BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-05-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

2024 G80 M3 midpipe break

Hi,

Yesterday night, when I was driving on i95 in Florida, unfortunately there is a rolling black object get under my car. And it hit on the bottom. Today I am trying to picture what is damage with my phone on a selfie pole. And I found a big break hole in the midpipe.....
I claimed the geico insurance and made an appointment at one dealer.
Do any one know what is the solution next?
What can I expect for this situation?
Will the dealer service repair the pipe or change it? I am feeling so sad such a bad luck...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 01:49 PM   #2
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [8.33]
Wow that's unfortunate. While some exhaust repair shops might cut and weld in a new pipe, I would expect bmw to replace and quite frankly I'd want it replaced anyway especially on such a new car. Would be a great opportunity to switch out to an aftermarket midpipe if you want but keeping it OEM they'll replace it. I'd definitely have them check it over with a fine tooth comb to make sure no other damage exists. If you hit something hard enough to puncture your midpipe I'd be surprised if there isn't other damage

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Wow that's unfortunate. While some exhaust repair shops might cut and weld in a new pipe, I would expect bmw to replace and quite frankly I'd want it replaced anyway especially on such a new car. Would be a great opportunity to switch out to an aftermarket midpipe if you want but keeping it OEM they'll replace it. I'd definitely have them check it over with a fine tooth comb to make sure no other damage exists. If you hit something hard enough to puncture your midpipe I'd be surprised if there isn't other damage
I am also very scared when I hit the object. I could feel it is some kind of metal and that was a hard bang at the bottom...I keep driving slow and straight to feel if there is any abnormal other than exhaust sound. I see no errors or warnings on the dashboard so I was slightly relaxed that it didn't damage something important. I then drove back home and laid on the ground to see if there is any leaks and I found no oil or water dripping. That is actually some luck in this unlucky situation...
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6867.00
2011ninja3415.50
      05-05-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I think you’d be better to pay for the repair out of pocket. The exhaust is one piece from the factory and Im betting the dealer will want to replace the entire exhaust. I’m betting a factory exhaust will be 3K or more. I would have a local exhaust shop patch it and call it done. A patch will cost a couple hundred bucks at a local exhaust shop. If you claim it under insurance you’ll be out your deductible and likely a 20-30% increase in your rates.

Some may insist the exhaust be replaced and I get it. I understand wanting your car to be perfect.
Appreciate 3
sna66512.00
Dnshift158.00
      05-05-2024, 03:58 PM   #5
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I think you’d be better to pay for the repair out of pocket. The exhaust is one piece from the factory and Im betting the dealer will want to replace the entire exhaust. I’m betting a factory exhaust will be 3K or more. I would have a local exhaust shop patch it and call it done. A patch will cost a couple hundred bucks at a local exhaust shop. If you claim it under insurance you’ll be out your deductible and likely a 20-30% increase in your rates.

Some may insist the exhaust be replaced and I get it. I understand wanting your car to be perfect.
Good point. Didn't think about the one piece aspect. I'd say this is an opportune time to go with a midpipe aftermarket

Appreciate 3
Mike02z2075.00
Dnshift158.00
      05-05-2024, 04:12 PM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
My advice is don't even bother with this repair. Take this opportunity to swap the midpipe to an AA or MAD single unresonated midpipe. You'll get a much better sound and it'll solve your problem at the same time without having to go through insurance.
Appreciate 8
Needsdecaf6867.00
PVC166.50
mathys213.00
Han4mi120.50
Lupeskew650.00
s58548.00
Dnshift158.00
      05-05-2024, 04:26 PM   #7
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Those tubes are thick - VERY lucky that nothing else was hurt.

Does insurance claim trigger a carfax on the car??? Another reason to not report it.

I would get a new midpipe/agree w/ others. If you don't want that - simple repair. I'd still like to see the bottom of car on lift to check for other issues/damage.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 04:27 PM   #8
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Those tubes are thick - VERY lucky that nothing else was hurt.

Does insurance claim trigger a carfax on the car??? Another reason to not report it.

I would get a new midpipe/agree w/ others. If you don't want that - simple repair. I'd still like to see the bottom of car on lift to check for other issues/damage.
Insurance would only send to carfax if it's a collision claim, afaik. This should be under comprehensive.
Appreciate 2
M4Lou451.00
      05-05-2024, 04:28 PM   #9
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
That’s too bad but you are very lucky nothing else was damaged!

I’d look at a cheap take off stock mid pipe from someone that put on an aftermarket one or go with aftermarket mid pipe yourself.
      05-05-2024, 06:32 PM   #10
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Just buy an x-pipe from Dinan or another manufacturer and replace it. You will be happy with the sound. Lucky the oil cooler was not damaged.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 10:33 PM   #11
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Hard to say exactly where that is on the exhaust, but it’s all one piece after the crossover pipe, so if it’s after that, it’s the entire exhaust that will need to be replaced. If you were going to do an exhaust on it anyway, this would be an opportune time.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 10:59 PM   #12
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Insurance would only send to carfax if it's a collision claim, afaik. This should be under comprehensive.
You’d think. I had pothole damage on an older BMW once that got filed as collision (over $10k for steering rack, some suspension bits, two wheels for “completeness”, realignment, equivalent loaner and a month to repair at the dealer). OP may get lucky but I wouldn’t count on it.
      05-06-2024, 12:17 PM   #13
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hi guys, thank you all for your ideas! I picked up the car from the dealer and after the inspection, they confirm that the exhaust midpipe is the only damage that matters. There are other scratches on the black plastic cover near the midpipe, that will be not a issue. So I still have some luck in this unfortunate incident. I decide to change the midpipe with aftermarket modifications. But I know this part little. Besides AA and MAD midpipes, is there any other good choices with reasonable price? Currently my budget is under $2k usd. I am not a loud exhaust enthusiast. My manual modified BRZ is loud enough LOL actually that is too noisy. I probably do not want to make my manual M3 noisy...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:05 PM   #14
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [8.33]
A number of good options out there. AA is one of the more popular ones, Valvetronic makes an equal length one, MAD is slightly newer but also popular. I have Eisenmann but solely because I have the full Eisenmann exhaust setup.
A number of good options around your price point

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #15
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
A number of good options out there. AA is one of the more popular ones, Valvetronic makes an equal length one, MAD is slightly newer but also popular. I have Eisenmann but solely because I have the full Eisenmann exhaust setup.
A number of good options around your price point
Sir, I would like more help in details. So far as I know, I cannot remove the catalytic converter in the downpipe. I am OK with resonator in the middle removed.
I know that the install will require cuts on the factory pipe, I am not sure if a regular repair shop can do that.
How can I look for the shops that have this kind of experience modify M3/4?
For the parts, do people regularly buy it from the shop do the modify or buy it directly from online? Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:56 PM   #16
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by URmyArtemis View Post
Sir, I would like more help in details. So far as I know, I cannot remove the catalytic converter in the downpipe. I am OK with resonator in the middle removed.
I know that the install will require cuts on the factory pipe, I am not sure if a regular repair shop can do that.
How can I look for the shops that have this kind of experience modify M3/4?
For the parts, do people regularly buy it from the shop do the modify or buy it directly from online? Thank you so much!
I would really just look at doing a midpipe. Don't bother with the downpipes and muffler if you're worried about making it loud. With a midpipe swap, you get a great new tone/sound but with the valves closed and the engine setting in comfort you can still close it all up and make it as silent as stock. It's a great option.

As far as installation, you'll want to find a shop that's worked on BMWs so they know the installation process, but it's fairly simple. They drop the whole thing (just bolts), cut the pipe off, and reattach new one with clamps and bolts. It shouldn't be more than a 2-3 hour install. There's plenty of options in the FL area. If you're in South FL, you can probably even get Active to install it themselves since they're based in Miami.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 02:10 PM   #17
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would really just look at doing a midpipe. Don't bother with the downpipes and muffler if you're worried about making it loud. With a midpipe swap, you get a great new tone/sound but with the valves closed and the engine setting in comfort you can still close it all up and make it as silent as stock. It's a great option.

As far as installation, you'll want to find a shop that's worked on BMWs so they know the installation process, but it's fairly simple. They drop the whole thing (just bolts), cut the pipe off, and reattach new one with clamps and bolts. It shouldn't be more than a 2-3 hour install. There's plenty of options in the FL area. If you're in South FL, you can probably even get Active to install it themselves since they're based in Miami.
Yes, I am in South Florida. I just realized that AA is just based in Miami... Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Berzerker3071.00
      05-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #18
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by URmyArtemis View Post
Yes, I am in South Florida. I just realized that AA is just based in Miami... Thank you!
My personal recommendation is to go with the unresonated single midpipe and keep downpipes and muffler stock. That'll give you a fantastic sound but flexibility to close it all up and keep it silent when you want.

Make sure you add an SST valve controller to get better control over the valves too
Appreciate 2
yocubed1078.00
      05-06-2024, 02:14 PM   #19
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My personal recommendation is to go with the unresonated single midpipe and keep downpipes and muffler stock. That'll give you a fantastic sound but flexibility to close it all up and keep it silent when you want.

Make sure you add an SST valve controller to get better control over the valves too
Thank you so much sir! I will definitely keep the downpipes and muffler as factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:41 PM   #20
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

just get the evolution racewerkes midpipe. made in the US. cheaper than every other option, and better made too.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #21
Greggoryy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X Plaid

MAD single midpipe might be the cheapest at $800
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:10 AM   #22
s58
DROP TABLE EVs;
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3 6MT, 2015 Lexus GX460

My opinion would be to go aftermarket at this point.

I took delivery of my g80 at the end of 2022, and by the time of the break-in service I noticed my exhaust tips from the factory were not all completely in alignment. The service rep agreed, and said they could replace the muffler.

I asked if they could replace the whole exhaust, since it's one unit after the cat that includes the muffler. The service rep said they can't replace the whole unit, since it's so large it comes in pieces from Germany. The one from the factory on the car is one piece, but a replacement would be several pieces for shipping and bolted together, requiring cutting of the original before installation.

I decided to not go through with the replacement because the stock unit would be cut up, and rather just live with the slight mis-alignment.

So basically, this is all to say they will likely not be able to replace the broken piece with a like-for-like replacement.
Join BMWCCA today and become eligible for members only events, discounts, and the new car rebate of up to $1000! Feel free to use me as a referral (with member #553730) which enters me for a performance school day (I should probably be better at driving, anyway).
Appreciate 1