BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #45
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Wild! Crazy to hear of another that's effectively identical. Ours let loose at like 38k? It was discovered when my wife was backing out of the driveway to go pick up groceries. When she got back she had said that "something didn't feel right." I hopped in for a quick run around the neighborhood to see what was going on and realized immediately. It was as if the center differential was locked when turning in the cul-de-sac. Tried turning the terrain selection knob thinking something got bumped and then it just locked me out. Had to tow from there. The dealer showed me the cracked open case and could see that lots let loose.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the GX. Those have also been on my radar - just a fancy Land Cruiser Prado which is fine by me. Do you find it to be more refined and more options than that of the 4Runner? I'd venture to say no seeing your comment of it being from a different era
The dealer said they'd never seen so many codes and just started replacing stuff. Their diagnosis was a faulty transfer case. Certainly didn't instill any confidence that it'd take us the places we wanted to go. And like I said, blessed it happened before our trip because we we went out about 20 miles out of cell service on forest roads in 17° weather.

A GX is just a posh version of a 4runner (and Prado in other markets). Same frame, mostly same suspension with keyless, V8, quiet, tri-climate, etc. It's dated compared to most cars out there when you look at infotainment and interior design but we quickly got over it-as in the second we drove off the lot.. Go test drive one, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised just don't expect good mpg's! We like ours so much were tempted to go trade it in on a new one

I recommend the premium or luxury trims since those have captains chairs. All gx460s have third row and I'll warn that cargo space is useless with it up.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #46
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
By the way, I like your kitted out land cruiser and m2 pairing:
Excellent - looks like a nice 62! I've got a Collectors Edition 80 with the magic dial next to the steering wheel. She's a brute! Took her out in the national forest last weekend and have an extended camping trip for next weekend. Just keeps truckin'!
Wow in love. Beautiful!
      02-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #47
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post
Quote:
Wild! Crazy to hear of another that's effectively identical. Ours let loose at like 38k? It was discovered when my wife was backing out of the driveway to go pick up groceries. When she got back she had said that "something didn't feel right." I hopped in for a quick run around the neighborhood to see what was going on and realized immediately. It was as if the center differential was locked when turning in the cul-de-sac. Tried turning the terrain selection knob thinking something got bumped and then it just locked me out. Had to tow from there. The dealer showed me the cracked open case and could see that lots let loose.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the GX. Those have also been on my radar - just a fancy Land Cruiser Prado which is fine by me. Do you find it to be more refined and more options than that of the 4Runner? I'd venture to say no seeing your comment of it being from a different era
The dealer said they'd never seen so many codes and just started replacing stuff. Their diagnosis was a faulty transfer case. Certainly didn't instill any confidence that it'd take us the places we wanted to go. And like I said, blessed it happened before our trip because we we went out about 20 miles out of cell service on forest roads in 17° weather.

A GX is just a posh version of a 4runner (and Prado in other markets). Same frame, mostly same suspension with keyless, V8, quiet, tri-climate, etc. It's dated compared to most cars out there when you look at infotainment and interior design but we quickly got over it-as in the second we drove off the lot.. Go test drive one, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised just don't expect good mpg's! We like ours so much were tempted to go trade it in on a new one

I recommend the premium or luxury trims since those have captains chairs. All gx460s have third row and I'll warn that cargo space is useless with it up.

Used Gx460 is worth a look if you can find one with captains seats .. but Lexus and Toyota infotainment is so outdated in those.

I've been searching for an '04+ GX470 with KDSS and non-nav for 6 or so years (so we can replace the head unit because Lexus/Toyota was dumb and integrated HVAC and audio into one unit).
      02-27-2021, 01:43 AM   #48
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I will never, ever, ever understand climate control. Ever.

I absolutely, positively LOATHE it.

Give me a knob that goes from cold to warm, it was so fucking simple. This is because it is not just about the temp in the car but the temp of the air coming into the car. On a cold day, i want slightly warm air or even some fresh air as the car can get stuffy. Instead, if the car is say 10 degrees and you have CC set to 18 degrees, it just blows crazy hot until the cabin gets to 18. Opposite applies on warm days.

Drives me fucking insane.
You know I really used to feel this way too until I got used to using the hot/cold dial that's on most modern BMWs. You set the climate control to whatever temp you like, and typically it doesn't have to deviate to account for external temp. And then if you want to bias the air from the top vents towards cooler or warmer, use the hot/cold dial.

So if it's 10 outside and you have it set at 18, set the dial to blue.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #49
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post

Exact scenario why the Jeep is a full stop for us now. Glad it wasn’t worse for you guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #50
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Off topic - Great arsenal. My side of the garage is N54 135i & FJ60.

On topic - Don't confuse your wants/needs with your wife's. As much as I wanted to put mine in a 200 series land cruiser, it was overkill for day to day driving. She ended up in a Sequoia and it's been ROCK solid. I'd highly recommend a Toyota Highlander or Lexus SUV.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #51
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

buy the lowest mileage x5 you can. Need me to take a pic of my x5 next to my FZJ80?

Last edited by rcracin; 02-27-2021 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
chassis6375.00
Vivek.1363.50
      02-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #52
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Quote:

Off topic - Great arsenal. My side of the garage is N54 135i & FJ60.

On topic - Don't confuse your wants/needs with your wife's. As much as I wanted to put mine in a 200 series land cruiser, it was overkill for day to day driving. She ended up in a Sequoia and it's been ROCK solid. I'd highly recommend a Toyota Highlander or Lexus SUV.
I tried talking my wife into TRD Sequoia, she didn't like how it drives.

She also (which really ripped my heart out) didn't like how the new defender 110 drove (but it looks like maintenance and reliability wise, she's just saving us from massive headaches).
      02-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #53
JoeViiserd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Good afternoon, recently bought a BMW 5 Series. It's a great car, just a 201. The stereo system is now obsolete and needs to be replaced. I have found a solution to this problem. I managed to find a BMW 5 Series F10 Android Car Stereo Navigation https://smarty-trend.com/bmw-5-serie...head-unit.html. This is the best Hi-End premium head unit.

Last edited by JoeViiserd; 02-03-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #54
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

OP, if you get a 4runner do not get the TRD exhaust that comes on the Pro. Like I said earlier, we modded my wife's 2020 4runner ORP to be a Pro and that included the $700 TRD exhaust. I didn't want to do it because my experience with V6s and exhausts is that they sound like crap and drone, but my wife wanted it because it sounded "cool". Today we drove 200 miles to Wichita today which was through a constant 20mph+ headwind and lots of very long and steep hills through the Flint Hills of south central Kansas. The 4runner was bouncing between 5th and 4th and when in 4th, the drone set in. It was exhausting. The truck only managed 16mpg too. LOL Towards the end of trip I learned the key was to keep it under 78mph and when in cruise control, give it a little throttle myself going up hills to unlock the torque converter in 5th gear and keep it from downshifting to 4th. Whoever at Toyota did the shift logic should be shot. It is seriously bad in those situations. There is no need for a downshift into 4th. This truck definitely prefers sub 75 mph cruising on fairly flat topography.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #55
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
OP, if you get a 4runner do not get the TRD exhaust that comes on the Pro. Like I said earlier, we modded my wife's 2020 4runner ORP to be a Pro and that included the $700 TRD exhaust. I didn't want to do it because my experience with V6s and exhausts is that they sound like crap and drone, but my wife wanted it because it sounded "cool". Today we drove 200 miles to Wichita today which was through a constant 20mph+ headwind and lots of very long and steep hills through the Flint Hills of south central Kansas. The 4runner was bouncing between 5th and 4th and when in 4th, the drone set in. It was exhausting. The truck only managed 16mpg too. LOL Towards the end of trip I learned the key was to keep it under 78mph and when in cruise control, give it a little throttle myself going up hills to unlock the torque converter in 5th gear and keep it from downshifting to 4th. Whoever at Toyota did the shift logic should be shot. It is seriously bad in those situations. There is no need for a downshift into 4th. This truck definitely prefers sub 75 mph cruising on fairly flat topography.
I'm sure gearing is a little influenced by off-roading too. Drone sucks in a sports car, let alone a family suv, no thanks!
      03-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #56
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Welp, thanks for the conversation everyone! Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a low mileage 2019 4Runner TRD Pro. We didn't want the new safety items that come on the '21s, but did want the newer Fox suspension. Figured we would have settled on a newer ORP and made some changes, but got the TRD Pro at effectively the same price as a new ORP. The 2019 is a sweet spot in that it comes with the items we do want and doesn't come with the items we do not want. Exception to that is the newer LED headlights and the updated infotainment. Both of which are super easy change outs. Excited to pick it up! Schedule is a bit wonky for me right now, so I'll get it here in a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #57
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is this to say that all TRD Pros come with this exhaust? Breaking down the VIN gives a ton of information - even down to what was installed at the port and at the factory, all the options, etc. I do not see TRD exhaust listed anywhere on the build, even under standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #58
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is this to say that all TRD Pros come with this exhaust? Breaking down the VIN gives a ton of information - even down to what was installed at the port and at the factory, all the options, etc. I do not see TRD exhaust listed anywhere on the build, even under standard equipment.
The TRD exhaust started in coming on the Pros in 2020. Yours won't have it and don't get it. It sounds pretty nice around town, but isn't worth it on the highway. The 4runner is loud enough on the highway with all terrain tires. You don't need an exhaust compounding the issue.

Given that you're in super flat Florida and heavy wind isn't much of an issue, you won't have to deal with some of the issues I have to. Your MPGs should be much better too.

Along with that headunit, upgrade the speakers to something like OEM+ or other speakers. The stock speakers are absolute garbage and just a speaker upgrade (not amp) makes a huge difference.
      03-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #59
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Do you a absolutely need a suv/truck? Just two kids right? Here's and outside the box option:

Used Panamera Hybrid S.

I'm considering one myself, they are a steal right now.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      03-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #60
DYoung
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW 228i  [9.50]
Have you considered a Chevy Tahoe? We recently picked up a 2019 Tahoe in your price range. It's my wife's daily driver. She loves it. Lots of room for kids and still has room for groceries. It's great for road trips, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #61
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Do you a absolutely need a suv/truck? Just two kids right? Here's and outside the box option:

Used Panamera Hybrid S.

He wants simple, reliable, and affordable
      03-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #62
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

Used Panamera Hybrid S.

Quote:
Beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoung View Post
Have you considered a Chevy Tahoe? We recently picked up a 2019 Tahoe in your price range. It's my wife's daily driver. She loves it. Lots of room for kids and still has room for groceries. It's great for road trips, too.
I had brought it up with her, but her sister has one that she drove and really did not like it. She's generally not too vocal on things like this, so when she said she didn't really care for it, I immediately had to scratch it off the list. I don't think they're a bad option, though!

We're looking forward to the new Toyota. Will make for an interesting garage parked next to the 80 Series.

Up next is go fast toy for me... Thinking an older E46 M, or if their value doesn't get out there, E86 M.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #63
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
You can get a used one for $30-40k now, so it's affordable! They are fairly reliable, not Toyota reliable, but solid builds.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #64
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I will second the Rav4/Highlander, you can buy these new with incredible financing deals currently (with really good maintenance packages) ..Toyota used market is incredibly competitive, depreciation is less for Toyota SUV's than most others .. and I will also second the New Mazda CX-5/9 .. dependable and you get a ton for your money.
Nobody is buying Highlanders because they get stolen every other month. I know a guy that is on his fourth in two years.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #65
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Volvo wagon. Check one out.
      03-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #66
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Nobody is buying Highlanders because they get stolen every other month. I know a guy that is on his fourth in two years.
This is one of the few reasons I have no interest in another Highlander (my wife has a 2015). The amount of Highlanders and Lexus RX350 that are stolen is ridiculous. My neighbour's RX350 was stolen in under a minute.

Up until recently, the Highlander had no tracking/telematics. I don't think the RX350 does either. By the time the theft is reported, these vehicles are on a ship in Montreal on their way overseas.
Appreciate 1