home
Technical Sections Engine / Transmission / Exhaust / Drivetrain

12-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
Eds_Automotive
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Rear output flange

I have a 2002 E46 in my shop we did an LS swap on. Issue that I'm having is how to eliminate the play in the right side diff output flange. It moves more than the almost zero that the driver side does. I removed the axle and popped the flange out and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I've never played with these diffs before. Can I easily tighten something to stop the movement? Thanks for any help.

-

Edit: did some research and discovered this is a VERY well known issue, one that BMW says is "normal" possibly because they didn't want to recall every one of them to fix a design flaw and admit it at the same time (reputation and all)

I see there is a fix, some special shim that goes in during a rebuild to take up slack and correct the play causing the clunk, is this a fairly straightforward repair? Are these diffs hard to rebuild? I see AllData shows a ton of special tools and measurements that need to be taken. Myself and another tech have mild LSD rebuilding experience, wanting to see if I can do it myself or have to take it to a driveline shop ��
Attached Images

Last edited by Eds_Automotive; 12-12-2023 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Add information
Appreciate 0