BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-05-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Unhappy Lotus Evora GT is not what I expected

Hi all!

I went to the Lotus dealer to check out my current automotive crush—the new Emira—and ended up test driving an Evora GT instead. (They didn’t have an Emira demonstrator on hand.) The Evora is a car I strongly considered buying 3 years ago, so it was great to finally drive one!

Lotus, to me, is a halo brand for talkative steering. For this reason, I expected the Evora GT to have the perfect combination of extraordinary steering feel, mid-engine sports car moves, and evocative styling. Well, two out of three isn’t bad…right?

The styling was a knock-out (especially in vivid green), the brakes saved me from rear ending a bonehead SUV driver, the chassis had grip for days, and the engine had a fantastic roar. But the steering…

Honestly, I was let down by the steering. Yes, it was quick and communicative, but I wanted Lotus Elise or 997 911 GT3 levels of feel and feedback, and the Evora GT didn't have that.

(Here is a link to my full writeup on the drive.)

The experience has me questioning my Emira crush, because I’ve heard its steering is even less lively than the Evora’s. Once the dealership has an Emira demonstrator, I’ll try it for myself and see. But in the meantime, I’m full of mixed feelings about the Evora GT and Emira.

Best,
Mike

11-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I think Lotus is a very different philosophy from Porsche. Lotus has always been about less weight to get the job done, where as Porsche is a heavier more powerful approach. Both great cars just different. I wouldn't mind some seat time in a Lotus. I know there is a guy on this forum with an older Lotus, lots of photos on the Cool pic car thread. You should PM him to get his take on them.

I could be wrong but try @Mphatic , says he's got an Exige in his profile.

Last edited by Murf the Surf; 11-05-2023 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Love me some Elise and Exige. If the market didn't go full retard on them, I'd have one.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 2
414bhp139.50
      11-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #4
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I think Lotus is a very different philosophy from Porsche. Lotus has always been about less weight to get the job done, where as Porsche is a heavier more powerful approach. Both great cars just different. I wouldn't mind some seat time in a Lotus. I know there is a guy on this forum with an older Lotus, lots of photos on the Cool pic car thread. You should PM him to get his take on them.

In this case the Lotus Evora GT is a little heavier than the competing Porsche 718 Cayman. I thought I'd like like the Evora much more than a Cayman GTS or GT4, but it didn't turn out that way.
      11-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Love me some Elise and Exige. If the market didn't go full retard on them, I'd have one.
Have you driven the end of the run Evoras? What did you think of them?
      11-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
He calls himself ///MPhatic and he posted pictures of a Lotus he claimed his as well.

Last edited by No one; 11-05-2023 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Corrected the "tricky" reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I visited a Lotus dealer a long time ago to check out a 2005 Elise and had to wedge myself in. I’m only 5’7”. Needless to say, it was a non starter for me despite being a great concept for a car. It was just a wee bit too small. I think the Evora was designed to mitigate that while also being a bit more luxurious. The Emira is basically an updated Evora, so much so, the engine, chassis and drivetrain are all the same.

I do think the refreshed Emira with either engine is a potentially great competitor to the 718 and allows you to buy a sports car that doesn’t stand in the shadow of a more expensive vehicle (e.g. 911). Unfortunately Lotus has been dealing with a lot of issues and they also are not a high volume company so anything needing fixing requires a long lead time. Coupled with the fact that there are just a handful of dealers, I unwound my deposit in fair quick order after all those discoveries.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #8
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Have you driven the end of the run Evoras? What did you think of them?
I have not
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
414bhp139.50
      11-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #9
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I visited a Lotus dealer a long time ago to check out a 2005 Elise and had to wedge myself in. I’m only 5’7”. Needless to say, it was a non starter for me despite being a great concept for a car. It was just a wee bit too small. I think the Evora was designed to mitigate that while also being a bit more luxurious. The Emira is basically an updated Evora, so much so, the engine, chassis and drivetrain are all the same.

I do think the refreshed Emira with either engine is a potentially great competitor to the 718 and allows you to buy a sports car that doesn’t stand in the shadow of a more expensive vehicle (e.g. 911). Unfortunately Lotus has been dealing with a lot of issues and they also are not a high volume company so anything needing fixing requires a long lead time. Coupled with the fact that there are just a handful of dealers, I unwound my deposit in fair quick order after all those discoveries.
Too small at 5' 7"? I'm 5' 8" and fit fine in them & my 6 Miatas.

I just find that odd unless you are also 250 lbs or something then it makes sense
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 09:53 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The Evora, for some reason, just doesn't look quite right. Never driven one though I read a few of your reviews and found them interesting.

The Emira looks a million times better but I hear mixed reviews of the steering and i'd steer well clear of UK based reviews, they love everything Lotus.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      11-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #11
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post

Oh, you had a deposit and backed away! Yikes, okay. I usually feel comfortable with less reliable vehicles so long as they are in warranty, but if parts availability is a big problem, that could sour the experience.
      11-06-2023, 06:11 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, you had a deposit and backed away! Yikes, okay. I usually feel comfortable with less reliable vehicles so long as they are in warranty, but if parts availability is a big problem, that could sour the experience.
Search some YouTube videos and read the Lotus forums. It’s not going exceptionally well…..and it’s not just the Internet forums amplifying complaints. There are plenty of ghost electronics problems and so on. Of course the Toyota motor is excellent as you’d expect. I haven’t seen much on the AMG motor since I dropped track and the v6 was the only thing you could get as part of the first edition.

They may get all these issues worked out, but I don’t want to pay about $100k and have to keep sending the car to the dealer which is 150 miles away for me.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:16 AM   #13
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Too small at 5' 7"? I'm 5' 8" and fit fine in them & my 6 Miatas.

I just find that odd unless you are also 250 lbs or something then it makes sense
I’m 210……not exactly a running back build.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:20 AM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The Evora, for some reason, just doesn't look quite right. Never driven one though I read a few of your reviews and found them interesting.

The Emira looks a million times better but I hear mixed reviews of the steering and i'd steer well clear of UK based reviews, they love everything Lotus.
I think it’s refreshing that Lotus has an alternative to the Cayman and Alpine that you can’t get in the US. It’s just less risky to buy a similarly priced Cayman/ Boxster and have fewer worries knowing you’re going to get a reliable and well performing car.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Give it 5 years for them to get the Emira sorted, and you'll be good (and aftermarket will help the steering).

But don't ever think the Evora/Emira is a real Lotus, because it's not.

If you want a real Lotus it's Elise/Exige, all the way. Even the Esprit, love the look as I do, is a fat cat with more issues than accolades.

Exige FTW. Keeping mine until I can no longer get in and out of it.

Darker. (Explore) by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 8
Alfisti6502.50
lakefront560.50
Donatello.1083.50
c1pher4671.50
MmmmmM22588.50
414bhp139.50
      11-06-2023, 08:11 AM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

OT a bit, I read your M3 Vs 997 article. Interesting. The M3 was my "sensible" choice as a DD Vs getting the 997 and keeping my beater. I've never driven the M3 tbh. Gotta say, our experience with the 997 differs, I find the suspension very hard (OX cart harsh) but it goes where I point it that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      11-06-2023, 06:58 PM   #17
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
OT a bit, I read your M3 Vs 997 article. Interesting. The M3 was my "sensible" choice as a DD Vs getting the 997 and keeping my beater. I've never driven the M3 tbh. Gotta say, our experience with the 997 differs, I find the suspension very hard (OX cart harsh) but it goes where I point it that's for sure.
I think I must have driven a real turd of a 997. Everyone else seems to like it better than me!
      11-06-2023, 06:59 PM   #18
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Give it 5 years for them to get the Emira sorted, and you'll be good (and aftermarket will help the steering).
Exige FTW. Keeping mine until I can no longer get in and out of it.
Regarding the steering, are you thinking aftermarket bushings would do the trick?

And, how old do you think you'll be when you can no longer get in and out of the Exige?
      11-07-2023, 07:00 AM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Regarding the steering, are you thinking aftermarket bushings would do the trick?

And, how old do you think you'll be when you can no longer get in and out of the Exige?
I know that there are rack replacements available for pretty much every Lotus, to make them more translative, even the Elise/Exige (foolish?). I think if there is a need for it in the Lotus community, they'll figure it out, they're a handling sort of bunch.

I'm 5'4", athletic build, so I'll be able to get in and out of it for quite a long time.

My goal was always to sell it when I turned 70, so 17 years from now.
Appreciate 1
414bhp139.50