Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
E46m3zcp
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
CMP Solid Raising Subframe Bushings

I'm looking at putting reinforcement plates to address the RACP issue. I read CMP engineering's technical article about their solid "raising" bushings but I don't understand.

Here is what I do understand:
Plates will increase the distance between the CG and the subframe mount points. The height of the subframe w.r.t the ground will not change, so the height of the Center of Rotation (CR) will not be affected. Since the distance between the CG and CR increases, the torque exerted at the CR will increase, thus increasing body roll when cornering.

So far so good...

So how exactly are "raising" bushings fixing this problem?

What are they raising? Subframe Bushings are inserted between the subframe and the chassis
  • If they are thicker bushing raising the body w.r.t. the subframe is counterproductive (it's increasing the distance between the CG and CR further more).
  • If they are raising the subframe w.r.t the ground they aren't affecting the distance between the CG and CR because the CG will get higher, too. The lever-arm effect will still be greater and so will the body roll.

I don't get how these work. If someone does, I'd be grateful for the explanation

Another quick related question is: how much will plates affect the suspension geometry, really.... ? It's just raising by a few millimeters after all, isn't it?

Last edited by E46m3zcp; 03-19-2022 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
E46m3zcp
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Detailed answer provided by CMP engineering here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...frame-bushings
Appreciate 0