E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

10-09-2022, 01:45 AM   #1
Bmwe46forlife
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 e46

Need Advice on a new purchase - please help

Hi everyone - just joined this forum.

A little back story - I used to own a 01 laguna blue e46 m3 6 speed. I LOVED the car. I owned it from 2006 to 2016. Sold it in 2016 because it was getting expensive to maintain and to be honest, I was getting sick of the color.

Recently, I have had this desire to buy another e46 to keep forever. I really miss driving it, especially the manual 6 speed.

I live in Canada and I came across a white BMW m3 e46 with 113k KM. This is the equivalent of around 65K miles. So yes, very low mileage. BTW, I love alpine white, its my favorite color on this car. The car looks so nice!

The thing is, the car does NOT have the typical binder of maintenance records showing that the car was meticulously maintained. When I read people talking about buying these e46 in 2021 or 2022, its all about finding a "clean" one that has been well taken care of.

Lets suppose this previous owner did NOT baby this car. LEts say he just did the standard oil changes every year and thats it. If this car passes a Pre purchase inspection with no major issues noted, would you consider this to be "clean"? I am aware of the big 3 and the owner has said that none have been done. He also said that there is no warning signs showing that these 3 things need to be fixed right now too.

There are lots of cosmetic flaws on the car which are easy to fix. My biggest concern is whats the likelihood of me buying this and having tons of things to replace? Things like suspension parts, engine parts, etc.. For now, lets exclude the big 3.

One thing I am envious of forum members is that everyone seems to have such a good understanding of car mechanics - I dont know any of this stuff. I dont even know how to do an oil change.

Would really appreciate some insight. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

two pieces of advice:

1) pay for a comprehensive pre purchase inspection at a BMW dealer or well respected independent shop

2) you're buying the seller as much as you are buying the car. speak with him in person. see where the car lives. ask him how he has maintained the car. observe the condition of his garage and his other cars. reference check him if possible. look for little things on the car that show pride of ownership or lack there of. use your gut instinct.

If you choose to buy it, budget for the big 3 and a complete service.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Bmwe46forlife
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 e46

Thank you for your reply.

The previous owner did NOT baby it. He is the second owner and had it from 2019 till now. He only put on 13k KM a(ie around 7-8k miles).

I know he didnt put money into it because he has neglected some small things so as far as I am concerned, he definitely did not maintain it.

Having said this, the car only has around 65k miles so even if it was not babied, its only been driven a minimal amount. I would be more worried if the car had say, 150k miles and it was not babied - that seems to be more worrisome, or am I wrong?

Again, I will get a inspection done at bmw, but i dont foresee them pointing out major things because the seller did one in 2019 when he purchased the car, and there were minimal issues. I dont expect much to change since only 7-8k miles were driven since that time.

I am just concerned that I am going to get something that is going to bleed cash. I can certainly afford it, but I am someone is frugal with my money and dont want to be out of pocket 5k every year. I dont mind spending 3-4k to get some parts replaced right when I get the car, however, if its something I have to do every year, that would annoy me. If that is the case, I dont think I would want to buy it.

I live in Canada and can only drive this thing around 4-5 months a year so it has to be worth it for me

Would appreciate some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Sounds like you sold you LSB right before values skyrocketed. Have you seen what they sell for on the auction sites?

More to the point - my general answer to questions like yours is if you can DIY the small stuff yourself the ownership experience will be more enjoyable and affordable.

Don't go for a PPI to the same place current owner went, find someone who knows BMWs. I'd be concerned whether the car has ever had a valve adjustment. BTW "standard" BMW oil interval was not every year, if this guy did that I'd consider it a plus. GL whatever you decide.
      10-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
DoubleAces
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Why was your old LSB car expensive to maintain? If you're on top of maintenance, the car is pretty stout from my experience and I'm over 100K miles. My big 3 is taken care of and aside from oil changes and valve adjustment at 30K intervals, it doesn't need much.

It sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into. Like everyone said, start with the PPI.
Appreciate 0