home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Mental health

I know we have touched on it but what are you all doing to stay sane these days?
Are you feeling like things are just different these days?

I love my job, my wife and I get along good but man I just feel like a pile of poop. I live in what I think is one of the most beautiful spots around and I just feel extra blah lately and I can’t seem to snap out of it. 48 years and I have never had my mental state rule my like it is now.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I think most everyone is questioning/evaluating their mental health these days. At least, I know I am.

Having said that, this is not the first time for me. Every few years or so, I reflect on my time in Vietnam, resulting in asking myself some questions: Was I competent; who around me was competent or incompetent; what did I bring home; did I get over it, etc.

After I retired 10 years ago, I occasionally find myself asking myself similar questions. I eventually find the answers and I can honestly say that I am at peace. I know where I did good and where I screwed up. I also know who around me were reliable and who were not. I saw the red flags, but did my job anyway. I saw the obstacles, but did my job anyway.

Reflection is a good thing, I think.

Today, my sanity lies heavily in keeping my house in order, hanging out with my wife and kitty. I also take time to read a lot, and giving thanks for my many blessings.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4493.50
      07-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Thinking it's the age thing, I went through this at the same period of time. Can't give you any advice on it as my now ex asked for a divorce in the same period of time and it didn't help.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4493.50
2000cs3502.50
      07-27-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I went through a horrible time mentally 9 years ago, I feel great now. I learned the word no, stopped co-dependency for the most part and learned to just be happy having a roof over my head and food in my stomach.

I also learned that I was too practical and living in fear. I stopped that, one of the 1st things I did was finally buy a sports car.

I was surrounded by death in a previous job and I learned you need to enjoy life because you never know when your ticket gets punched. Not saying you go too crazy but enjoy life the best you can and learn to be satisfied with the place you're at. It's easy to compare yourself towards others but this is a big drain.

I think the biggest thing going on right now is everyone is so angry. I think this is on purpose so it causes division. The news and social media are the biggest happiness drainers out there. The whole divide and conquer is a real thing. I see it with my own parents, they watch too much news and always feel like the sky is failing.

I love listening to "conspiracy" podcasts while I'm working and I've had to mostly give that up as I found it to also be a source of causing paranoia. Could they be right? Absolutely and are starting to be proven right. But you can fill your brain with too much of that and you'll be in a bad spot. I've switched to a deeper religious podcast and I already feel a difference in how I feel and project towards others.

You are what you intake and this will also snowball towards others in your life...for better or worse.
Appreciate 6
2000cs3502.50
Tommy-G4493.50
F32Fleet3587.00
Robin_NL8718.50
nyalpine907433.00
      07-28-2022, 06:29 AM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I go through these spells now and then. Here’s what helps me.

1. Eat something, or drink some OJ. Get the blood sugar up. Change of eating routine helps, maybe go out to a local place and have something different. I like the smaller local restaurants where people will chat, especially breakfast.

2. No alcohol. I don’t drink much or often, but I really want to drink when I’m feeling blah, or worse. For me alcohol just drives me further into the funk, and that can be a very dark place, so I’ve learned to not touch it unless I’m feeling pretty good.

3. Do something. The old sayings, “busy hands are happy hands” and “the idle mind is the devil’s workshop” hold true for me. This is a great time for me to take on all the little projects, especially ones where I have to research materials, technique, etc. And there is usually some satisfaction in a job done well enough, that helps pull me out of it.

4. Avoid the news, social media, and people who want to discuss those things. Politely change the subject or end the conversation if necessary. I agree with Our03z4 on this.

5. Physical activity or exercise, again breaking the usual routine. I like to take the dog for a long walk. A long walk alone allows my mind to go bad places, but with the dog I have to concentrate on her and that helps.

6. Engage in something that is helpful to others. This may be the most beneficial. Join a service organization to really commit, or just practice random acts of kindness. Examples, at a restaurant, pay someone else’s bill anonymously. Buy the groceries for the person in front of you in line. Help someone load their purchases into their car (especially elderly). Small stuff but can really help get your head right.

Everything on that list can be done in one day, every day.

A little funk or blah feeling should pass in a few days, faster for me if I do the above. Obviously anything more serious or lasting than the OP described may merit professional assistance.
Appreciate 12
cmyx6go15762.50
Tommy-G4493.50
shiftdnb376.50
CamasM3e933165.50
Dino GT35134.50
sygazelle11430.00
aj_g80551.00
scostu1623.00
antgenn319.00
      07-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

For all my ranting and negativity I am a surprisingly positive person in regards to my own awareness of what an easy life I lead compared to many on a global scale. Western peoples need to stop naval gazing so much, you could be working in clothing factory in bangladesh. Chin up motherfuckers.

Jokes aside, I never have to worry about food, clothing, medical care or housing for my family so to me, 90% of my problems are solved and I am aware that is unusual, again, on a global scale. I wish I was home to see my family but that's my own stupidity.

I was raised quite poor, though I did not know it at the time, so that gave me perspective. Not from a "having nice shit" perspective but a "i know where the next meal is coming from" perspective.
Appreciate 8
RickFLM410981.00
Tommy-G4493.50
CamasM3e933165.50
Dino GT35134.50
cmyx6go15762.50
F32Fleet3587.00
Robin_NL8718.50
      07-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #7
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

What helped me, and still helps is prayer. I don't feel hopeless, I see the change in my life, and I can see the world for what it is. While I'm not where I want to be spiritually, mentally and physically, I'm way better now that I was without it. It brings me hope, joy and peace
Tommy-G4493.50
CamasM3e933165.50
rebekahb3132.50
      07-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Especially a YOUR AGE

1) Exercise. It doesn't get any easier, and you may have to adapt what you do to get some, but it's even more important

2) Quit driving mad. I gave up road rage for Lent this year. Every now and then it still slips. But I drove home from a Dodger game, that let out at 3:30, and it was only that one yahoo who kept changing lanes on the freeway merge, and then wanted to wave at me that got any reaction. I just sat in traffic when I had to, adjusted the radio.

3) Let go of the other anger. See 1 above, and it's OK to periodically walk off by yourself and just scream.

P.S. 56 in a few days.
Tommy-G4493.50
EdM54066.00
cmyx6go15762.50
paquet629.50
F32Fleet3587.00
Robin_NL8718.50
      07-28-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

So heres the things I am trying to contemplate:
-I dont ever have road rage since moving to Florida. To many people with guns and I'm in Florida, theres not reason in the world for me to be angry.
-I'm not an angry person or unhappy, I'm just in a damn long funk and I agree its all pandemic related.
-Walking my dog is a good one but its damn hot here (any everywhere now) so he cant be out much b/c hes a brachycephalic dog
-I'm not religious or spiritual but maybe that is something to consider
-I grew up as an only child with one working parent and my parents got me most everything I wanted but we never had anything fancy. We ate cube steaks, Ground Round was a big night out for dinner and we rolled pennies for Friday pizza

Some of you guys nailed it. Everyone just seems angry and bitter. Then the younger generation is completely entitled.
I have most everything I want (minus a Ferrari 355 Spyder and a 32" waste again) but I just feel blah

Sorry to complain or sound whiny I just wonder if I am the only one or is it completely environmental.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3502.50
paquet629.50
      07-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Kinleyg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition Xdrive

I think this is an important topic. A lot of great things have already been said that have helped me personally. Let the anger go, being grateful for everything I have, regular consistent exercise, and most importantly try and enjoy the moments.

One other thing for me is, I was very into video games many years ago. In the last couple years to help deal with the anger I got into playing call of duty again. I am sure to many it sounds strange that to deal with anger I play a violent video game but I find it so incredibly calming, it's an escape that doesn't involve leaving the house.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
paquet629.50
      07-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #11
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Bah. I've been in a bit of a goof here lately, too.

I'm someone that always needs to be doing something. Just finished up a monster project I've been leading that had me traveling and working with hundreds of engineers across the southeast for the past few months. While I didn't necessarily enjoy being away from home, it was surprisingly great to have constant face-to-face interaction from basically sun up to well past sun down with a tremendous workload.

Now that the project is complete, I'm in a "limbo" state in that I'm getting ready to hop into a new role that will relocate me and my family among other things. Still plenty to do for work in the interim, but it's got me at the home office the majority of the time and I've come to realize that I really do not have any hobbies that chew up any "down time." I've been busting tail on the house for the past couple years, but I'm effectively done with all projects. Now what?

Short of the story is that, for me at least:
  1. I must stay busy
  2. I need more frequent human interaction
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
Tommy-G4493.50
      07-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I've suffered with anxiety/depression on/off my entire adult life. The pandemic definitely made it worse with the constant sense of impending doom and being stuck in the house.

Tried a few different meds so far this pandemic, but nothing seemed to work and had other, common consequences that I didn't wasn't ok dealing with.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4493.50
      07-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #13
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
So heres the things I am trying to contemplate:
-I dont ever have road rage since moving to Florida. To many people with guns and I'm in Florida, theres not reason in the world for me to be angry.
-I'm not an angry person or unhappy, I'm just in a damn long funk and I agree its all pandemic related.
-Walking my dog is a good one but its damn hot here (any everywhere now) so he cant be out much b/c hes a brachycephalic dog
-I'm not religious or spiritual but maybe that is something to consider
-I grew up as an only child with one working parent and my parents got me most everything I wanted but we never had anything fancy. We ate cube steaks, Ground Round was a big night out for dinner and we rolled pennies for Friday pizza

Some of you guys nailed it. Everyone just seems angry and bitter. Then the younger generation is completely entitled.
I have most everything I want (minus a Ferrari 355 Spyder and a 32" waste again) but I just feel blah

Sorry to complain or sound whiny I just wonder if I am the only one or is it completely environmental.
You're by no means the only one. I think ALL of us are feeling this to some degree, some more than others. I'm doing pretty well but only because I'm a total introvert. My wife, on the otherhand is really struggling. She's an HSP and picks up on all the anger, sadness, hatred, and general negativity in the world around her and its having a serious emotional toll on her.

So no, you arent alone by any means!
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4493.50
cmyx6go15762.50
      07-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Steps:
1) Delete all social media and don't watch the news
2) Do whatever the hell you want to

This is the closest thing I have to social media, feels great. When I want to know something I look it up. I have way too much going on in my life to give two shits about what someone else is doing. If you have time to feel sorry for yourself go find a passion and pursue it.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 6
DocL1930.00
Tommy-G4493.50
cmyx6go15762.50
paquet629.50
br438583.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      07-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I won't go into my personal beliefs because you're al going to think I'm nutty, but to sum it up, I believe that the psychoses of society is encouraged and engineered to some extent. meaning, we encourage behaviors that are counter intuitive for the healthy development for our youth and ourselves.

Putting that aside, there are "proven" things you can do to lower your stress and improve your health, mentally, spiritually and physically.

Get Sunlight - Vitamin D isn't just a "vitamin" it's also a hormone. And for men, it aids in building testosterone. I would also mention that low T can lead to a lot of issues, including anxiety, lower sexual desire, hairloss, weight gain, etc

Walk outside - bonus - Walkoutside barefoot - I recently started doing this with my wife at the beach, and it really does relax you. Not only have studies shown that it has quite a few benefits, like lower blood pressure, better sleeping, more energy, it can help reduce stress and get you out of the house

Avoid social media - purely created to control your perception of reality by inundating you with nonsense of selective photos of friends and acquaintance "happiness" instead, try to find a hobby, which you'll notice people have less of these days...

Prayer - If you haven't found the creator, I encourage you to try. It's truly something you must experience and test for yourself - best of all, it costs absolutely nothing and actually does something, unlike some drugs out there...
paquet629.50
Tommy-G4493.50
cmyx6go15762.50
Robin_NL8718.50
      07-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Things certainly are different, and tougher for avoiding these depressive or anxious reactions; you are definitely not alone, it is very common. Mood issues are a little like a fire - when small and well managed they are tolerable and often helpful; when they get raging they can overwhelm typical systems and become a separate problem all their own. With the depressive side (what you describe) it has a snowball effect - you lose motivation and reward systems, so you are less likely to do the things that would help pull you out of it (experienced as 'I don't feel like doing a/t, nothing feels good, even stuff I used to enjoy').

This thread has a bunch of good advice for managing mood (especially the activity, socializing, exercising, get enough sleep). If you are doing these things and still feeling down, or if you 'know you should but still haven't' then you should move up to professional therapy support. First stop is a decent physical (many low grade medical issues can trigger this). For mental health treatment I'd suggest a talk therapy/psychotherapy, either alone or with meds (psychiatry/meds alone can sometimes help, but psychotherapy is where you get real durable changes).
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4493.50
cmyx6go15762.50
      07-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #17
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Find a local decent jiu-jitsu gym, get an open mat schedule, and roll
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4493.50
      07-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #18
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I won't go into my personal beliefs because you're al going to think I'm nutty, but to sum it up, I believe that the psychoses of society is encouraged and engineered to some extent. meaning, we encourage behaviors that are counter intuitive for the healthy development for our youth and ourselves.

Putting that aside, there are "proven" things you can do to lower your stress and improve your health, mentally, spiritually and physically.

Get Sunlight - Vitamin D isn't just a "vitamin" it's also a hormone. And for men, it aids in building testosterone. I would also mention that low T can lead to a lot of issues, including anxiety, lower sexual desire, hairloss, weight gain, etc

Walk outside - bonus - Walkoutside barefoot - I recently started doing this with my wife at the beach, and it really does relax you. Not only have studies shown that it has quite a few benefits, like lower blood pressure, better sleeping, more energy, it can help reduce stress and get you out of the house

Avoid social media - purely created to control your perception of reality by inundating you with nonsense of selective photos of friends and acquaintance "happiness" instead, try to find a hobby, which you'll notice people have less of these days...

Prayer - If you haven't found the creator, I encourage you to try. It's truly something you must experience and test for yourself - best of all, it costs absolutely nothing and actually does something, unlike some drugs out there...
Nope, ur not nutty…

This was a perspective changer for me:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12108272/

And for the OP…quit giving such a fuk about “stuff”. Tough to do if you’re part of the machine and a people pleaser. As another post pointed out, get comfortable with “saying no”. It gets easier with practice and being super mindful of how far you stretch yourself to please others or outcomes.

Lastly, over the last couple years I’ve finally figured out, in my early 50’s, to quit trying to figure out the logic behind other people’s and society’s decisions…this is a game changer. While I care, I’m not the global jack-ass whisperer. Be you, and apply your care, passions, and kindness to those who can use and appreciate it (without the need for reciprocation).

Oh, and get plenty of sleep. Really.

Be well.

B.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4493.50
AmuroRay2290.00
      07-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #19
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Not nutty. Agree 100%

And all your other points have me nodding in agreement.
I don't claim to know how good Vit D is but lack of it can mess one up.

Social media is just the worst kind of attack upon one's wellbeing, be it bullying, trolling, keeping up with the Joneses, whatever.

And having faith to center one's rudder is never a bad thing.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
AmuroRay2290.00
      07-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #20
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Has anyone ever done float tanks or salt baths? (Def not bath salts fellow Floridians)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Has anyone ever done float tanks or salt baths? (Def not bath salts fellow Floridians)
One of my favorite things to do is sitting in spa every late afternoon, with a cup of my favorite Chard.

I watch the clouds; bird; lizards; my kitty, etc. So relaxing.

Before the spa time, I spend a couple hours on my favorite patio on the hillside and under our oak tree. Kitty hangs out with me along with some Scrub jays and lizards, plus honey-bees visiting the rosemary in front of me. When I get up to leave, I grab a few fresh tomatoes from our nearby tomato plants for an evening snack.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4493.50
      07-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

About you age I tried a float, expecting Altered State levels of change. It wasn't the sensory deprivation I imagined, and I kept stressing over touching the sides of the tank. One and done, and I do yoga

Here: hookers and blow