Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #1256
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Smoked a butt Sunday. Since I didn't have a set time it needed to be done I cooked it at like 215-230 for almost 16 hours.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
robertm449.50
lakefront560.50
King Rudi13152.00
      03-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #1257
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I bought an offset smoker after years of using BGE. First cook this weekend. It's a bit of a learning curve but fun new toy for sure. Ribs turned out absolutely fantastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #1258
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Not really BBQ I guess, although I do make it in the smoker, but made some badass jerkey the other day. For some reason the meat I usually get was extra thin this time around and towards the end I accidentally left the heat on too high and fell asleep. Anyways ended up coming out way better, only wish I had made more.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #1259
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I bought an offset smoker after years of using BGE. First cook this weekend. It's a bit of a learning curve but fun new toy for sure. Ribs turned out absolutely fantastic.
Looks like a nice setup you have there. I had a Off Set Smoker years ago which was my first Smoker. I never could get it to cook correctly. Ended up giving it away. Now I own a Electric Smoker and that thing ROCKS! I've Smoked countless Ribs, Chicken and a whole Turkey.
Good luck to you...
      03-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #1260
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
did some smoking over the weekend.

corned beef and brisket
They both look fantastic. Great photos, too. Good job!
      03-25-2020, 02:45 AM   #1261
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Here's how we BBQ in the middle of the ocean at the sandbar here in Hawaii.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
lakefront560.50
12v_dub295.00
King Rudi13152.00
bimmerfrk583.00
dizz81296.00
JJ 911SC21884.50
      03-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #1262
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

you win
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17872.50
Da808dad444.00
      03-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #1263
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Not really BBQ I guess, although I do make it in the smoker, but made some badass jerkey the other day. For some reason the meat I usually get was extra thin this time around and towards the end I accidentally left the heat on too high and fell asleep. Anyways ended up coming out way better, only wish I had made more.
What cuts? I ran my first attempt thru the smoker on Saturday. I found some sort of almost round cut at the local store, then found a recipe from Masterbuilt (my electric smoker) that had apple cider as the main ingredient.

Firstly, apple cider is just WAY too strong a flavor. Second, I didn't think leaving a bit of fat on the edges would be an issue, but while the meat was nicely solid, the fat was still all white and jiggly. That is the dog's favorite bit. Just too far from bacon fat for my tastes. "But between the two of them, they licked the platter clean!"

This morning I dropped some thin flank steak into a mixture of Sweet Baby, beer, water, and chile pepper and just a touch of plain white vinegar. When I get home it's going in the smoker at 180 for about 5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #1264
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Sounds like a winner Unc! Post up after done...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #1265
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
What cuts? I ran my first attempt thru the smoker on Saturday. I found some sort of almost round cut at the local store, then found a recipe from Masterbuilt (my electric smoker) that had apple cider as the main ingredient.

Firstly, apple cider is just WAY too strong a flavor. Second, I didn't think leaving a bit of fat on the edges would be an issue, but while the meat was nicely solid, the fat was still all white and jiggly. That is the dog's favorite bit. Just too far from bacon fat for my tastes. "But between the two of them, they licked the platter clean!"

This morning I dropped some thin flank steak into a mixture of Sweet Baby, beer, water, and chile pepper and just a touch of plain white vinegar. When I get home it's going in the smoker at 180 for about 5 hours.
They sell this pack of what they call "sizzle steak" at walmart. I'm guessing its like some top round sliced thin. Key is to get it as thin as possible. This last batch came out extra good because the steak was thinner than normal. I may pound it out some next time if it's not super thin.

For the marinade I use like 3 part pineapple juice (stole this looking at ingredients in one of my favorite jerkies) to 1 part soy sauce. Since the steak is very thin I only marinade a couple hours maybe like 2-3 hours.

Put them on a rack the cover with black pepper. I cook them in the smoker (but don't use smoke, becomes overwhelming since they are so thin) at around 150 for however it long it takes, usually several hours. This time around after maybe an hour or 2 I ended up falling asleep and temp rose to like 250 for maybe an hour or less. Personally I love how they came out, made them extra crispy, but did not burn. So will probably try that on purpose next time.

As for the fat... this cut is pretty lean, but does have minor fat on the edges. The fat will not preserve well so right after it's done I will usually just cut the fatty edges off and eat those right away. On mine the fat is usually cooked and super tasty, maybe yours was too thick?

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 03-25-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #1266
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Smile

New York Strips for Dinner last Night...

And before you mention it... YES! My family and I prefer Medium Rare. I don't fuck with bloody or undercooked meats. And YES! It was still tender and flavorful AF!
      03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #1267
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

They sell this pack of what they call "sizzle steak" at walmart. I'm guessing its like some top round sliced thin. Key is to get it as thin as possible. This last batch came out extra good because the steak was thinner than normal. I may pound it out some next time if it's not super thin.

For the marinade I use like 3 part pineapple juice (stole this looking at ingredients in one of my favorite jerkies) to 1 part soy sauce. Since the steak is very thin I only marinade a couple hours maybe like 2-3 hours.

Put them on a rack the cover with black pepper. I cook them in the smoker (but don't use smoke, becomes overwhelming since they are so thin) at around 150 for however it long it takes, usually several hours. This time around after maybe an hour or 2 I ended up falling asleep and temp rose to like 250 for maybe an hour or less. Personally I love how they came out, made them extra crispy, but did not burn. So will probably try that on purpose next time.

As for the fat... this cut is pretty lean, but does have minor fat on the edges. The fat will not preserve well so right after it's done I will usually just cut the fatty edges off and eat those right away. On mine the fat is usually cooked and super tasty, maybe yours was too thick?

Everybody here in Hawaii is making their own of this with their own flavors and marinades. People are opening stores and businesses here just making and selling this. It's basically dehydrated beef jerky. We call it Jerky Chips here in Hawaii.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #1268
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
Everybody here in Hawaii is making their own of this with their own flavors and marinades. People are opening stores and businesses here just making and selling this. It's basically dehydrated beef jerky. We call it Jerky Chips here in Hawaii.
Interesting, been to tons of jerky stores, but never seen jerky chips before. Sounds good though!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #1269
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Last time I split the meat lengthwise about 3 x per cut. This time I just pulled at the natural fat break and put larger slices on the rack. Still so thin that it wants to droop thru the racks. Been in for about 1.5 hours. I put the second half of the Negra Modelo in the water pan

Wind is blowing pretty good here tonight so I put the temp at 190. Seems to almost hover there
      03-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #1270
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Better than the first batch. Still needs SOMETHING. Wife recommended habanero

I actively had the smoker on at 190 for 4.5 hours, then turned it off and went to bed. This was coming out after work

About half the bag is gone now
Attached Images

03-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #1271
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

My buddy that owns the local beer growler shop recently started carrying quality meat. So I was bored out of my mind Sunday afternoon and stopped by for a bottle of red, a cigar, and a big ribeye. I reverse sear it on the egg. It came out a little OD, more medium, since I had to burn my pregnant wife's steak. He also gave me a little pack of Banner butter, it was great.

Appreciate 3
RickFLM410879.00
JJ 911SC21884.50
      03-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1272
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Is a smoker really worth buying? I want to make amazing brisket and ribs at home... and if I do buy a smoker - do the electric ones work as well as the traditional kind?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #1273
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Is a smoker really worth buying? I want to make amazing brisket and ribs at home... and if I do buy a smoker - do the electric ones work as well as the traditional kind?

Thank you
I had a Weber smoker for years. Initially I used it a lot. But over time I used it less and less. Like most things, it is worth having if you use it. So you need to think about whether or not you'll really use it enough to make it worth buying.
      03-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #1274
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thank you
I would highly recommend something like a big green egg or komando Joe. You can smoke low and slow or kick it up to 800 degrees for searing steak, it just takes a little practice. If you already have a decent grill, Traegers are great smokers but they are kinda cheating. Haha.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #1275
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Thanks for the replies/insight - I use my Weber grill quite often - just looking for something more .

Big green egg is out of the budget I reckon until things get back to biz as usual, but solid suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #1276
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I would highly recommend something like a big green egg or komando Joe. You can smoke low and slow or kick it up to 800 degrees for searing steak, it just takes a little practice. If you already have a decent grill, Traegers are great smokers but they are kinda cheating. Haha.
Smokers are great. I have not used a ceramic cooker (egge/joe) but I have had some very tasty bbq out of them.

I have used a vertical water smoker (stainless steel cabinet, burner at the bottom, cast iron smoke box, water bowl) and I have two treagers.

Pellet cookers are 'cheating' a little bit, and I do believe you leave a little bit of 'quality of the cook' on the table. If you learn how to use your pellet cooker you will get 90% of the quality for about 60% of the work.

If you are new to bbq I would highly recommend a treager, you get to all but eliminate the temperature variable and get good product the first time and every time. The better your results the more you will enjoy it, and you get to work on your recipes.

I would like to get (or make) an offset stick burner next, but I am very happy with the experience I have had using my treagers.

BTW, you can make excellent pizza on a treager, it takes a bit longer.
Appreciate 1