home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

08-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
DChange
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F150, 2008 Element

Tires for a non-track going M3

Picking up a 2004 M3 next week (convertible / manual) and will likely need new tires soon. The tire threads I've found focus mainly on high performance tires (pilot sports and the like). What's best on the track or offers the best balance between track driving and daily driving.

This will be a weekend / occasional car for me. Will be stored in the winter and have no plans for any track days. I do obviously plan on spirited driving but feel like high performance tires would be overkill in this case.

Would appreciate thoughts from the community and any insight you folks may have. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
R1wheelieforfun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChange View Post
Picking up a 2004 M3 next week (convertible / manual) and will likely need new tires soon. The tire threads I've found focus mainly on high performance tires (pilot sports and the like). What's best on the track or offers the best balance between track driving and daily driving.

This will be a weekend / occasional car for me. Will be stored in the winter and have no plans for any track days. I do obviously plan on spirited driving but feel like high performance tires would be overkill in this case.

Would appreciate thoughts from the community and any insight you folks may have. Thanks!
I'm not going to go into the science behind track tires and compounds and such, as I'm sure you can read on and on the internet about all that stuff. I can offer my personal experience. There is no perfect street/track tire. But, I've had good success with Bridgestone RE71-R's, and I have friends that run Nankang AR1's. I also heard from a friend, but didn't look into it that Bridgestone is coming out with an upgraded RE71, but I didn't google the details. I am about to try a new set of stock size 19" Michelin PS4S and I hear they are fantastic. So, I am hopeful that the PS4S will be the best compromise for superb road handling and taking the beating of driving to the track, several sessions and driving home. For FYI, I run a set of 17" Apex ARC8's at the track with Nitto NT01's or Toyo R888R's on them. Both of which are a great track tire but loud and abrasive on the street. Plus the NT01 offers zero foul weather ability, especially as it ages and wears.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
dsphil
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e30, e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChange View Post

If you don’t drive it in winter, anything with 200 tread wear will not be over kill.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #4
Descocar
https://www.instagram.com/descocar/
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

A cheaper alternative to Michelin PS4 are Falken Fk510s, which i found to be good. Otherwise, i would look at Michelin A/s tires which are good daily driver tires for raining conditions
Appreciate 0