BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
inb4 manual people start talking about some other bullshit which would make no sense in this discussion. Let's talk about tires now. Or better yet, i bet they start talking about headlights and how they're only useful in a manual car.
Well, you never answered whether autonomous steering and braking wouldn't make your car faster on the track, taking the driver completely out of the equation. Would you argue for that, too? Would you prefer just a large remote-controlled slot car you can ride in on any track of your choice—controlled by either AI or some other entity? Is that still your idea of more fun?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #310
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Manual fanboys really couldn't just scroll past that post, they had to say something like, "NO WAY, MANUAL IS THE ONLY FUN YOU CAN HAVE! IF YOU DON'T DRIVE A MANUAL THAT MEANS YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL!" #SAVETHEDEADARTSOCALLEDMANUAL
So in your further effort to frame "manual fanboys" as some sort of inferior idiots, you blurt out that unhinged rant? Oh the irony.
      09-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #311
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Well, you never answered whether autonomous steering and braking wouldn't make your car faster on the track, taking the driver completely out of the equation. Would you argue for that, too? Would you prefer just a large remote-controlled slot car you can ride in on any track of your choice—controlled by either AI or some other entity? Is that still your idea of more fun?
Why would i answer that? That has NOTHING TO DO with what this whole thing started with.

AGAIN, let me explain it.

People have the implication that you can "ONLY" have fun driving if it's a manual. I said that is false.

People started to talk about other things because they use irrelevant scenarios to derail a thread, which what happened, because they have no clue on how to battle the original question/thought at hand.

It's already debunked that people can only have fun in a manual. Add the other bullshit you want in the mix, it's ok.

Just know that moving foward, your passion for manual will soon be extinct. So there will be nothing to fight for. You can have your passion, and it's fine. But your battle is already over. You guys lost. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #312
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
So in your further effort to frame "manual fanboys" as some sort of inferior idiots, you blurt out that unhinged rant? Oh the irony.

Read the entire thread.

Your precious manual club was doing the same thing about automatic drivers.

Oh the irony.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:45 PM   #313
SteezeforMyBimmerMon
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M2, '22 Subaru Outback

I do miss it but I suspect I may buy another before they are all gone. If anything, it is good for anti-theft.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:00 PM   #314
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteezeforMyBimmerMon View Post
I do miss it but I suspect I may buy another before they are all gone. If anything, it is good for anti-theft.
That's a pretty good point. Wonder why thieves can't drive a stick?

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:56 PM   #315
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Why would i answer that? That has NOTHING TO DO with what this whole thing started with.
How many times have you told us how much faster you and your automatic are on the track, as if how fast you can drive a car that does some of the work for you has something to do with "this whole thing". So, if faster is your goal, why not let the computers do your steering and braking? Wouldn't that be "better"?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #316
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Read the entire thread.

Your precious manual club was doing the same thing about automatic drivers.

Oh the irony.
My "precious manual club". Do you have ANY self-awareness??

So be the bigger man and don't be a penis wrinkle. It's a bad look - no matter what someone else said that somehow made you feel justified in being an idiot yourself.
      09-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #317
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
That's a pretty good point. Wonder why thieves can't drive a stick?

Shawn
Because like 1% of Americans under 25 can drive a stick.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      09-11-2022, 06:00 AM   #318
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How many times have you told us how much faster you and your automatic are on the track, as if how fast you can drive a car that does some of the work for you has something to do with "this whole thing". So, if faster is your goal, why not let the computers do your steering and braking? Wouldn't that be "better"?
Read the thread.

Someone said you can ONLY have fun in a manual. I said that wasn't true.

Which is still the case. Everything else was just icing on the cake.

Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #319
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
I assume this post was directed at me?

If so, i'm 40. So not exactly young? I been driving manuals since 15. Way before i got my license. I always had at least ONE manual car since the age of 15. I still have a manual car now. My C7Z. Insane car. Wish it was the auto.

I am not saying you guys are wrong for enjoying manual driving.

I said you guys are wrong for stating you can ONLY enjoy a manual.
If you had read my post carefully you would realize it never said that others cant or should not enjoy an auto more only that I dont enjoy it more. I have never had a stick as my daily driver and have had plenty of cars with auto that I have loved but for me manual will always be my favorite. I am happy for you that you love auto so much as that is the future for sure. I am the one that will have to adapt
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:45 AM   #320
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

So, I searched the Thread on the word "only". The word is found in 81 posts out of the 319 posts in the Thread; keep in mind that count includes duplicate "quoted" posts in other people's replies.

Post #184 is the first time anyone in the Thread made the statement that "you can only have fun driving a manual". Post #184 was written by you. As I wrote a few days ago, you are only arguing with yourself. NO ONE else has made that point. None of the manual transmission advocates on this Thread have emphatically stated they "can only have fun shifting a manual transmission".

It is only in your head dude, and you keep repeating it like some Diehard Advocate for the Manual Transmission made the argument first and you have to defend the manual-shifting automatic transmission because you think others believe they can't enjoy or have fun driving a car with an automatic transmission (even in manual mode).

You really need to drop it. LOL

330i guy said it.

And another person said automatic is like 95% manual. And i corrected him and said 90%. Because it is.

Automatic, whether in auto or manual mode (better in manual mode) holds the RPM's, just a manual would.

Automatic, whether in auto or manual mode (probably better in manual mode to satisfy the purists, would be as enjoyable as a manual would.

My take on the 90/10% means it obviously can't be 100% because that 10% requires a clutch pedal and your constant need to shift your own gears.

A proper auto/dct will eliminate that 10% providing the same enjoyable experience.

You really need to drop it LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #321
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
If you had read my post carefully you would realize it never said that others cant or should not enjoy an auto more only that I dont enjoy it more. I have never had a stick as my daily driver and have had plenty of cars with auto that I have loved but for me manual will always be my favorite. I am happy for you that you love auto so much as that is the future for sure. I am the one that will have to adapt
I do love auto more and it is the future. In fact there won't be an "auto" in the future anyway since we're all going EV.

I've had countless manual dailys. Was great when i was younger. My most recent manual daily was my wrx. I hated it 1 month into the lease. Couldn't stand doing the dance anymore. That's when i knew the love was completely gone.

It's ok to have manual as your favorite.

I was only correcting some flaws in some of the posts. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #322
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List

You can definitely enjoy autos!!!
      09-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #323
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I've had countless manual dailys. Was great when i was younger. My most recent manual daily was my wrx. I hated it 1 month into the lease. Couldn't stand doing the dance anymore. That's when i knew the love was completely gone.
Again, your bias is related to your Jersey commute. And you still say the auto-box is faster on the track. So, answer the question: If autonomous steering and braking were available to you for the track and made your track times faster, would you also adopt those "features"?

Those of us in the country where sports car driving began before there were tracks will never understand why anyone would own what we call "M-cars" today in your driving environment. Your daily driver should be mass transit and then maybe your bias would be different.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #324
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, your bias is related to your Jersey commute. And you still say the auto-box is faster on the track. So, answer the question: If autonomous steering and braking were available to you for the track and made your track times faster, would you also adopt those "features"?

Those of us in the country where sports car driving began before there were tracks will never understand why anyone would own what we call "M-cars" today in your driving environment. Your daily driver should be mass transit and then maybe your bias would be different.
The auto being faster talk is just a bonus. I am speaking the same way everyone else is speaking.

We all like, want, drive and enjoy whatever we like. That's what makes all of us different.

All i was correcting was the general consensus of the manual side that think you can only enjoy driving if the car was a manual. Meaning if someone who had no cars and someone said, ok here's 50 grand, go buy a car you'll enjoy. Then they say at same time, "but you can only enjoy the car if it's a manual so spend that money wisely.".

That's basically the implication among manual purists on this forum, or ANY forum. In any thread where the discussion is about manual or auto. Doesn't really have to pertain only to this particular thread.

People stated their opinion on that. But all it takes is 1 person to disagree with that making that statement of "only" totally untrue.

That was my whole point in this thread.

I don't go to the track so i can't and won't comment on autonomous whatever. Because that will derail the thread even more.
      09-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #325
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't go to the track so i can't and won't comment on autonomous whatever. Because that will derail the thread even more.
So, you basically just commute in NJ and pontificate about the superiority of an automatic transmission? No wonder we're laughing at your perseverance in this protracted thread.

Your first post in this thread really tells us all we need to know about your perspective, frame of reference, and bias:
Quote:
If i lived near an area with twisties, or if i was a track go'er, then i'll keep some sort of manual car for that purpose. But street driving a manual car? Fuck that shit.

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 09-11-2022 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17315.00
      09-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #326
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
It's fun to only drive a manual

😏
BGM … you take the bait every time 😂😂😂😂 I purposely did not say it's "only fun" —
You are so easily triggered… get your facts straight!
EVERYTHING here (you like all caps so here you go!) is OPINION.

*Unsubscribed*
you killed the fun out of these forums.
Nice work
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17315.00
      09-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #327
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL. Aaaahhh, no he didn't. Seriously.

Bingo! "Constant need". There's the difference - CONTROL. We manual diehards like the "constant need" because it brings 100% control.

:Peace Out:

Automatic = 90% manual. 10% is because of the clutch pedal and the need to shift all the time.

Automatic = Can provide control as well

Automatic = Can be AS ENJOYABLE as a manual

The most rudimentary version available for you.

:audi5000:
      09-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #328
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, you basically just commute in NJ and pontificate about the superiority of an automatic transmission? No wonder we're laughing at your perseverance in this protracted thread.

Your first post in this thread really tells us all we need to know about your perspective, frame of reference, and bias:
You can say what you want, the ONLY person winning at this debate is me

And the replies pouring in was proof.

Remember what i said earlier about manual guys pouring in as if they need to build their army?

Jesus christ i'm smart as fuck.
      09-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #329
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
If there was a woman with a giant cardboard check at the end of the race waiting on me? Absolutely.

But for what we do? Not always. But, current auto's (the last 15 years) have come so, so far, that it's a decent compromise to give up the third pedal for the advantages. At least for me. Maybe not everybody, but for me yes.

See you at VIR next weekend?

Shawn
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      09-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #330
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
If there was a woman with a giant cardboard check at the end of the race waiting on me? Absolutely.

But for what we do? Not always. But, current auto's (the last 15 years) have come so, so far, that it's a decent compromise to give up the third pedal for the advantages. At least for me. Maybe not everybody, but for me yes.

See you at VIR next weekend?

Shawn
He'll show up in the manual, end up in last place and tell you, "But i bet i HAD MORE FUN THAN YOU!!!"