BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-25-2024, 12:19 AM   #1
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Visiting the Porsche Experience Centre in Tokyo

Link: https://carsnkopi.wordpress.com/2024...-centre-tokyo/

For Porsche enthusiasts, petrolheads, and driving enthusiasts seeking automotive excitement in Tokyo, Japan (safely and under controlled conditions), the Porsche Experience Centre just outside the bustling metropolis might offer the perfect solution for a thrilling morning or afternoon outing. The 43-hectare facility, opened in 2021, is the ninth Porsche Experience Centre globally and offers visitors the chance to discover Porsche vehicles in various controlled conditions, some of which are unique compared to other PEC courses worldwide. And because yours truly was in Tokyo, I was given the chance to drop and have a taste.

Getting to and from PEC Tokyo, situated just outside the city centre, is most conveniently done by car. Public transportation options are limited and can be time-consuming. Opting to drive also presents the opportunity to experience the Tokyo Wan Aqua-Line Expressway and visit the picturesque Umihotaru rest area along the way.

From Umihotaru, PEC Tokyo is only a short drive away and soon, you’ll be greeted with PEC Tokyo’s exterior that features an Edo Kiriko cut glass design motif, as well as a collection of fine Stuttgart machinery awaiting their drivers. Let’s head inside.

Seeking refuge from the winter chill (or summer heat, depending on the time of your visit) within the cosy confines of PEC allows you to enjoy amenities such as a café, a restaurant, and a PEC Tokyo shop stocked with plenty of goodies.

Additionally, there’s a simulation lab where you can embark on virtual outings to various circuits around the world, piloting a myriad of machines from Porsche’s illustrious past and present. But of course, the first thing you’d see once you head through the front door is a curated display of P-cars. On my visit, there was a custom-painted Taycan (by American painter Kaves), a stunning Cayman featuring 906 Colours, a vintage 911 and even their 919 Hybrid LMP racing car.

Since my driving session was scheduled for later in the day, I popped into the simulation lab for a quick session before heading to Restaurant 906. While it may not rival Restaurant Christophorus in Stuttgart, it certainly holds its own.

However, with a view of the entire circuit calling for attention, one can’t help but feel the excitement building as I hastily downed my lunch, albeit it with a tinge of guilt knowing how much effort went into preparing each dish. With lunch done, it was time to hit the track.

PEC Tokyo offers a full range of courses varying in intensity for all driver skill levels across a portfolio of cars. The list of cars available is as extensive as it is impressive. You can choose from a Macan S, Macan GTS, 718 Boxster, 718 Cayman GTS, 4.0 718 Cayman GT4, 718 Cayman GT4 RS, Panamera GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan GTS, Taycan Turbo, Taycan Turbo S, 911 Carrera, 911 Carrera S, 911 Carrera 4S, 911 Carrera GTS, 911 Turbo S, 911 GT3 and the 911 GT3 RS. A specially prepared Cayenne is also available for off-road trails for those who prefer going off the beaten path. For enthusiasts seeking a broader experience, programs are available to sample multiple cars in a single session, allowing for both car-to-car comparisons and exploration of drivetrain variances. For my 90-minute drive, my steed of choice (or rather, chosen for me) was a beautiful red 911 Carrera GTS.

While 90 minutes may seem limited, with a dedicated instructor providing one-to-one coaching, it’s ample time to fully explore the capabilities and boundaries of the cars. At PEC Tokyo, various driving experiences are available, including practising launch control, slalom driving, full braking, an area for emergency manoeuvres with a kick plate to send your car sideways in either direction and even a wet low-friction handling oval for drifting sessions.

Unlike other driving centres I’ve visited in other locales, PEC Tokyo uniquely offers these experiences buffet-style. There’s no set schedule to adhere to, giving participants the freedom to pick and choose what they’d like to do at any given time. Of course, if it gets crowded, some waiting time would be involved, but if you manage to drop by during a relatively quiet period (like me), you’ll pretty much have the entire facility to yourself.

As one might expect, I spent a big chunk of my time drifting (or rather, attempting to drift) the 911. Unlike the BMWs I’m more accustomed to, I discovered that balancing a 911 in a sustained sideways drift is a much more engaging process, one where the fine line bordering control and spinning out is much more delicate with very little room for error.

Featuring numerous elevation changes and iconic corners borrowed from renowned circuits worldwide, such as the Carousel from the Nürburgring and the Corkscrew from Laguna Seca, the track offers an exhilarating driving experience. I found myself spending the majority of my time here, enjoying countless laps with the GTS effortlessly soaking up every corner. So much so that I actually ended my session early as the physical strain began to take its toll.

As the sun began its descent, casting a beautiful glow over the premises, I couldn’t help but feel exhausted yet fulfilled. Saying goodbye to my encouraging instructor, I embarked on my journey back to central Tokyo, reflecting on the afternoon well spent.

Appreciate 3
335i54n299.00
p0p154.50
Joachim328.00
      04-25-2024, 12:24 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I shall need to put this on the list for my next trip to Japan.
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd814.50
      04-25-2024, 12:41 AM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

The one in LA was awesome, highly recommend
Appreciate 1
mockngbrd814.50
      04-25-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Nice, well written.

Worried that if I go to Japan they'll have to forcibly remove me.
From everything I've heard and read...last of a kind.
      04-25-2024, 08:39 AM   #5
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
Porsche experience has to be one of my best memory ever - they do it very well.
I had the opportunity of doing one where they brought out a whole facility; I'm talking about a whole 2 story mobile building to Summit Point.

Where are the videos?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:50 AM   #6
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Thank you so much for this detailed and enthusiastic report! Let's hope that Porsche keeps timeless emotions as a standard feature of their cars.