BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-09-2024, 04:51 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
My Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s are down to 4/32 after 27k miles. Not getting them again when these are done.
Nearly 30K out of an all season that handles damn near as good as the PS4s is fine with me. Performance tires handle but will wear fast. If you want a slow wearing tire, you compromise traction, handling, and braking. You can't have it all.
Llarry16061.50
      04-10-2024, 02:00 PM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
canada and US prices are not the same. We dont got deals on michelin.

Also, with our roads, the risk that the tire got changed BEFORE it worn out is very high.

So yeah, I keep it simple. I was on my 2nd indy500 set, I love them. Silent, good treadwear for a summer tire, they dont squeal, even when I take a highway exit curve and the 4 wheels slide. and of course it stick good for the price.

Now testing falken fk510.
reviews said they are a bit better than indy500, same price and they look like any classic touring tires.
I don't understand the pt you're trying to make or why you're quoting me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:10 PM   #25
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
So far enjoying the PS4S, switched from pilot supersports. My go to in the past was the conti dws but haven't had them on any of my bmws.

I'm a believer in buying the best tire for the purpose as it's the only part of the car that touches the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:13 PM   #26
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
so to summarize - which are top 3 tires to purchase?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:07 PM   #27
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I don't understand the pt you're trying to make or why you're quoting me.
they are not 2x the price in us, this is why.

also you said you dont look the price. Well, maybe you're lucky, but I never finished a set of tire , because : more 10years, flat or pot hole.

so the cost matter when you need to change 1 tire before end of life, or worst, all 4 because you need equal tire
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:32 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
they are not 2x the price in us, this is why.

also you said you dont look the price. Well, maybe you're lucky, but I never finished a set of tire , because : more 10years, flat or pot hole.

so the cost matter when you need to change 1 tire before end of life, or worst, all 4 because you need equal tire
In the US? Not sure how that's relevant since I live in Canada and those were my records, so the PSSs were ~2x the cost to my Firehawks.

All those other things are not factors, just unlucky events irrelevant to the tire brand/type.

Like I said, your post didn't make any sense to me, esp considering you seem to be agreeing w me on the value-aspect.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:36 PM   #29
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
In the US? Not sure how that's relevant since I live in Canada and those were my records, so the PSSs were ~2x the cost to my Firehawks.

All those other things are not factors, just unlucky events irrelevant to the tire brand/type.

Like I said, your post didn't make any sense to me, esp considering you seem to be agreeing w me on the value-aspect.
dman man, OP is from US, and you said the michlein is 2x and then you give a opinion based on the price.

Your comment is irrelevant for OP question.

This is my point.

then I add my 2 cents, which I think we still can do on a forum ? And yes we agree. All good.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:40 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
dman man, OP is from US, and you said the michlein is 2x and then you give a opinion based on the price.

Your comment is irrelevant for OP question.

This is my point.

then I add my 2 cents, which I think we still can do on a forum ? And yes we agree. All good.
Hey, all I'm doing is giving my own exp, I didn't check where OP's from. However, I would guess it's still significant enough of a difference, so I doubt it's irrelevant, vs your potential replacing 2,3,4 tires/flats/potholes/Mtl roads 'argument'.

You are entitled to provide whatever opinion you want, just didn't make much sense to me.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:52 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
At 15% I guess it may be worth... for me like Tranquilty Firestone VS PS4s is almost double the price in my tire sizes for mostly the same feel. And I mean to say the Michelins are the right tyre isn't accurate either, idk why everyone fanboys over Michelin so hard.

Like if we're talking track sure but street use idk Michelins seem so overrated.
You know what's funny? Our cars came w RFTs and everyone was raving about PSSs and that I *must* get rid of those OEM tires asap cuz it's gonna be night and day. Well, to me it wasn't lol. I don't do crazy stuff on public roads, so while I could feel better grip, it wasn't anything earth-shattering amazing. I suppose if one goes to the track or does more extreme things in public, maybe, but talking about spirited driving, I don't feel much improvement and I wonder if some ppl are just giving their input due to placebo. This also goes for ppl who say they can feel a difference of 1 psi in tires haha. I shudder to think of how much $$$$$ in spent in like, what 13 years, exclusively using PSSs, including replacements. Ouch.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:21 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
You know what's funny? Our cars came w RFTs and everyone was raving about PSSs and that I *must* get rid of those OEM tires asap cuz it's gonna be night and day. Well, to me it wasn't lol. I don't do crazy stuff on public roads, so while I could feel better grip, it wasn't anything earth-shattering amazing. I suppose if one goes to the track or does more extreme things in public, maybe, but talking about spirited driving, I don't feel much improvement and I wonder if some ppl are just giving their input due to placebo. This also goes for ppl who say they can feel a difference of 1 psi in tires haha. I shudder to think of how much $$$$$ in spent in like, what 13 years, exclusively using PSSs, including replacements. Ouch.

On my 2014 535i I went from the ROF Michelin Primacy's. When those wore out, I, on a whim, bought the (non-ROF) Pilot Super Sport's. I didn't like them at all as, to me, they felt squishy and lacked steering feel; I went back to the Primacy's. I know I seem to be in the minority here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 12:10 PM   #33
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
We're having an on-topic conversation in the off-topic forum? My head hurts.
hubbahubba8845.00
dradernh4414.50
Buug95917441.00
      04-23-2024, 12:48 PM   #34
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I am on my third year with my Michelin PS 4S Great tires no complaints other than $ amount. was thinking of being cheap, yeah I know bad Idea...and trying the Kumho PS91, I still have spare set of PS 4S with low mileage already mounted on my other car. So ijust noticed TR did a comparison of the 4 best performers, guess I just get another set of PS 4S
PS4S price has taken off to the moon for the 20 inchers in GB
Appreciate 1
dradernh4414.50
      04-23-2024, 03:42 PM   #35
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
PS4S price has taken off to the moon for the 20 inchers in GB
Michelin...20" tire...pricing? Stop, you're scaring me!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60238.00
      04-23-2024, 11:40 PM   #36
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Another vote for Firestone Firehawk Indy500. You won’t be sorry.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 01:20 AM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Michelin...20" tire...pricing? Stop, you're scaring me!
Like price hiking of up to 50% more since just 2-3 years ago.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4414.50
      04-24-2024, 01:23 AM   #38
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Another vote for Firestone Firehawk Indy500. You won’t be sorry.
Looks good like the Good Year Eagle SS F1's.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:15 AM   #39
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Looks good like the Good Year Eagle SS F1's.
Performance is where it’s at really. I actually prefer these over Michelins PSS tires. I hate the squirmy ass sidewalls on pretty much all Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:20 PM   #40
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
PSs are supposedly the standard but personally I never got the benefit of them by just driving on public roads. They wear out WAY too quickly and are ridiculously expensive: I never really cared for price because I've exclusively used them from Day 1 until just recently switching to my first set of Firehawks, and I personally don't see any tangible real-world difference, at least not enough to justify, what is it, 2x the cost?
They are worth every penny when that bit of extra grip helps you avoid being in a wreck. I know for certain that this has been the case for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:24 PM   #41
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-m3 View Post
They are worth every penny when that bit of extra grip helps you avoid being in a wreck. I know for certain that this has been the case for me.
Yes, if you push it that far to be in the realm of possibility of getting into a wreck, for sure, but I'm saying that I don't to anything like that esp since I'm purely a road user driving w other ppl, so, no real benefit to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:04 PM   #42
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
Yes, if you push it that far to be in the realm of possibility of getting into a wreck, for sure, but I'm saying that I don't to anything like that esp since I'm purely a road user driving w other ppl, so, no real benefit to me.
Nothing like that. Car pulling from a stopped lane into my lane and being able to stop with just inches to spare. My passengers were sure we were going to hit them. example 2, 2 lanes of traffic, a car to my right just ahead of me, a truck turns left in front of us from the right side of the road. I didn't see the truck as the other car blocked my view. The other car hit the rear end of the truck, the truck moved slowly across my lane, debris flying everywhere. 45 zone and I was able to slow enough that the truck cleared from in front of me. My wife thought it was magic with the path clearing in front of us. In both cases if my car didn't have superior tires I would not have been able to slow in time and would have hit something. Absolutely no 'Pushing it' on my part.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:06 AM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-m3 View Post
Nothing like that. Car pulling from a stopped lane into my lane and being able to stop with just inches to spare. My passengers were sure we were going to hit them. example 2, 2 lanes of traffic, a car to my right just ahead of me, a truck turns left in front of us from the right side of the road. I didn't see the truck as the other car blocked my view. The other car hit the rear end of the truck, the truck moved slowly across my lane, debris flying everywhere. 45 zone and I was able to slow enough that the truck cleared from in front of me. My wife thought it was magic with the path clearing in front of us. In both cases if my car didn't have superior tires I would not have been able to slow in time and would have hit something. Absolutely no 'Pushing it' on my part.
Good to know you were safe.

Personally, I don't think it would've made much difference as the Indys aren't bargain-basement in terms of performance and I try to slow down even more and look out for ppl that are clueless and step out like that.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #44
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I am on my third year with my Michelin PS 4S Great tires no complaints other than $ amount. was thinking of being cheap, yeah I know bad Idea...and trying the Kumho PS91, I still have spare set of PS 4S with low mileage already mounted on my other car. So ijust noticed TR did a comparison of the 4 best performers, guess I just get another set of PS 4S
I have 2 sets of Michelin ps4s, one set of Continental extreme contact sport 02, one set of Continental extreme contact sport DW and one set of Firestone indy 500, and I can tell you that the indy 500 are not even close to the ps4s or the Continentals when it comes to grip.

The Continental extreme contact sports 02 are just as good as the ps4s for 25% less money.
The Continental extreme contact sport DW are awesome too, but they are a step below the 02s.

I also have 2 sets of Continentals extreme contact DWS06, but they are all season tires that are awesome in the snow, but not when you are pushing a car to it's limits.

It all depends on how aggressive of a driver you are. If you don't drive your car hard, then the Indy 500s are some of the best summer tires for the money. The Firestone Indy 500 is an exact copy of the Bridgestone Potenza RE003.

I have the Indy 500 on a very powerful car, but I know how far I can push it before I start sliding.
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 3
Esteban43827.50
Alfisti6511.50
s_ribs37.50