BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Kia Stinger

Well this came out of nowhere. Seems like a busy car but... I like it? Twin-turbo V6 good for 350+ HP RWD or AWD.

Special mention since Albert Biermann (the guy that helped develop the F8x and previous M cars) was involved in production. Brand name aside, I recognize when guy that helped make my dream car makes another.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Styling certainly falls more on Peter Scheyer, a guy Audi must just hate having lost.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

New 2018 Kia Stinger RWD Sports Sedan Is Going After BMW’s 4-Series Gran Coupe

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/new...rts-sedan.html

Quote:
As promised, Kia has turned its impressive 2011 GT rear-wheel drive sports sedan concept into an equally impressive production model named the Stinger that was presented today ahead of a world premiere tomorrow in Detroit.

It’s not the Korean firm’s first attempt at a luxury rear wheel drive sedan, as the K900 preceded it, but unlike the latter, the Stinger is a much more youthful and striking proposition.

It has a sleek design with somewhat derivative details – especially the rear, which strongly reminds us of the Audi A7 Sportback, but we guess that’s to be expected when the person leading Kia’s design division is ex-Audi designer, Peter Schreyer.

While placed against both the BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Gran Coupe, as well as the Audi A4 and A5, Infiniti Q50 and Lexus IS, Kia says that, at 114.4 inches (2,905mm), it not only has a longer wheelbase than those models, but the Lexus GS and Mercedes CLS as well. Furthermore, it’s longer overall at 190.2 inches (4,831mm) and wider 73.6 inches (1,869mm), which according to Kia, allows “for spacious accommodations” and a larger cargo area than “many in its class, with enough space for full-size luggage or golf bags”.

Powering the Stinger is a choice of two gasoline engines for North America, with Europe also getting a diesel option, details of which should be released at this year’s Geneva Motor Show.

In North America, the base unit is a 2.0-liter turbocharged four producing 255hp and 260 lb.-ft. (352Nm), and a 3.3-liter turbo V6 rated at 365hp and 376 lb-ft (494Nm). Kia says the twin-turbo V6 model should reach 100km/h (62mph) in 5.1 seconds and top out at 167 mph (269km/h). Both models come exclusively with an eight-speed automatic transmission and optional all-wheel drive.

The Koreans claim that much of the chassis development took place in Europe, with a lot of time spent on the Nürburgring from a team led by Hyundai-Kia’s Executive vice president for vehicle testing and high performance development, Albert Biermann, who previously headed BMW’s M division. The Stinger will the first Kia to offer adjustable ride-damping and vehicle handling traits through an electronically adjustable suspension called the Dynamic Stability Damping Control. The electric power steering will also be adjustable via five selectable drive modes.

We’re told that the Stinger will come well equipped boasting an assortment of standard safety and comfort features, as well as driving aids, including Forward Collision Assistance (FCA) with integrated Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) with pedestrian detection, Lane Keep Assist, and an infotainment system with a 7.0 inch haptic touchscreen.

The Stinger will go on sale in the States this summer at as of yet, undisclosed prices.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Exterior pretty generic/ugly, interior better than expected. Meh
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Hatch, hell yeah. That gear-shifter: WTF?

This does tick off a few boxes for features that I look for...
      01-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

As usual, too much of too much. Hood vents need to go, the fender vents are gaudily overdone, rear fender faux vents unnecessary and copies MB, then finally, what the hell is that red rear side marker light. Completely ruins the rear.

This will be popular for it's price and definitely a better effort than Honda and Toyota's boring fwd cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I really don't like the front end. I'm also not a fan of the air vents, never been a fan of those airplane vent style things.

My other issue is, I will never find myself in a car that has a acronym of Killed In Action. NO thanks.
      01-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #8
bloke79
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 Competition

Very Audi RS7-esque... Nice interior too!

It's a really attractive car which will be at a very attractive price. Looking forward to the reviews - if it even drives remotely well, it'll sell like hot-cakes!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Boring exterior. That rear is all Audi.
Not enough HP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

The rear is trying to be Audi, especially with the Audi S model quad pipes. The side profile is also trying to imitate the Audi A5 sportback.

The front of the car is trying to be a zit faced teenager, which they nailed.

If they are trying to compete with the A4, 330i, C class segment they probably won't be very successful. People who buy in this segment definitely buy a car because of the badge (among other things of course), so I see people just spending the extra money and going for the 'real deal'.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post

If they are trying to compete with the A4, 330i, C class segment they probably won't be very successful. People who buy in this segment definitely buy a car because of the badge (among other things of course), so I see people just spending the extra money and going for the 'real deal'.
Then what do you think of the Guila? That thing has all sorts of vents and aggressive styling...which I tend to like. I just like to see it backed up by 400+hp.
      01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

This is a great looking car. And I'm sure it will offer a lot of value.

That said, I am not surprised that they are trying to pitch the larger size as a positive attribute when compared to vehicles in the bread-and-butter luxury sedan segment occupied by the 3 Series and friends. But, ultimately, for me and I suspect for many others, that really just means it is too big to consider. And there are plenty of competitors on the market that already have the "I look awesome, but don't try and toss me around the bends" market covered. The size and price-point mean this isn't going to be a lightweight (in relative nor absolute terms) car.

Sure, it is smaller than a 5 Series and some others in that class, but for example, it's no less compact than an A6. And while the A6 (particularly the S6) is a great car, there's a reason why the A4/S4 exist below it - because some people (lots of them) don't want that big of a car. This is essentially the same exact size and body configuration as a 3 Series GT (which, if you recall, shares its wheelbase with the China-only 3 Series Li). It just happens to pull it off with a much more eye-pleasing result (for which I give Kia a thumbs up).

I fear that the upcoming Genesis G70 will also end up this size, which will be disappointing. I was really hoping to see a new small RWD sedan enter the market, but I think that at least in the near term, we can count the Koreans out of delivering one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Wow, Im kind of impressed. I was expecting a shitbox, but this car looks pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
bloke79
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 Competition

Here in Australia, the M3/C63/RS4 etc type cars typically sell for over $150k new with options on the road.

This is promising to be around the 50k mark here. It'll appeal to a different segment I think, but it's a lot of car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

It looks like what would happen if a K900 had a baby with an A7, and when that baby grew up it decided to have plastic surgery to look like a cross between a Genesis Coupe and a Dodge Charger.

No thanks. Just too many design philosophies beating up on each other in that car.

Also, because Kia.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I think it's a nice looking car that's unfortunately a bit over-styled (see the scoops on the lower fenders). It has one of the most stunning rear end designs I've ever seen. The name is lame too.

I really want it to do well but I am pretty sure it'll flop. It is such a niche product from a brand with absolutely no appeal to performance enthusiasts. On top of that, nobody will fork out that much dough for a Kia. Sales may be good during its 1st year but then taper off.

I feel that the concept of a bargain performance sedan (slotting under the G80) would've worked a lot better with the Genesis brand. At least with that people may be willing to spend this kind of money because Genesis is luxury marque.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Kia Stinger May Try To Rival Tesla Model 3 With Electric Variant

Quote:
Kia may have only just taken the wraps off its long-awaited Stinger sports sedan and it has already emerged that the car could receive an all-electric variant rivaling the Tesla Model 3.

While speaking with Auto Express about the model at the Detroit Auto Show, Kia’s head of overseas marketing, Spencer Cho, confirmed that the platform underpinning the Stinger “is capable of a full EV powertrain at a later date”.

Although Cho stopped short of confirming an electric variant, it would be a waste not to make the most out of the model’s flexible architecture. At launch, we already know the Stinger will be offered with a 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 and a 2.0-liter turbo and further down the road, will get a 2.0-liter diesel for Europe, Korea and other select markets.

Alongside the Stinger’s ability to support a large selection of powertrains, Cho revealed that it is also a good platform for the brand to add autonomous technologies to.

“We are working on level three and level four autonomous technology and the Stinger is a good platform to add some of that technology to. We’re carefully evaluating this technology before we put it into our cars, though,” he said.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/kia...val-tesla.html
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #18
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is essentially the same exact size and body configuration as a 3 Series GT (which, if you recall, shares its wheelbase with the China-only 3 Series Li).
No, it's more like the 4 series GC, only slightly bigger (if true). The 3 series GT is like a subaru outback. This is nothing like that.
      01-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
No, it's more like the 4 series GC, only slightly bigger (if true).
If true? There's no "if" about it, friend. The 4 Series GC rides on the regular wheelbase shared with the standard 3 Series Sedan. If you actually go ahead and look at the specs of the 3 Series GT, you'll see that its wheelbase is longer and identical to the Stinger. It's a longer vehicle than any other 3 or 4 Series we see in the states.

Quote:
The 3 series GT is like a subaru outback. This is nothing like that.
The Outback is literally a wagon with an increased ride height. It does not have a fastback style roof. Sure it's a five door lift-back, but it does not have the sloping roof like an F34 nor an F36. It has a roof more like an F31.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #20
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Not bad for a Kia.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post

Then what do you think of the Guila? That thing has all sorts of vents and aggressive styling...which I tend to like. I just like to see it backed up by 400+hp.
I felt mildly guilty but laughed my ass off when Clarkson kept referring to the Alfa as the"quadripliggio" on the GT review.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Is it me or does Kia ripoff other car manufactures more than most and then try to mash it all together?