BMW E46 M3
Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Talk

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
MP0W3RD
BMWCCA Member
MP0W3RD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 1997 M3 Sedan, 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

E36 M3 Forum

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but its the closest I could think of

I am really bummed there isn't a full-blown E36 M3 forum. I am grateful that the E46 was finally added, but especially in the last few years, the E36 has gained quite a following.

Sure...there is some criticism that it isn't a "true M car" but its performance on street and track is M worthy, despite the lack of ITBs and a higher redline.

I have been fortunate enough to own three different M cars (E36, E92, and F80) and the E36 has been the most fun to drive.

The fact is...when you are pushing over 300 WHP, you can't really "push" your car on the street in a legal way (or arguably safe way but I guess that depends on the environment and skill of the driver).

My E36 can be revved out to legal speeds in a controlled, and very fun fashion. With a few bolt on modifications (M50 manifold, suspension, catback, cold air intake, tune), the car really comes alive and is something truly special.

The values of these cars are going up for a reason: people are starting to figure it out.

The E36 resembles its "non-M" siblings more so than any other generation, and I don't think its a bad thing.

It's a dynamic, analogue car, that introduced the first M3 sedan, has classical styling, and is a wonderful track toy/sleeper.

I think the car deserves its own forum, its a special car in BMW's history, and the first (and favorite?) BMW for many of us on here.
__________________
[E36]1997 BMW M3 Sedan, 5 Speed
[E92]2011 BMW M3 Coupe, DCT
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Frozen
Captain
Frozen's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I'm building one. It will be ready by the end of August.
Appreciate 2
MP0W3RD25.50
BimmerTy182.00

      08-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
GMe90
Captain
GMe90's Avatar
331
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Knoxville

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0W3RD View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but its the closest I could think of

I am really bummed there isn't a full-blown E36 M3 forum. I am grateful that the E46 was finally added, but especially in the last few years, the E36 has gained quite a following.

Sure...there is some criticism that it isn't a "true M car" but its performance on street and track is M worthy, despite the lack of ITBs and a higher redline.

I have been fortunate enough to own three different M cars (E36, E92, and F80) and the E36 has been the most fun to drive.

The fact is...when you are pushing over 300 WHP, you can't really "push" your car on the street in a legal way (or arguably safe way but I guess that depends on the environment and skill of the driver).

My E36 can be revved out to legal speeds in a controlled, and very fun fashion. With a few bolt on modifications (M50 manifold, suspension, catback, cold air intake, tune), the car really comes alive and is something truly special.

The values of these cars are going up for a reason: people are starting to figure it out.

The E36 resembles its "non-M" siblings more so than any other generation, and I don't think its a bad thing.

It's a dynamic, analogue car, that introduced the first M3 sedan, has classical styling, and is a wonderful track toy/sleeper.

I think the car deserves its own forum, its a special car in BMW's history, and the first (and favorite?) BMW for many of us on here.
The E36 is the BMW that hooked me for life. It was in production when I was becoming a teenager. It was strategically placed in a few movies (The Chase, Clueless, etc.), and the rest is history. My daily is an e92 328i. One of the closest newer BMWs to the E36.
Appreciate 1
IB M1659.50

      08-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
IB M
Colonel
1660
Rep
2,986
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can we get this party started ?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
1413
Rep
2,404
Posts

Drives: F30 335 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I have a 1jz e36 m3 sedan. Things an absolute riot.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
MP0W3RD
BMWCCA Member
MP0W3RD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 1997 M3 Sedan, 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Let's get this show on the road! These cars deserve a platform.
Attached Images
 
__________________
[E36]1997 BMW M3 Sedan, 5 Speed
[E92]2011 BMW M3 Coupe, DCT
Appreciate 1
IB M1659.50

      09-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
DI46LO
Registered
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Honestly I kind of hate how M3F went down and then seems to be fragmenting across many communities. So many resources and knowledge lost... Maybe at some point we'll all pick a platform but at this point there are a couple that I've found..

I think Ian 'Obioban' had something to do with the creation of this one. More E46 focus but I've seen posts from all different gens there..
https://nam3forum.com/forums/

And I think Brett 'Braymond141' created this one - seems to be a pretty heavy emphasis on the e36 platform:
https://www.mforum.net/


hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4611
Rep
11,125
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Would still love to see an E36 M3 subforum here too as I'm active on the other ones.

Have had mine since about 2013. Been driving it a decent amount this week and it certainly has its own charms. In the age of very fussy designs, the E36 just has a certain class about it. Just very simple.



It's getting to the point where it needs some mechanical refreshing as well as replacing trims/seals that have aged. While it's never going to be held in the same regard as the E30 or E46 M3, I'm really happy to have mine
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 1
IB M1659.50

      09-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
IB M
Colonel
1660
Rep
2,986
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
^^Love ur color and wheels.

Spent a good few hours washing today - simple car, fun to drive and easy on the eyes.
Appreciate 1
W///4610.50

      09-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4611
Rep
11,125
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
^^Love ur color and wheels.

Spent a good few hours washing today - simple car, fun to drive and easy on the eyes.
When did you pick yours up and what's the story behind it? I actually didn't know you had an E36.

White is a really good color for this car too.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
IB M
Colonel
1660
Rep
2,986
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
^^Love ur color and wheels.

Spent a good few hours washing today - simple car, fun to drive and easy on the eyes.
When did you pick yours up and what's the story behind it? I actually didn't know you had an E36.

White is a really good color for this car too.
Picked her up in fall of 2015. Bought it from the original owner, an older gentleman in Ontario. Was his nice weather car and always garaged. Under 50K Kms and in super clean condition. Flew in to Toronto, had a guy with a flatbed trailer pick me up at the airport, went and got the car, took it through US customs at Buffalo NY, did the paper work with armed guards watching. Got dropped off under a highway overpass in Buffalo at 10pm, from there I drove home to the Carolinas. Was so impressed with the car, everything functional and a better stereo than many newer BMWs.

How did u come across yours?

Random pic from the drive home:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4611
Rep
11,125
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Picked her up in fall of 2015. Bought it from the original owner, an older gentleman in Ontario. Was his nice weather car and always garaged. Under 50K Kms and in super clean condition. Flew in to Toronto, had a guy with a flatbed trailer pick me up at the airport, went and got the car, took it through US customs at Buffalo NY, did the paper work with armed guards watching. Got dropped off under a highway overpass in Buffalo at 10pm, from there I drove home to the Carolinas. Was so impressed with the car, everything functional and a better stereo than many newer BMWs.

How did u come across yours?

Random pic from the drive home:
Wow, that's got to be one of the wilder stories I've heard about picking up a car. I've always been curious about what it took to get a car across the border. Pretty brave to drive a new used BMW half way down the coast on top of that

Believe it or not, I found my car about 10 miles from my house. Back in the day, the E92 M3 was my only fun car and after taking it to the track, I wanted something a bit more budget friendly and a bit simpler. I saw the car FS in one of our local Euro FB groups, test drove it when I saw it in person at Cars and Coffee and the rest is history. Funnily enough, this car has never seen the track during my ownership. Was my daily for about 5 years, and now just another weekend/project car.

I never really grew up dreaming of the E36, was more of an E30 and E46 guy like most people. However, the price was just too good to say no, the simplicity as you mentioned was refreshing, and I've always been a huge fan of Techno Violet. I love the fact that it's such a back to basics driving experience, even compared to say an E46 M3.

Few more old shots of mine:

__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 1
IB M1659.50

      10-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Ben Corfield
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Peterborough

iTrader: (0)

Mr

Ive got a BMW E46 M3 that is at 71,000 miles and is in excellent condition for its age. It has fully refurbed wheels, has just been detailed at a professional detailing studio so the paint is near perfection ( minus a few stone chips on the front bumper), full service history with all the paperwork, it says M3 on the numberplate and the interior is in equally as good condition.

I was wondering if 17,000 is a good price to list it for and if not, how much would it be worth?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.




e46m3
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST