E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

01-12-2024, 06:36 PM   #1
Woody5187
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Rpms dropping ;during stopping

Hello all.

Did a search in the M3 section but didn't really find what I was looking for (hope I didn't miss something). I have a 2004 M3 6 speed manual with about 125000 kilometers on it. The last couple of years when coming to a stop and braking, the rpms drop down, sometimes even stalling unless I get on the gas. I have read in some places it might be a leak in the brake booster or the vacuum line between the intake manifold and the brake booster.

There are no codes and the car runs very smoothly; the thing that made me post today is it is quite a bit colder where I live; -10 C compared to around 5 C. The dropping of the rpms has stopped, as soon as the weather got much colder. My thought is there is a small leak in a hose somewhere and the cold is helping to seal it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:09 PM   #2
NB STIG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp G83

Garage List
If you have a BMW specific, full system, code scanner you probably will find that you have this error in your DME: Error 94 Interner Index 241/5e DME: Inlet VANOS, Adaptation Fault.
There are several posts about this and but I haven't found the ultimate solution. This error won't trigger any lights in your dashboard.
It is a VANOS timing issue that can be either software related or mechanical. Basically the inlet VANOS won't adapt properly causing the car to run rough and stall coming to a stop.
It could be something else like a CAM sensor or a VANOS solenoid, but I am pretty sure it is a VANOS timing issue. Maybe someone here has experienced this issue and can share some light on it or a solution. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:41 PM   #3
Woody5187
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Thank you.
Appreciate 0