Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3power View Post
Anyone have experience with a ticket like this:

"Failure to dim lights" (first offense) $62

I was driving in my X3 out of state (in New Hampshire) on a pretty empty road with my high beams on. It was around 11:30 PM. In essence, the road was a one way road, so no oncoming traffic.

A black police car sped past me in the neighboring lane and tapped its brakes a few times. I couldn't interpret what the officer in the car was trying to do. He then pulled me over and said that he was trying to signal me to dim my lights and served me a complaint summons.

I can either plead not guilty, guilty, or no contest (NoLo). I will pay it, but am worried that maybe insurance will see it and rack up prices?
Anyone have clues?

Anyone else here received a ticket like this?

Not reading the entire posts.

But, your error... hard to fight a HighBeam ticket.

However, you mentioned you were out of state. It depends on if whatever state you're licensed in is reciprocal with the state you got the ticket in. Its highly unlikely a HighBeam ticket will result in points, let alone an increase in auto insurance and that is if your auto insurance company even finds out. So, check and see if you are licensed in a reciprocal state then what your state's rules penalities are for the same offense and if reciprocal the traffic violation may transfer.

Plead as you choose and pay the fine.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      05-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #46
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
We don't have to worry about that in Cali. It's legal to pass on the right provided there is more than 1 lane of traffic going the same direction. I can't imagine how this isn't legal everywhere, but also not going to search 49 other state's laws to prove someone wrong.
The logic for not allowing passing on the right is that because in most states and most COUNTRIES for that matter, driving faster than other lanes is reserved for the left lanes (or opposite depending on which side of the road is being driven on)

Because of this, the traffic flowing on the right lanes will be slower so passing is dangerous because another vehicle ahead of you in the right lane will be going too slow for you to pass.

And actually in California there is a keep right law if you're not passing. The left lane is no longer allowed for just cruising. It's never enforced 99.9% of the time because we have stupid cops but it is technically the law
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #47
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
I always maintain control of my high beams when other people are around but I would only expect a cop to give out a warning if it even is a ticket-able offense. Plenty of people mis-identify newer technology headlights as brights and flash you thinking your LED/Laser lights are set to brights when it's just the beam configuration. It is pretty difficult to forget that the brights are on with the big blue symbol on your dash however.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #48
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
I always maintain control of my high beams when other people are around but I would only expect a cop to give out a warning if it even is a ticket-able offense. Plenty of people mis-identify newer technology headlights as brights and flash you thinking your LED/Laser lights are set to brights when it's just the beam configuration. It is pretty difficult to forget that the brights are on with the big blue symbol on your dash however.
I would think so as well but that's just expecting too much of the average American citizen. The average person has average intelligence but then you realize that means there's half of the population that are below average.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #49
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
And actually in California there is a keep right law if you're not passing. The left lane is no longer allowed for just cruising. It's never enforced 99.9% of the time because we have stupid cops but it is technically the law
Wow! I haven't taken my written test, since I got my license and I don't remember if this was always a law? I remember that the furthest Lane to the left on a freeway was called lane 1 and the "fast lane" and on parts of certain freeways it's a carpool lane. Usually in the past vehicles driving at least 10+ MPH would stay in the "fast lane." I used Google and did a search first. I know slower traffic is supposed to drive on the right lanes. Now I even see busses and large commercial trucks in all lanes, including the fast lane on top of the idiots who drive in the fast lane going literally 10-15 MPH UNDER the POSTED speed limit and sometimes changing the flow of traffic to also be 50-55 MPH in a 65 zone until you can weave between all 4 lanes with 4 drivers continuously and simultaneously under speeding nearly side by side with literally nothing ahead, no traffic, no accident, no bad weather, no construction zone, just open road.

When did this become a law, or has it always been? Sorry like I said I haven't taken a written test since I got my license and couldn't find the answer searching first
IIRC I believe it was around 2015-2016 but not sure. It's not as black and white as other states where it's defined as a passing lane but it's something to the effect of regardless of your speed in the left lane, if someone is trying to go faster you have to move over. This is not dependent on traffic but rather based on speed.

But again it's never enforced so it basically doesn't exist lol

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 05-29-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Illegal to pass on the right???

So the idiot in the left lane going slow you just have to wait behind them the whole time? Makes no sense at all on a multi lane highway

Do you mean pass on the right shoulder in the emergency lane?
No, I mean on a two lane road, it is illegal to over-take a vehicle on the vehicle's right side (i.e. blind side). It's an old law that stems from back in the time when American cars did not have right-hand review mirrors. Two lane road means two (2) lanes going the same direction. Most states have this law, or one similar to it. The matching law to it is you are supposed to move right when over-taking cars are approaching from the rear.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #51
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No, I mean on a two lane road, it is illegal to over-take a vehicle on the vehicle's right side (i.e. blind side). It's an old law that stems from back in the time when American cars did not have right-hand review mirrors. Two lane road means two (2) lanes going the same direction. Most states have this law, or one similar to it. The matching law to it is you are supposed to move right when over-taking cars are approaching from the rear.
Can you show me one state law that prohibits passing another vehicle on the right while on a a road with two lanes going the same direction? I will tell you Texas it isn't true. I suspect NO states have such a law. It is generally unlawful to pass on an unimproved shoulder, or a paved shoulder unless to pass a vehicle stopped in the main lane.

And what you described is a 4 lane road. 2 lane road generally describes a roadway with one lane in each direction.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #52
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Can you show me one state law that prohibits passing another vehicle on the right while on a a road with two lanes going the same direction? I will tell you Texas it isn't true. I suspect NO states have such a law. It is generally unlawful to pass on an unimproved shoulder, or a paved shoulder unless to pass a vehicle stopped in the main lane.

And what you described is a 4 lane road. 2 lane road generally describes a roadway with one lane in each direction.
Here is ours:

Quote:
13 AAC 02.055. Passing on right
(a) Except as provided in (c) of this section, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under conditions permitting the movement in safety, and
(1) when the vehicle overtaken is making, or is about to make, a left turn from a lane to the left of the overtaking vehicle, or is stopped or disabled; or
(2) when the vehicles are traveling upon an unobstructed roadway of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles, moving lawfully in the direction of the overtaking vehicle.
(3) repealed 6/28/79.
(b) No vehicle overtaking another vehicle on the right may return to its original lane until clear of the overtaken vehicle.
(c) The driver of a vehicle traveling in a roundabout may not overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle.
So yeah, basically the same. I think the "no passing on the right on multi-lane" (in the same direction) is an old wive's tale. Maybe it exists, but it wouldn't make any sense.
      05-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #53
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

From Ontario's Highway Traffic Act:

Passing to right of vehicle

150 (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,
(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or
(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

Pretty much a copy paste of that Texas one.

Also of note:

Slow vehicles to travel on right side

147 (1) Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).
Exception
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a driver of a,
(a) vehicle while overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
(b) vehicle while preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;
(c) road service vehicle; or
(d) bicycle in a lane designated under subsection 153 (2) for travel in the opposite direction of traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (2); 2015, c. 14, s. 41.
Offence
(3) Every person who, while driving a motor vehicle, contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $1,000. 2019, c. 8, Sched. 1, s. 27.

Use of passing beam

168 When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,
(a) approaching an oncoming vehicle within 150 metres; or
(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 168.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #54
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Here is ours:

So yeah, basically the same. I think the "no passing on the right on multi-lane" (in the same direction) is an old wive's tale. Maybe it exists, but it wouldn't make any sense.
Yeah, I am not aware of any state that does not adhere to the uniform trafdic code. Since all states have reciprocity with each other, laws must be as close to the same as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #55
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Yeah, I am not aware of any state that does not adhere to the uniform trafdic code. Since all states have reciprocity with each other, laws must be as close to the same as possible.
JamesNoBrakes
X3power

Actually that is not correct... ALL states/territories do not have reciprocity with each other... nor are the laws or points always the same. Additional traffic violations in Canada can go both ways.

Only 45 states are in the Driver License Compact agreement, and only 44 are in Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). That's why I was saying previously its important to see what your state's laws are vs. the state the offense occurred in. As things may not translate.

For example, you could get a DUI in a nonreciprocity state or in a state that wants to suspend your DL but they can't as your home state won't honor it under normal circumstances. You're wreckless over 81mph speed limit in VA may not be in anything but a fine in Montana with zero points and not reciprocity if occurred out of state. But it doesn't mean that VA won't bend you over and fine you locally.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 05-31-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #56
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
JamesNoBrakes
X3power

Actually that is not correct... ALL states/territories do not have reciprocity with each other... nor are the laws or points always the same. Additional traffic violations in Canada can go both ways.

Only 45 states are in the Driver License Compact agreement, and only 44 are in Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC). That's why I was saying previously its important to see what your state's laws are vs. the state the offense occurred in. As things may not translate.

For example, you could get a DUI in a nonreciprocity state or in a state that wants to suspend your DL but they can't as your home state won't honor it under normal circumstances. You're wreckless over 81mph speed limit in VA may not be in anything but a fine in Montana with zero points and not reciprocity if occurred out of state. But it doesn't mean that VA won't bend you over and fine you locally.
Oh I know they are not the same, some states have laws that you have to move over for law enforcement, etc., some do not, some like AZ allow entering the intersection on yellow and just "waiting there" until you can turn, regardless of the color of the light, etc. These aren't 100% consistent, nor was I attempting to say they were 100% consistent. I would on the other hand assume that most places do not have a law against passing on the right when there are two lanes in the same direction of travel. If you ever get "in traffic", it'd be an absolute sh*t-show, since lanes travel at different speeds and the one on the left is not necessarily the fastest (in stop-n-go). I think we were more asking for any real examples of where this is illegal in the US, mostly just to show what the outlier is.
      05-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #57
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
JamesNoBrakes
X3power

By reciprocity I mean the states all honor the DL of other states. The laws regarding the movement of vehicles are pretty mu h the same in all of the states
I never mentioned either of thse compacts.
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread