F87Tomei
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.29]
E46 Owners Input Needed

Hi all,

Currently have an F87 M2 with the N55 engine and even though I love the car dearly, I’m just not completely happy with it.
I’ve had an E90 M3 so I’ve already experienced the fantastic S65 engine and I’m not interested in the S55 and S58 models.

Wanted to get some of your guys input on what to look for when buying one, how’s the daily drive ability, and the significant difference it has comparing to all the other M3s out there.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

M2 meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87Tomei View Post
Hi all,

Currently have an F87 M2 with the N55 engine and even though I love the car dearly, I’m just not completely happy with it.
I’ve had an E90 M3 so I’ve already experienced the fantastic S65 engine and I’m not interested in the S55 and S58 models.

Wanted to get some of your guys input on what to look for when buying one, how’s the daily drive ability, and the significant difference it has comparing to all the other M3s out there.

Thanks!
I bought a new M2 (2018) with manual transmission and hated it. Great power. Great grip. Loved the looks. Didn't sound half bad. But overall I did not like the car due to artificial steering feel, sloppy gear box, big visual display on the dash (even worse than iDrive on my e92) and unnatural power delivery.

In the same timeframe i've also owned an e92, and e36, and now have an e46.

The e46 is the best backroads driver by far out of all of them and the one I love most. Steering, gearbox, tossability factor, minimal cockpit technology, linear power delivery, etc. I think history will judge it as the best M3 generation. Everyone loves the S65 but the S54 is an absolute rev-happy sewing machine.

e36=thrasher go-kart. e92= grand tourer. This is all in my humble personal opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
Snagg30
Rep
Drives: G21

I have owned a X3M for 2 years now and i love it, but i has always felt alittle subtile and mellow. S58 engine is a beast of an engine, fast as hell with a nice power delivery.

2 months ago i bought a E46 M3 6mt and god damn that car is insane good, there is no point to compare it to the X3M because it is way beond bether on almost every aspect, even the power to weight ratio makes the car relative fast. I have put Cup2 tires on / bought turner motorsport plenum / scorpio exhaust / KW V2 suspension / Recaro CS seats and in my eyes this is the best car you could possible own. You get blown away of how raw and pure it feels, the mechanic feeling is so strong. It is the oposite of an X3M. You can hear and feel everything and that S54 is a 10/10 gurante smile on the face, every single trip.

Sorry for the bad english! Go buy the E46 M3 you want and enjoy it, it is the pinacle of BMW M division.
Appreciate 1
Gdwheel54.00