your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I currently live where tax is high
the services available, the timely response of service is 10x better in the higher tax. The schools 10x better. This makes the value of the home 10x better as well... build it and tax it and they will come.

a corrupt politician may bad apples the whole lot of it, until one does I'm happy to pay for the much better services.
Your user account says you live in Chicago. Either that is out of date or you're completely delusional.
      11-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #24
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
This is how you tell everyone you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking at without actually saying you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Gotta love boomers…
39 is a boomer? Thanks for the info! Way to be a condescending prick.

Quote:
BTW if you actually read the article the only reason they are even entertaining the idea is to help broadcasters, who are losing business to streaming services. It was capitalisms idea to use the govt to create a barrier for entry for their competitors.

Maybe we should tax those corporations instead.
Yes, I read the article. It's crony capitalism at it's finest.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #25
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
If NY, LA and SF are such terrible places why do they house the most valuable property in the country?
SF is so great all the tech companies are moving their HQ's to Austin, building huge campuses there, and their employees are following.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      11-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #26
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just take a look at the roads and even sidewalks in LA. Shit is STOOPID.

We were reviewing our house, and a few others around us, on Zillow last night. Are you F'king kidding me???? I literally live in da Hood, a documented area of low income. I have almost (2/22) paid off my home that I bought 15 ago at 225. 800K????? I wouldn't buy from me
Most of the roads are dependent on state gas and road use taxes, the cities just have the highest demand on them. Problem is raising those gas/road use taxes are political suicide so nobody touches them.

So youre going to have to find something else to use to justify calling those places rat holes. It does seem like 18 million people seem to think living in that rat hole is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #27
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just take a look at the roads and even sidewalks in LA. Shit is STOOPID.

We were reviewing our house, and a few others around us, on Zillow last night. Are you F'king kidding me???? I literally live in da Hood, a documented area of low income. I have almost (2/22) paid off my home that I bought 15 ago at 225. 800K????? I wouldn't buy from me
Don’t bother with him. I blocked him along time ago during one of the Covid threads.

Los Angeles and San Francisco are some of the nastiest cities in the world rivaling Rio de Janeiro and some of the worst cities in India. Tens of thousands of people living in tents on the street where they defecate and urinate daily. It’s ridiculous. Shining examples of the stupidity of left-wing policies. They could tax the people into oblivion and believe me they would if they could get away with it and it they would still be rat hole cities. All because of their policies.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #28
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
39 is a boomer? Thanks for the info! Way to be a condescending prick.
Ok then you're just dumb and want to propagate a lie about social security and then say something stupid about "crybaby millennials" and 401ks (which was nonsense to begin with). Youre crying, completely wrong, and appear to be classified as a millennial depending on who you ask (some say 1981).

Dont say completely asinine bullshit (while also being a condescending prick) and I wont be a condescending prick back. And if you do dont be such a delicate snowflake about it when I am. Always remember the saying attributed to about 400 different famous people: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      11-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

LOL, Patton has been owned by multiple people in multiple threads for being wrong about even fundamental economics so he blocked me. Good for him, I wouldnt want to damage his already obviously fragile ego. Edit: Or was it the covid vaccine? I cant remember what idiocy he was spouting that made it finally obvious.

Im sure people who own their multi-million $ properties in San Francisco are kept awake at night by the prospect they cant just sell it all and move to the utopia that is Tampa.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #30
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok then you're just dumb and want to propagate a lie about social security and then say something stupid about "crybaby millennials" and 401ks (which was nonsense to begin with). Youre crying, completely wrong, and appear to be classified as a millennial depending on who you ask (some say 1981).

Dont say completely asinine bullshit (while also being a condescending prick) and I wont be a condescending prick back. And if you do dont be such a delicate snowflake about it when I am. Always remember the saying attributed to about 400 different famous people: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sure thing chief, if you don't think the Feds don't have a spending problem, we will obviously not see eye to eye.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #31
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Tens of thousands of people living in tents on the street where they defecate and urinate daily.
Sounds like a typical NYC New Year's Eve in Times Square.....
      11-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #32
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing chief, if you don't think the Feds don't have a spending problem, we will obviously not see eye to eye.
Not that I made that claim but the fact that you came in here with the lie that they spend money from the SSA trust allocation and dont pay it back (the funny thing is you're so ignorant you managed to be wrong on both points accidentally) means we would never see eye to eye since you're dead, blind and most certainly dumb. So intellectually my eyes would be well above wherever yours would be if you opened them.

And then to compound it with some sort of idiotic rant about "millenials" doing "something" to 401ks means Id never be down on your level emotionally anyway. Especially when you go all snowflake on me when it blows back on you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #33
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
What's next? Paying for oxygen?
Someone's been watching Total Recall.....
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
      11-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #34
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Total and complete BS. LA and NYC have the highest taxes in the country and they are rat holes. Nice try though. 10X better That made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Your user account says you live in Chicago. Either that is out of date or you're completely delusional.
I live in the Chicago burbs with taxes 10x the house in Indiana with low taxes. if you go on Zillow the High School my kids went to rated 10/10, the house in Fort Wayne is 1/10 last I looked. Sorry you think I'm delusional and all but thems the facts. To get an equal education in Fort Wayne I'd have to pay prep school type pricing at Canterbury it's more than my taxes in IL I guarantee. My sister went to Canterbury and graduated in top %4 and both kids also did top %4 from public school. Services well worth it, when I want to sell, parents looking to raise kids here will beat a path to the door.

I don't currently have a place in the city, should in the next few years 1more year of paying for kids college. Yes taxes will be high and HOA will be high but it's worth it. I love this city, sorry you don't.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
vanguard8245.50
      11-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #35
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I live in the Chicago burbs with taxes 10x the house in Indiana with low taxes. if you go on Zillow the High School my kids went to rated 10/10, the house in Fort Wayne is 1/10 last I looked. Sorry you think I'm delusional and all but thems the facts. To get an equal education in Fort Wayne I'd have to pay prep school type pricing at Canterbury it's more than my taxes in IL I guarantee. My sister went to Canterbury and graduated in top %4 and both kids also did top %4 from public school. Services well worth it, when I want to sell, parents looking to raise kids here will beat a path to the door.

I don't currently have a place in the city, should in the next few years 1more year of paying for kids college. Yes taxes will be high and HOA will be high but it's worth it. I love this city, sorry you don't.
There are nice areas to every place in the United States. Chicago is one of the most violent cities in America. I’m glad you live in a nice area of it. However the taxes are high in your entire region yet you freely admit one area has nice schools and just down the road they are horrible. I think we both know that nice schools have nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with the nicer areas with higher income families just have better schools with kids that try harder because generally the parental situation is different. But of course that’s an entire different topic. My only point is that it has nothing to do with taxes. Some of the worst inner-city schools we have in this country have the highest per kid money.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #36
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.

Watch, in the next two decades in the US, the crybaby millennials will take private 401k's in the interest of the greater good. The same way Congress uses SS as a bank they never pay back.
This is how you tell everyone you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking at without actually saying you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Gotta love boomers…
I guess I am one as well because I believe this wholeheartedly. Before I die, and possibly before I retire, there will be talk of ways to tax 401k/ROTHs more.

I will take that bet.
      11-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #37
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Los Angeles and San Francisco are some of the nastiest cities in the world rivaling Rio de Janeiro and some of the worst cities in India. Tens of thousands of people living in tents on the street where they defecate and urinate daily. It’s ridiculous. Shining examples of the stupidity of left-wing policies. They could tax the people into oblivion and believe me they would if they could get away with it and it they would still be rat hole cities. All because of their policies.

Homeless people on every corner in SF. Every street smells like urine (especially since it hardly rains). Human feces and dirty needles seen around the city on daily bases.

You walk into CVS and you have a high chance of catching tuberculosis from the homeless guy walking past you to the next isle to steal food and beverage without anyone doing a thing about it. Most CVS/Walgreens have closed their stores and left the city, leaving it harder for the average citizen to walk down to a store and grab some general items. Meanwhile the city is at war with the only In N Out burger in the city over checking COVID vaccine cards. They even shut down them for a few days.

Long story short, if you have TB and want to steal from CVS you're welcome to enter the store. But if you are unvaccinated and want a burger, better stay home and door dash it. That's SF in a nuthsell
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
Patton2502939.50
      11-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #38
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I guess I am one as well because I believe this wholeheartedly. Before I die, and possibly before I retire, there will be talk of ways to tax 401k/ROTHs more.

I will take that bet.
What, that someone will talk about taxing 401ks? "Talk?" Thats a pretty low bar.

And what I was clowning on him for being an idiot for saying was the stealing from the SSA myth that has been rotting conservative brains for 50 years now, nobody has ever taken money out of the trust (spoiler alert, they legally cant) but its been a popular talking point to get morons riled up for ages.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #39
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/06/many...nt-happen.html

I think what people are afraid of is the reports that SS will dry up by 2034. According to this article, SS funds are drying up, but they won't be gone forever. It looks like they will do a combination of raising taxes and pulling benefits in order for it to stay afloat.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #40
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Someone's been watching Total Recall.....
LOL, in all seriousness though, I really do charge people for breathing oxygen. Oxygen content in the Room Air that we breathe is 21%. If someone is having trouble breathing I'll give them more than 21% and will charge them for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #41
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Ugh, forget wifi, I wish someone would impose an impossibly high tax on junk mail. Easily 75% of my mail goes straight in the recycling every day. What a waste.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615493.00
      11-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #42
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
What, that someone will talk about taxing 401ks? "Talk?" Thats a pretty low bar.

And what I was clowning on him for being an idiot for saying was the stealing from the SSA myth that has been rotting conservative brains for 50 years now, nobody has ever taken money out of the trust (spoiler alert, they legally cant) but its been a popular talking point to get morons riled up for ages.
Well - I am not one of the SS stolen funds people - but inaction by both sides to fix SS will cause it's demise if they continue on this path. Fortunately - it's not targeted to be in crisis.....until I am about ready to retire.

But if enough people "talk" about taxing 401K and those people wind up in power - then they'd could have the numbers to do it - correct?

Anywhere there is a pile of $ and those that sacrificed to get it, there is a group people who would love to get their hands on it. It's human nature and has been repeated in history many times over. Being concerned about it does not make a tinfoil hatter.........
      11-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #43
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
It begs the question though, and we are much higher taxed in Canada than most. At what point in time will government have enough? By the time I pay all my taxes, federal income tax, provincial income tax, property tax, Harmonized sales tax 13%, gas tax, user fees, healthcare supplement etc one level of government or another ends up with well over 50% of my gross. Taxes keep going up, and I have to wonder if there will ever be an end to it?
I know it is annoying for me to keep comparing but I cannot help myself.

I plug our household income into australian income tax brackets and we would be some $20K a year up as they are taxed less.

GST is 10% not 13%

Property taxes are a third of what they are here

We have a VERY similar health care system

Net government debt (feds and provinces) is nearly half of what it is in Canada per person

They have a very centralised system where the feds do almost all the heavy lifting. Said it before here to much annoyance as i repeat myself, but the US system that Canada has somewhat adopted of a very decentralised management of the country, with states/provinces have way too much control and municipalities WAY WAY WAY too much control is extraordinarily wasteful. The duplication of functions leads to monumental government bloat and complication.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314116.00
      11-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #44
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Ugh, forget wifi, I wish someone would impose an impossibly high tax on junk mail. Easily 75% of my mail goes straight in the recycling every day. What a waste.
With our luck there would be some law about the receiver of the junk mail being responsible for the bill.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11469.50
vreihen1615493.00