance isn't too bad (don't know what the current situation with the oil is, used to cost me $100 to change it myself). Certainly you can expect you'll need to replace some parts especially anything that can wear over time.

Aftermarket wise there are so many possibilities and aftermarket tuners. I don't think you'll have any storage of mods to save up for and install. The sky is the limit (just don't mess with the original soul of the car as a high revving NA beast).
Appreciate 0