BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

01-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
mvos
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3 Coupe

Recent M3 acquisition - quick question...

Hi folks, I just purchased an older 2002 M3 coupe, and it is the car of my dreams. I have wanted one of these since I first heard of them right before they were released in the states. It is everything I hoped for! But I have a question, and it is (embarassingly!) related to a sound:

I have read the forums and searched for the typical "sounds" of an e46 M3, and am familiar with the various normal vibrations it is expected to create (e.g. the rasp, the clunk of the LSD diff, loud injector clicking, etc). But reading about them and hearing them is a bit different! The only sound I am wanting to make sure is normal is one I only hear under WOT. With normal driving, including high revs, I don't hear this sound, only under WOT, and it can be anywhere in the RPM range, though louder when under WOT and around 4k-6k RPM. It sounds like a fast clicking or racheting or grinding type of sound, and comes from the general front of the car (not the tail pipe or rear diff region).

Does that description sound normal? Is it likely just the loud injectors or is that what the rasp sounds like? Or is it more likely something more, something like the clutch plate or perhaps the valves? Sorry for such a noob question - I have never ridden in or heard another M3 other than in videos or on TV, so I just don't have a basis for comparison.

Thanks for the help!
Vos
      02-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
asum3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 m3 vert

Over a month on no one?? Maybe get a sound clip up of the noise you are talking about..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

You're probably just hearing the M3 rasp. Do a search on rasp pipe or ar25. There is a mod to get rid of the sound.

If the car is stationary and you have some one rev the car and you hear a ticking in the engine bay, thats a bigger problem. Get that tuned right away!

Also search on inspection 1 and 2 - the valves are supposed to be checked then (every 30K or so).