BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Another exhaust thread...

04-03-2024, 05:30 AM   #1
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Another exhaust thread...

OK guys, I know this has been discussed to no end, and I also know there are many threads debating this in the M2C section…but I am going around in circles here and I want the RECENT perspective of other like minded CS owners given some of the newer systems (mainly Valvetronic) that have entered the market.

After picking up my 350R, my appreciation for an emotionally engaging exhaust system has been reignited. I know this engine has its sound limitations and that’s fine, but I do think I want to give her a little more volume/aggression to create that deeper connection to the car through the rev range.

I currently have an AA EL with stock CS back box as I loved the CS tips and wanted to keep the OE+ look. Originally was un-resonated and loved it…but the rasp on startup / warmup was killing me and I couldn’t get over it. This car should never make you cringe! It deserves better. So I swapped for resonated EL which helped the rasp but removed so much volume it now doesn’t feel aggressive enough.

Worth noting this is a weekend warrior for me - I want to maintain the valves as I enjoy hearing more induction vs exhaust from time to time, but no issues with this car being too loud / aggressive for daily driver use…I just want the sound to be refined through the rev range, collected and “mature”, but louder. Not just loud for the sake of being loud…

I know the AA EL vs single tradeoffs…Valevtronic’s system claims to have the before of both, without any of the burdens…but the fit and finish concerns in the M2C section are enough to steer me away. Dont like how the tips sit (regardless of their recent fix), dont like the Angeles look of the muffler from the rear, etc.

As fellow CS owners, can you please tell me what your ideal system is to get more aggressive volume while also maintaining a refined tone through the rev range? Can you also explain WHY you think that combo is ideal for what I’ve described above?

My only requirement is maintaining stock catted DPs, but down to swap to anything from them back…

And if folks think this issue has been debated to death we can delete the thread, thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Check out iPE. I need to get better video but it actually sounds good - and not just good for an S55. I have the full akra setup on another M2 and it sounds great too but I give the nod to iPE. Both check all the boxes you are looking for though and have excellent fit and quality. Disclosure I am a dealer for iPE as well as a few others but the iPE is my favorite here for the S55. If I upgrade the exhaust on my CS will be going this direction.

Appreciate 2
NPTM372.00
      04-03-2024, 10:03 AM   #3
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I am using the single midpipe from AA , and i added the Akrapovic rear muffler to it. Personally i like that rasp (its iconic to all BMW M models ) , and thats the reason i went with the single length midpipe. Ill leave this video that might help , there is no fake sound inside the cabin since i disabled that , but again it wont be easy to understand from a video.. Try to find a BMW M2 Competition or CS and hear it irl because its a lot of money to spend just by hearing opinions or viewing videos.
2020_M2CS100.50
NPTM372.00
MSH_132.00
      04-03-2024, 11:18 AM   #4
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020_M2CS View Post
I’ve been debating this as well. Have the Akra exhaust but want more sound but do not want to tune so that drops the downpipe aspect.
Just add a midpipe , its the sweet spot for volume imo.
2020_M2CS100.50
      04-03-2024, 11:20 AM   #5
2020_M2CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87EVO View Post
I am using the single midpipe from AA , and i added the Akrapovic rear muffler to it. Personally i like that rasp (its iconic to all BMW M models ) , and thats the reason i went with the single length midpipe. Ill leave this video that might help , there is no fake sound inside the cabin since i disabled that , but again it wont be easy to understand from a video.. Try to find a BMW M2 Competition or CS and hear it irl because its a lot of money to spend just by hearing opinions or viewing videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjQkXOZuUA
lol nice vid.

Curious, is this res or non res single pipe?

Also, have you heard the Akra midpipe? If so thoughts on that and why you opted for Aa.

I have the Akra exhaust but want to add a midpipe. I’ve been eyeing the Aa single pipe due to cost, and the Akra midpipe due to the novelty, weight, and reputation of the company. Haven’t come across any locals with either option so it’s been a challenge to make an accessment.

OP: I would highly consider the akrapovic slip on exhaust. Its sounds great with my stock down pipe and mid pipe. Car has no additional pops/bangs. Add a valve controller and keep them open
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4046.50
      04-03-2024, 11:40 AM   #6
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol nice vid.

Curious, is this res or non res single pipe?

Also, have you heard the Akra midpipe? If so thoughts on that and why you opted for Aa.

I have the Akra exhaust but want to add a midpipe. I’ve been eyeing the Aa single pipe due to cost, and the Akra midpipe due to the novelty, weight, and reputation of the company. Haven’t come across any locals with either option so it’s been a challenge to make an accessment.
I picked the car 08/20 and in Europe we have that stupid OPF which imo ruins the sound , weight a ton , overheats the muffler and the turbos. So the first thing i wanted to do was to remove the opf which was located on the midpipe. So i ordered the single length midpipe back then . I also considered the Akra but i prefered the AA because is a single midpipe and it gives a much deeper note which i like! You cant go wrong with either imo.

Here is a video with Akra muffler and Akra midpipe. Fast forward to 2:22

https://youtu.be/2rCQqbwDIOo?si=mDRgAJOf0RL9q3Yk
Attached Images

04-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

IPE was the direction I was intending to go because it seems to produce a pitch on the higher side. I couldn't find one to listen to in person. I really wanted inconel because of how it sounds but couldn't find one. I like the wai titanium sounds and an Akra system came my way so I bought it. Mid pipe and back box increased the volume quite a bit with valves open, but was still quite with valves closed. I found myself always driving with the valves open. I got tired of that and wanted it louder in valves closed mode. I changed the down pipes. The volume is to my liking. Quiet while cruising on the highway, but loud elsewhere. Obnoxious with valves open.

This was to illustrate that you should be able to find a combination that works without adding downpipes.
      04-03-2024, 02:08 PM   #8
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

FWIW and if you don't want to change much, I recently added a valve controller and it really helped the exhaust note. For reference, I have AA resonated EL and AA back box. With the valves open, startup is pretty loud, but the beauty is being able to close the valves if you prefer a quieter startup. It definitely sounds better while driving with the valves open. Just the right amount of added noise without being too crazy.

The added noise was so intoxicating, I purchased catless DPs (wanting even more sound), though I'm still torn on installing them. That being said, I am 100% satisfied with the valve controller and highly recommend. Hope this helps!

Video for reference (keep in mind this is in my garage so everything echoes and seems much louder than when starting outside):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yci8FcZnEfvn62iN7
      04-03-2024, 02:29 PM   #9
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I am very pleased with my set up. Aesthetically the Eisenmann looks like an OEM system. The tips are perfectly sized, the hardware is completely out of sight, and the muffler us completely tucked up flush with the under body. The AA EL (resonated) in conjunction with a quality back box make the car sound like an angry inline 6 as BMW ///M cars should sound.

AA EL res mid pipe
Eisenmann Performance Exhaust - Valved

04-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #10
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to everyone here for all the awesome feedback, I really appreciate all of this!

Really is no general consensus, and I don’t know many folks local with modded M2s, so going off of videos is really all I have and I know that’s not perfect…

I loved the sound of the full AA system but have heard so many quality control issues I decided to shy away.

That Eisenman looks the best to me with factory like finish and hidden hardware, which is really important to me, so that paired with an AA midpipe may be my top pick out of everything above. Two questions on that: (1) how would you describe the volume increase over stock on that exact setup you have (midpipe and back box), and (2) have you tried going un-resonated on the AA midpipe (wondering if cold start rasp is an issue)?

That iPE also looks nice…will investigate that as well…not crazy about Akra or Remus to be honest, maybe it’s just the videos but not the smooth tone I’m looking for…so hard to describe.

I control my values with BimmerLink - always open for me mainly. Thought about a valve controller but BimmerLink gets me most of the way there!

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:31 PM   #11
KSA.m6
Private
Rep
Drives: M6 14 GC frozen grey & 21 M2C

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I am very pleased with my set up. Aesthetically the Eisenmann looks like an OEM system. The tips are perfectly sized, the hardware is completely out of sight, and the muffler us completely tucked up flush with the under body. The AA EL (resonated) in conjunction with a quality back box make the car sound like an angry inline 6 as BMW ///M cars should sound.

AA EL res mid pipe
Eisenmann Performance Exhaust - Valved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foOp0kIacx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WTDoKf-yxA
Best setup I've heard
Personally I have resonated DP with resonated AA EL and a stock muffler

Do you have a stock DP or catless?
Appreciate 1
M3R12177.50
      04-04-2024, 05:50 PM   #12
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

99% Akra. I had an iPE on my previous F80 and even on my R56 MINI. I got tired of how obnoxiously loud they were. Maybe I'm getting too old. lol. But yeah, it's either closed valves or open. Open...insanely loud, closed, sounded terrible.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:06 PM   #13
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA.m6 View Post
Best setup I've heard

I agree - right balance of aggression and tone, and notably the cleanest looking installed (sleek and non obnoxious tips), essentially OE+ look. Leaning in this direction and yes would help to know on downpipes as I’m not ditching the stockers. Thx!
Appreciate 1
KSA.m611.00
      04-05-2024, 12:10 AM   #14
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

I’m also conflicted about which AA midpipe to buy. I just received my Remus sport (yet to be installed) and am procrastinating on a decision for the midpipe.

Is the rasp really that bad with the unresonated midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 05:38 AM   #15
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post
I’m also conflicted about which AA midpipe to buy. I just received my Remus sport (yet to be installed) and am procrastinating on a decision for the midpipe.

Is the rasp really that bad with the unresonated midpipe?
EL was the right call for me - if you go resonated, rasp will not be an issue. Rasp was a problem on cold start with unresonated pipes.

And the more I look into this Eisenman system, the more I like - thank you guys for the advice on this
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #16
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Best setup I've heard

Thank you sir! I agree!!!

I added these to my set up and it amplified the glorious sound. IMO, the best sounding S55 set up.

04-05-2024, 02:04 PM   #17
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Thanks to everyone here for all the awesome feedback, I really appreciate all of this!

Really is no general consensus, and I don’t know many folks local with modded M2s, so going off of videos is really all I have and I know that’s not perfect…

I loved the sound of the full AA system but have heard so many quality control issues I decided to shy away.

That Eisenman looks the best to me with factory like finish and hidden hardware, which is really important to me, so that paired with an AA midpipe may be my top pick out of everything above. Two questions on that: (1) how would you describe the volume increase over stock on that exact setup you have (midpipe and back box), and (2) have you tried going un-resonated on the AA midpipe (wondering if cold start rasp is an issue)?

That iPE also looks nice…will investigate that as well…not crazy about Akra or Remus to be honest, maybe it’s just the videos but not the smooth tone I’m looking for…so hard to describe.

I control my values with BimmerLink - always open for me mainly. Thought about a valve controller but BimmerLink gets me most of the way there!

Thanks again guys.
There is a Cars and Coffee in Paramus NJ this Sunday. Come on out and I you can hear my set up first hand if you like.
      04-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #18
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Best setup I've heard
I assume you mean catted DP? Do you happen to have any sound/vid clips with your set up?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 09:48 AM   #19
2020_M2CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [7.50]
Quote:
Thank you sir! I agree!!!

I added these to my set up and it amplified the glorious sound. IMO, the best sounding S55 set up.

Man that’s a work of art. Did you have to tune with the 200 dp? Any vids?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:36 PM   #20
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is a Cars and Coffee in Paramus NJ this Sunday. Come on out and I you can hear my set up first hand if you like.
Unfortunately can’t this weekend but good to know you’re tri state sure we can link up one day before I pull trigger.

Just so I’m clear, did you have stock DPs in the vid, of these aftermarket ones?

And can you ballpark volume increase over stock, percentage wise? Even better, volume increase over stock back box with AA EL midpipe, if possible?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:36 PM   #21
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Unfortunately can’t this weekend but good to know you’re tri state sure we can link up one day before I pull trigger.

Just so I’m clear, did you have stock DPs in the vid, of these aftermarket ones?

And can you ballpark volume increase over stock, percentage wise? Even better, volume increase over stock back box with AA EL midpipe, if possible?

Thanks!
No DP's in the Video, the DP's added about 15% more volume. The set up prior to the DP's was about 15% over stock. IMO, perfect for all situations. Zero drone with the valves open and closed.

I have a valve controller, and now I mostly leave the valves closed. Prior to the DP's I opened them up almost all of the time.

Hope this helps some...
      04-06-2024, 03:40 PM   #22
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Man that’s a work of art. Did you have to tune with the 200 dp? Any vids?
The Wagner DP's are really high quality, I'm very happy with them. I have a stage 2 tune so I can't comment on CEL without the tune. I wanted the catted DP's to control the rasp. No video yet.