Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #23
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post

M Car 4) Learn to countersteer. The tail will want to step out on you and you should know how to say "Down boy!"
You're right, but I think we should be taking it one step at a time for the OP. If he is asking such relatively novice questions, counter steering and doing controlled slides, should be later on, like after graduation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaawn View Post
Thanks bud. I've practiced countersteering when it snows here. Just hope it doesnt happen in dry conditions but I'm sure it will when the throttle is floored on a turn.
I obviously don't know you, or what history you have and all that but from your questions it doesn't sound like you have much experience. Which is fine, abnormal, but fine. Most people after they put 20K miles on a clutch gain an inherent knowledge of the vehicle and what it can do. Now, as you say, this is an M car so it will be a little different, it's not like an old fashioned Ferrari or Lamborghini where unless you're the Stig, it's going to want to wrap you around a tree but it is blisteringly fast. My suggestion, first of would be get more experience in a different car. I know that's not the news you would want to hear, but this takes me back to when I was 16 getting my first motorcycle, gawking at my fathers brand new 996, begging him to let me have it but obviously, there was no luck. That was for the better, I needed to get my experience on smaller, more forgiving bikes so I could climb the ladder to the super bike. As is for cars, you have to work your way up to performance, it's not normally a smart idea to just leap frog in.

That being said; if you are getting the car, be careful and respect it. A lot of guys want to drive with MDM or traction control off, myself included, but it is indeed dangerous. Those modes should only be activated when the pilot has a full understanding of every function of the car AND every minute detail of risk that is involved with said pilot driving like that. If you're asking questions on if it's good to "lug" the engine, it doesn't sound as if you're ready to power slide around round a bouts and that's perfectly normal! You don't have to do any of that type of stuff to enjoy this car. When you can, take it to a track and bring your wallet so when you smoke out the tires you can put new ones. I have an F82, it's an absolute machine, please just take your time. Don't get hurt, and most importantly don't hurt anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It has rev matching on downshifts. It will not rev match on upshifts. It is not a panacea to help you drive better. They way you described is not how the system works on upshifts....it does not "hold revs" for you to make a perfect upshift.

Caveat, if it works the same way as the 6MT M5 I drove.
Thanks. I haven't seen it fully explained how it works and of course my local dealers never have MT to try. I don't see why BMW wouldn't bother to rev-match upshifts, if it's rev-matching downshifts already. In most cases, I imagine rev-matching on an upshift would be imperceptible, but you'd think the system would be consistent and just rev-match any shift.

So what happens if, for example, you're cruising along at 65 mph and hold in the clutch, do RPMs drop as normal? Then say you slide it in 3rd gear but still hold in the clutch, do RPMs jump to where they should be in 3rd gear? Or does the car wait until you've begun releasing the clutch to blip the throttle?

Also, regarding upshifts -- say you're cruising at 65 in 5th and hold in the clutch and let RPMs drop to idle, then upshift to 6th. Nobody would do this in real life, but I'm just wondering, the car doesn't raise RPMs and auto rev-match solely because it's an upshift?

Just trying to get a feel for how it works IRL. Sorry to change the topic somewhat.
      09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
Skycat
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Thanks. I haven't seen it fully explained how it works and of course my local dealers never have MT to try. I don't see why BMW wouldn't bother to rev-match upshifts, if it's rev-matching downshifts already. In most cases, I imagine rev-matching on an upshift would be imperceptible, but you'd think the system would be consistent and just rev-match any shift.

So what happens if, for example, you're cruising along at 65 mph and hold in the clutch, do RPMs drop as normal? Then say you slide it in 3rd gear but still hold in the clutch, do RPMs jump to where they should be in 3rd gear? Or does the car wait until you've begun releasing the clutch to blip the throttle?

Also, regarding upshifts -- say you're cruising at 65 in 5th and hold in the clutch and let RPMs drop to idle, then upshift to 6th. Nobody would do this in real life, but I'm just wondering, the car doesn't raise RPMs and auto rev-match solely because it's an upshift?

Just trying to get a feel for how it works IRL. Sorry to change the topic somewhat.
Actually it does rev-match an upshift. Basically, when upshifting, the rpm drops like usual, but then it holds at the perfect rpm of the next gear. So it's a perfect shift every time even when you shift very slowly. It's pretty amazing!
      09-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #26
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycat View Post
Actually it does rev-match an upshift. Basically, when upshifting, the rpm drops like usual, but then it holds at the perfect rpm of the next gear. So it's a perfect shift every time even when you shift very slowly. It's pretty amazing!
Yes it does rev match in upshifts and downshifts like you said but it doesn't hold the matching rev for very long so I've found its best to shift briskly (not slam shifting) for the smoothest ride.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0