11-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #4797
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Many points to address. This is all for discussion; I'm not calling out anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I don't think so, 30+ years of training.
30+ years of police training. Police departments aren't known for keeping up with the changing training environment.

I shoot in a just-for-fun LEO league with a bunch of cops. I've also shot IDPA and USPSA with cops. As a general rule, the average cop sucks at shooting.

Quote:
First round is likely fired before you can think about getting a sight picture.
If you are bringing the gun up to eye level before shooting, you are getting a sight picture: a flash sight picture. At close distance, just having the back of the gun superimposed on the target is a sight picture. A course, gross sight picture, but good enough for that distance.

What you might not be seeing/getting is proper sight alignment, but you should be pretty close. With proper training and practice, you'll be very close to sight alignment and sight picture even when you are shooting at max speed/ability.

Quote:
spreading out the trauma to the body is the name of the self defense game.
That is flat-out gun store counter bullshit. If that is the best practice, every police department/academy in the country would be teaching officers to shoot into various parts of the body to "spread the trauma." Does your department teach you to do that? Or does your department teach you to shoot into the high thoracic cavity?

Which brings me to the term "center mass." The proper term is center of mass and you shouldn't be aiming for the center of mass. The center of the mass of an adult human is close to the belly button, not the high chest area. You/we should be aiming to hit in the high thoracic cavity. That is where all the really important bits are: heart, lungs, aorta, etc. Putting rounds in that area is much more likely to result in physiological damage that will stop the man as opposed to shooting the same man in the gut.

If you can take the time to aim your shots so that you are "spreading the trauma," then you can take your time to put your rounds into the heart/lungs/arteries.

Pistols are poor fight stoppers. The vast majority of people shot with a handgun survive. The vast majority of people who stop fighting after being shot with a handgun stopped fighting because they quit psychologically, not physiologically. In other words, their fight emotion quit even though their bodies were still able to fight.

All of the above leads to this: Use enough sight picture to allow you to put hits on target. Your target should be the thoracic cavity. Pistol rounds don't make "one shot stops." You'll need to put multiple rounds on target to increase your chance of stopping the fight. To get multiple quick hits on target, you need to have a sight picture. How fine that sight picture needs to be depends on the size of the target and how much time you have.

If you are a law enforcement officer and you are point shooting when you don't have to, you are a liability to innocent bystanders and your department.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #4798
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post

I shoot in a just-for-fun LEO league with a bunch of cops. I've also shot IDPA and USPSA with cops. As a general rule, the average cop sucks at shooting.
I won't argue that point because I agree. Most gun owners in general aren't very proficient when it comes to shooting, so I extrapolate that to law enforcement as well. As professionals, we don't shoot nearly as much as we should…….even less so with people holding onto their ammo because of expense/shortages. I personally try to put 100 rounds through one of my handguns or rifles at least once a month depending on what ammo I can find at a decent price. I try not to shoot any of my surplus rounds. We qualify every three months, so I can usually get the range Deputy to sling me 50 rounds to put through my duty gun on the county's dollar.

IDPA, USPSA and similar training programs are great tools, but I stand by my original statement. Training in live-fire scenarios is a different ball game, especially when you are required to divide your attention and react to the threat that could come from any direction in the environment.

Quote:
If you are bringing the gun up to eye level before shooting, you are getting a sight picture: a flash sight picture. At close distance, just having the back of the gun superimposed on the target is a sight picture. A course, gross sight picture, but good enough for that distance.

What you might not be seeing/getting is proper sight alignment, but you should be pretty close. With proper training and practice, you'll be very close to sight alignment and sight picture even when you are shooting at max speed/ability.
I think we both understand what the intention was behind the sight picture comment. Sometimes, however, you're firing long before it's at eye level in a close quarters self defense situation.

Quote:

Which brings me to the term "center mass." The proper term is center of mass and you shouldn't be aiming for the center of mass. The center of the mass of an adult human is close to the belly button, not the high chest area. You/we should be aiming to hit in the high thoracic cavity. That is where all the really important bits are: heart, lungs, aorta, etc. Putting rounds in that area is much more likely to result in physiological damage that will stop the man as opposed to shooting the same man in the gut.
Again, I think you're being a tad pedantic in the response. Center mass…..thoracic cavity……whatever you want to call it, we are trained to shoot the entire area from neck to belly bottom, shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip.

Quote:
If you can take the time to aim your shots so that you are "spreading the trauma," then you can take your time to put your rounds into the heart/lungs/arteries.
You are reading way too much into the trauma statement. My point was that a person needn't be a sharp shooter and worry so much about tight groupings in a self defense situation. This isn't the movies.

Quote:
Pistols are poor fight stoppers. The vast majority of people shot with a handgun survive. The vast majority of people who stop fighting after being shot with a handgun stopped fighting because they quit psychologically, not physiologically. In other words, their fight emotion quit even though their bodies were still able to fight.
Pistols accomplish the job more often than not. The other person's survival (…or not) isn't my concern in those moments I'm pulling the trigger. Only my survival is imperative. As long as I stop the threat and I am still alive and breathing, the pistol I used to achieve that has performed to my level of expectation.

Quote:

Pistol rounds don't make "one shot stops."

If you are a law enforcement officer and you are point shooting when you don't have to, you are a liability to innocent bystanders and your department.
At what point did anybody suggest any of this??!?!
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane70873.00
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #4799
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
IDPA, USPSA and similar training programs are great tools, but I stand by my original statement. Training in live-fire scenarios is a different ball game, especially when you are required to divide your attention and react to the threat that could come from any direction in the environment.
Our county's sheriff department offers the same scenarios to civilian CCW holders that they do to their officers at their training facility/range...for free! There's a long waiting list, and you have to be a county resident with a CCW. (I don't know if COVID has changed this program, though.)

Getting range time in this area is darn near impossible. All of the sportsman/gun clubs with ranges are full with decade-long waiting lists for new members, and limit the number of guests that a member can bring every year. There is an indoor pistol-only range a few towns over, which is where my DW and I do all of our practice. I'd love to put a few rounds through my NY State-legal "ugly stick" AR-15, but that is probably not going to happen without a road trip.....
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #4800
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Our county's sheriff department offers the same scenarios to civilian CCW holders that they do to their officers at their training facility/range...for free! There's a long waiting list, and you have to be a county resident with a CCW. (I don't know if COVID has changed this program, though.)

Getting range time in this area is darn near impossible. All of the sportsman/gun clubs with ranges are full with decade-long waiting lists for new members, and limit the number of guests that a member can bring every year. There is an indoor pistol-only range a few towns over, which is where my DW and I do all of our practice. I'd love to put a few rounds through my NY State-legal "ugly stick" AR-15, but that is probably not going to happen without a road trip.....
That's awesome that your local Sheriff's Dept. has the time and resources to offer that. Shooting from vehicles and utilizing all aspects of a vehicle's cover and concealment points, clearing residences/buildings, traffic stops with bystanders, etc. teach you real quick how truly vulnerable you are in any given scenario.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #4801
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

FYI, the A/B/C pillars of a motor vehicle offer legitimate cover (…albeit slim, providing maybe 6-8" of cover). We performed the same test on a vehicle that another department performed which consisted of firing over 100 rounds into the B-pillar utilizing an AR15 loaded with 5.56 rounds. Approximately 156 rounds were fired into the side of an Explorer and not one penetrated the other side.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #4802
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
FYI, the A/B/C pillars of a motor vehicle offer legitimate cover (…albeit slim, providing maybe 6-8" of cover). We performed the same test on a vehicle that another department performed which consisted of firing over 100 rounds into the B-pillar utilizing an AR15 loaded with 5.56 rounds. Approximately 156 rounds were fired into the side of an Explorer and not one penetrated the other side.
Didn't penetrate the other side of the pillar or didn't make it all the way through the car?

I don't know what ammo you were using, but I've seen 5.56 go through the B pillar and the other side of the car. Same with 9mm. Seems to be based more on the construction of the car and less on the bullet. And luck. Cars do weird things to bullets.

In classes with Kyle Lamb at the Sig Sauer Academy, we shot a variety of calibers and bullet types through cars. Some make it all the way to the other side of the car, some don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #4803
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't penetrate the other side of the pillar or didn't make it all the way through the car?

I don't know what ammo you were using, but I've seen 5.56 go through the B pillar and the other side of the car. Same with 9mm. Seems to be based more on the construction of the car and less on the bullet. And luck. Cars do weird things to bullets.

In classes with Kyle Lamb at the Sig Sauer Academy, we shot a variety of calibers and bullet types through cars. Some make it all the way to the other side of the car, some don't.
It didn't make it through the other side of the vehicle. For reference, this was on an Explorer. I do believe construction matters, but because pillars are strong and are designed to maintain integrity during a rollover, they are good points of cover should a vehicle be your only option and you have a mobile opponent.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615281.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #4804
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

I think we both understand what the intention was behind the sight picture comment. Sometimes, however, you're firing long before it's at eye level in a close quarters self defense situation.

Again, I think you're being a tad pedantic in the response. Center mass…..thoracic cavity……whatever you want to call it, we are trained to shoot the entire area from neck to belly bottom, shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip.

You are reading way too much into the trauma statement. My point was that a person needn't be a sharp shooter and worry so much about tight groupings in a self defense situation. This isn't the movies.
I'm being picky and pedantic here and in my previous post.

As a LEO, you are held to a higher standard, as you should be. You should be attempting to use a proper sight picture and sight alignment when you are able. If you are grappling with a suspect and you can't physically do that, then I understand that an "un-aimed" shot is appropriate, but everyone of your bullets has a lawyer attached to it who is looking for a reason to blame you. And in today's climate, the cop is a target.

"we are trained to shoot the entire area from neck to belly bottom, shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip" Really? You're happy with just hitting anywhere on the torso? You don't want to try to do better? You're happy with lower standards?

Why not train to hit anywhere on the body?

If you are trained and graded to hit anywhere on the torso then what do you think happens in real life? Do you think you will do better when it matters, or worse? Do you think you will be able to make the shot when it counts? Will you be able to actually use your training? Your sights?

If a proper sight picture isn't important for the common distance of OIS, do you train for that? Do you train in point shooting? Does your department or the California POST recommend that technique?

I've never heard a person say "I shoot too accurately."
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #4805
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
It didn't make it through the other side of the vehicle. For reference, this was on an Explorer. I do believe construction matters, but because pillars are strong and are designed to maintain integrity during a rollover, they are good points of cover should a vehicle be your only option and you have a mobile opponent.
The shot made it through the pillar but not through the other side of the car. Got it. So, the pillar itself isn't cover, but the pillar plus the other side of the car may be.

What I've learned shooting into and out of cars: cars may be cover. It really depends.

The B pillar itself is only a few inches wide, but it is thicker than air.

And if you ever need to shoot through a vehicle, use P for Plenty. Shoot a bunch of rounds in the hope that some make it through.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25115.00
      11-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #4806
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

As a LEO, you are held to a higher standard, as you should be. You should be attempting to use a proper sight picture and sight alignment when you are able. If you are grappling with a suspect and you can't physically do that, then I understand that an "un-aimed" shot is appropriate, but everyone of your bullets has a lawyer attached to it who is looking for a reason to blame you. And in today's climate, the cop is a target.
What makes you think a proper sight picture isn't preferred? We are well aware that we're accountable for every round that leaves our duty weapon(s). You make it sound like we'd treat the decision to shoot in a wanton and reckless manner. Maybe there's something being lost in translation where this discourse is concerned.

Quote:
…"we are trained to shoot the entire area from neck to belly bottom, shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip" Really? You're happy with just hitting anywhere on the torso? You don't want to try to do better? You're happy with lower standards?

Yes, we are trained to shoot in that general area as it's considered a good hit. Sure, there are more accuracy points awarded depending on impact zone (…when we are qualifying), but in a self defense situation, a good hit is a good hit. I would love to put you through a scenario and see how you do. You might be surprised.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #4807
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I won't argue that point because I agree. Most gun owners in general aren't very proficient when it comes to shooting, so I extrapolate that to law enforcement as well. As professionals, we don't shoot nearly as much as we should…….even less so with people holding onto their ammo because of expense/shortages. I personally try to put 100 rounds through one of my handguns or rifles at least once a month depending on what ammo I can find at a decent price. I try not to shoot any of my surplus rounds. We qualify every three months, so I can usually get the range Deputy to sling me 50 rounds to put through my duty gun on the county's dollar.

Pistols accomplish the job more often than not. The other person's survival (…or not) isn't my concern in those moments I'm pulling the trigger. Only my survival is imperative. As long as I stop the threat and I am still alive and breathing, the pistol I used to achieve that has performed to my level of expectation.

At what point did anybody suggest any of this??!?!
Well said on all points, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #4808
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:

Moved to our new place this time last year. There are 3 range/clubs within an hours drive, not one is even taking names to go on their waiting list. I let my membership laps at my last club because it'd be a 4 hour drive to go shooting. My wife and I are actually taking about buying a small farm close to where we live for an investment and a place to shoot. Ammo is the other issue, I've been stocking up a bit but seriously there isn't much selection.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615281.50
      11-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #4809
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
What makes you think a proper sight picture isn't preferred? We are well aware that we're accountable for every round that leaves our duty weapon(s). You make it sound like we'd treat the decision to shoot in a wanton and reckless manner. Maybe there's something being lost in translation where this discourse is concerned.

Yes, we are trained to shoot in that general area as it's considered a good hit. Sure, there are more accuracy points awarded depending on impact zone (…when we are qualifying), but in a self defense situation, a good hit is a good hit. I would love to put you through a scenario and see how you do. You might be surprised.
You may be right that there is something lost in translation. In an ideal world you'd get a perfect sight picture of centre mass and the sun would be at your back, the temp would be a moderate 70F with perfect humidity and you'd have all the time in the world to make your decision to shoot or not, and your target would be standing perfectly still. Kind of like a paper range target. The fact remains, you will almost assuredly have to make a split second decision, in low light conditions, you'll likely be physically off balance, you will suffer tunnel vision and hearing depravation, your target will be moving and you'll have to take into account what's behind your target.....and you have 2.5 seconds to manage this decision and perform the task. And if you get your round(s) off and stop the threat you will then have to render first aid immediately, call for assistance, EMS, Supervisor, CIB and Ident. You'll have to coordinate all those resources as they arrive and also try to gather your thoughts to justify everything you just did. Oh, and don't use any profanity in the fight for your life because of cameras.

The point is the training and reality is that this is more than any range shooting, so when I said you don't get a perfect sight picture this is what I was referring too.

We trained to identify the threat, react, decide and discharge our firearm in short order. Winning the fight means stopping the threat, so getting rounds on target as quickly as possible is the objective. If you are shooting at a close range, obtaining a proper sight picture is likely not a great possibility if you want to survive.

Practice to improve all of your skills is important because what will happen in this situation is that you will rely on muscle memory as you likely won't have the time to do all those things consciously. As I said earlier, we often trained shooting in a dark range, with a set of roof lights providing our only light source, we would get a two or three second target exposure and be expected to issue the police challenge (create positive witnesses) or to fire a number of rounds before the target turned away. Some of this training involved shooting from the hip, zero sight picture, complete instinctive shooting. The idea being is to develop confidence with your firearm and try to prepare to win any fight you might find yourself in.

I will agree lots of cops don't shoot enough and aren't particularly good at it. They should be but as long as they qualify that's what's required. Having said that as was mentioned earlier, most people who shoot aren't terribly proficient with their tools, they might be confident but that isn't the same thing. Go to any range and this point will be bourn out quickly.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25115.00
      11-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #4810
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You may be right that there is something lost in translation. In an ideal world you'd get a perfect sight picture of centre mass and the sun would be at your back, the temp would be a moderate 70F with perfect humidity and you'd have all the time in the world to make your decision to shoot or not, and your target would be standing perfectly still. Kind of like a paper range target. The fact remains, you will almost assuredly have to make a split second decision, in low light conditions, you'll likely be physically off balance, you will suffer tunnel vision and hearing depravation, your target will be moving and you'll have to take into account what's behind your target.....and you have 2.5 seconds to manage this decision and perform the task. And if you get your round(s) off and stop the threat you will then have to render first aid immediately, call for assistance, EMS, Supervisor, CIB and Ident. You'll have to coordinate all those resources as they arrive and also try to gather your thoughts to justify everything you just did. Oh, and don't use any profanity in the fight for your life because of cameras.

The point is the training and reality is that this is more than any range shooting, so when I said you don't get a perfect sight picture this is what I was referring too.

We trained to identify the threat, react, decide and discharge our firearm in short order. Winning the fight means stopping the threat, so getting rounds on target as quickly as possible is the objective. If you are shooting at a close range, obtaining a proper sight picture is likely not a great possibility if you want to survive.

Practice to improve all of your skills is important because what will happen in this situation is that you will rely on muscle memory as you likely won't have the time to do all those things consciously. As I said earlier, we often trained shooting in a dark range, with a set of roof lights providing our only light source, we would get a two or three second target exposure and be expected to issue the police challenge (create positive witnesses) or to fire a number of rounds before the target turned away. Some of this training involved shooting from the hip, zero sight picture, complete instinctive shooting. The idea being is to develop confidence with your firearm and try to prepare to win any fight you might find yourself in.

I will agree lots of cops don't shoot enough and aren't particularly good at it. They should be but as long as they qualify that's what's required. Having said that as was mentioned earlier, most people who shoot aren't terribly proficient with their tools, they might be confident but that isn't the same thing. Go to any range and this point will be bourn out quickly.
You articulated that wonderfully; better than I could have done. The first few paragraphs really describe(d) what the situation is like for us in the field, 100% of the time. This is what people fail to understand and it outlines everything they don't take into account as it pertains to an OIS.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #4811
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Moved to our new place this time last year. There are 3 range/clubs within an hours drive, not one is even taking names to go on their waiting list.
This makes me think that buying/building a range is a viable retirement income source.

I did go as an invited guest to a "friend of a friend" private range on a nearby farm one time. The owner makes a call to the local police beforehand as a heads-up, and sometimes they show up to partake in the activities. I blame an hour in the sun that day for my subsequent 7-week hospital stay, and have not tried to get another invitation since.....
Murf99314114.00
      11-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #4812
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Moved to our new place this time last year. There are 3 range/clubs within an hours drive, not one is even taking names to go on their waiting list.
This makes me think that buying/building a range is a viable retirement income source.

I did go as an invited guest to a "friend of a friend" private range on a nearby farm one time. The owner makes a call to the local police beforehand as a heads-up, and sometimes they show up to partake in the activities. I blame an hour in the sun that day for my subsequent 7-week hospital stay, and have not tried to get another invitation since.....
I would love to have a private range.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615281.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #4813
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would love to have a private range.
I have yet to check the South Carolina laws, to see if I can set one up on our 5-acre retirement property. There's a natural backstop, so it wouldn't be a major project outside of cashing in early on the harvest of a few southern pine trees (the lot is currently a tree farm!) to clear a 100 yard lane.

Definitely a no-go in NY State, unless you have a *lot* of land to get the required spacings/buffers. We live surrounded by thousands of acres of county and state forests, and the town/state police would be here in minutes if someone discharged a firearm in our back yard. Given how difficult it was to get the coveted "golden ticket" (unrestricted CCW), the LAST thing that I want to do is make waves with the area LEO community.....
Murf99314114.00
      11-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #4814
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Today was a good day….

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 4
unluky7528.00
shoei7779.00
vreihen1615281.50
ramman434712.00
      11-06-2021, 10:37 PM   #4815
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Give us the Deets when you're done with the paperwork
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25115.00
      11-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #4816
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Give us the Deets when you're done with the paperwork
My beat partner obs a car occupied by three males parked [facing the wrong direction] in a high crime area (…possibly casing). A DMV records check revealed the registration was expired nearly six months, so my partner - who had a civilian ride-along with him - effected a traffic stop. During a pat down of the driver at the hood of the patrol car, my partner found a gun in his waistband. My partner requested back-up and we rolled Code 3 to his location to extract the regaining passengers out at gunpoint.

The civilian was pretty shook up and was hiding behind a patrol unit. It got real!
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7561.50
vreihen1615281.50
      11-07-2021, 01:07 AM   #4817
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Today was a good day….
Fucking jaywalkers. Amirite?!