BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

07-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
NJSMGM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3-Stock

Angry Just bought a E46 and SMG light is on.

Hello everyone,
So i just bought a 2003 M3 with the SMG tans with 60,000 miles on it a few days ago. By a few I mean 3 days ago. I got the car and drove it the first day with no problems, second day i only took it to the car wash. On the 3rd day I was driving and the SMG light came on then the engine light then it started switching from gear to 0. I made it to a shop where it is currently being looked at. I called the dealer and he said it wasnt his problem because the car was sold as is. I explained that he sold it to me under false pretenses that the car was working with no problems. He said the car is sold and out of his hands so i will have to take car of the pump myself. I didnt mention the pump was bad which means he knew about the bad pump. I pointed it out to him. Then he said just pull the battery and that will reset all the codes and it should work for a few days, that's what he did. I feel as though he should cover the pump cost because he tricked me and he knew the car was broken. The problem is i bought it as is. My question is there a legal way to make him pay for this? I pissed off cause i put $6000 down and now im screwed and cant afford a 4500 dollar repair

Thanks

Last edited by NJSMGM3; 07-29-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
AltF4
In for pics...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 BMW M3, '09 BMW LCI 335i

Before replacing the pump there are a few cheap things you can do first.

This is a great forum but for more thorough information on the E46 you need to search through m3forums.net. There are tons of threads about the SMG and it's quirks.

Here is a quick summary of things to check:

1) replace the salmon color relay
2) check this link in regards to the temp sensor on the pump:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=372262

It's hot right now and NJ is experiencing a heatwave. So the temp sensor on the pump is probably acting up. Try these "quick" fixes first before spending money on the pump. If it is the pump, get a second quote, 4500.00 seems a bit high.

And to answer your question about legalities of the sale, you bought the car "as-is". I doubt there is anything that can be done. You should have gotten a PPI before buying it anyway. That may have uncovered an SMG issue.

Good luck.

TR MT-1 : ZCP brakes : StopTech
Ground Control Susp/Sway : RE
PFC : UUC/Corsa : BW
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
NJSMGM3
Registered
Rep

Thanks, I will check this out
      07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

If you purchased from a non-BMW dealer...see below. If you did, then make sure you contact BMW corporate about the issue.

This happens all the time when people buy BMWs from non-BMW centers. Let me explain:

When BMWs are traded in or returned on lease, the dealership evaluates whether the car is easily (cheaply) reconditionable. If it is a clean car free of obvious issues or significant paintwork, then they will keep it for their pre-owned inventory. If the car is a piece of sh!t, like this one sounds like it may have been, they "kick" the car to auction. These auctions are where these independent dealerships get their cars!

You probably have no recourse other than an expensive lesson. Next time, be sure to support your local BMW authorized dealer. In life, you get what you paid for and unfortunately I see this at least once a month when my customers don't want to pay "stealership" prices. They call me a week after buying from a little shop and are bitching about the low quality of what they bought.

Expensive mistake that you wont ever make again...thats the only upside.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
NJSMGM3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
If you purchased from a non-BMW dealer...see below. If you did, then make sure you contact BMW corporate about the issue.

This happens all the time when people buy BMWs from non-BMW centers. Let me explain:

When BMWs are traded in or returned on lease, the dealership evaluates whether the car is easily (cheaply) reconditionable. If it is a clean car free of obvious issues or significant paintwork, then they will keep it for their pre-owned inventory. If the car is a piece of sh!t, like this one sounds like it may have been, they "kick" the car to auction. These auctions are where these independent dealerships get their cars!

You probably have no recourse other than an expensive lesson. Next time, be sure to support your local BMW authorized dealer. In life, you get what you paid for and unfortunately I see this at least once a month when my customers don't want to pay "stealership" prices. They call me a week after buying from a little shop and are bitching about the low quality of what they bought.

Expensive mistake that you wont ever make again...thats the only upside.
Thanks for the advice. Yes I purchased the from a non-BMW dealer. The dealer is a high end dealer. I went to the dealer on recommendation from friends, 2 of them purchased range rovers and the 1 got an M5. None had problems. So I assumed the mine wouldn’t either. I ran the car fax for my car and it seemed perfect, 1 owner, no accidents and steady maintenance on the car. No indication of any problems. Why would I assume there would b a problem? The car was not from an auction, the previous owner traded the M3 for a BMW 650 at the dealer. After speaking with the dealer, his shop changed the temp censor and the salmon color relay and I haven’t had problems since. He said he would just like to change the pump just in case, so I am taking it there this weekend for a new pump at his cost. Not all used car dealers that are not BMW are horrible. I just needed to sit down with him and let him know that I will not pay for a broken car. He explained a lot of people try to get over on dealers so he has to be careful who he believes. In the end it all worked out well. Thanks again buddy
      07-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

^^ good to see that your dealer actually managed to work something out with you.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0