BMW E46 M3 - Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

12-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #595
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
LOL What? I'll never say anything or insult you for being a hardcore VER fan but what you said doesn't make sense and borderline moronic.

How did Toto lose the race? Mercedes' strategy worked and it was all wrapped up and you even called the race when there was still 13 laps left. The only reason why VER won was strictly on that last decision by Masi and that completely removed any advantage and essentially removed Mercedes' strategy for the race.

Complete nonsense.
It's called racing, Toto
If it's racing, why did he win over a radio call?
If it's racing, why didn't the safety car leave to let the cars race?

Blue flags exist for that, Hamilton had to pass all under blue flags. Verstappen didn't have to.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      12-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #596
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The worst part of this race is that all the VER fans will think being insufferable is now justified.
ToddinTN504.00
minn1914078.00
      12-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #597
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
It's called racing, Toto
Sure if you want to call it that. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen? Everyone knew once that call was made it was done for HAM. There was no way VER wasn't going to pass HAM. The only way HAM would have won that is if VER spun out or had a mechanical problem.

If you wanted to "race", they should have kept the order and didn't let anyone pass. That would have been the most fair. Mercedes gets to see their strategy through the entire race and we would have seen what would have happened with VER on the soft tyres.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      12-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #598
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sure if you want to call it that. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen? Everyone knew once that call was made it was done for HAM. There was no way VER wasn't going to pass HAM. The only way HAM would have won that is if VER spun out or had a mechanical problem.

If you wanted to "race", they should have kept the order and didn't let anyone pass. That would have been the most fair. Mercedes gets to see their strategy through the entire race and we would have seen what would have happened with VER on the soft tyres.
Should should should.

If things went as they should have, Max would have already been WC a few races ago.

It doesn't matter who does the bitching, it's bitching all the same. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

EDIT: But I'm glad we all agree that the FIA has made some really bad mistakes this year

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #599
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Both drivers are amazing. Both deserved the win. Only one can win.
Other cars crash and that affect races and had done so all season.
It was a clear safety car situation and track shall always be cleared ASAP.
Then race should be restarted ASAP, regardless if it is lap 3 of race 1 or last lap of last race.
I think result was correct. Sure HAM was fastest, but VER was first over the line.

Really bad thing that teams try to influence race director and judges in pathetic ways. Toto is worst in that competition.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #600
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Should should should.

If things went as they should have, Max would have already been WC a few races ago.

It doesn't matter who does the bitching, it's bitching all the same. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

EDIT: But I'm glad we all agree that the FIA has made some really bad mistakes this year
We all get that. No one is upset with the outcome. We're all upset with how the outcome happened.

Mercedes can protest all they want, it's their right, but I highly doubt anything is going to change. There's too much ambiguity in the rule book to favour one side. This will just allow those responsible to revisit, review and potentially re-write the regulations so they're a lot clearer.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1714.50
      12-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #601
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Name:  Mercedes-AMG_Appeal.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  197.3 KB
      12-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #602
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I say let Horner and Toto box it out.
Why not let their wives box it out. You know, in a white T shirt in a large tub of mud....
Makes for better TV..
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 6
      12-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #603
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
LOL What? I'll never say anything or insult you for being a hardcore VER fan but what you said doesn't make sense and borderline moronic.

How did Toto lose the race? Mercedes' strategy worked and it was all wrapped up and you even called the race when there was still 13 laps left. The only reason why VER won was strictly on that last decision by Masi and that completely removed any advantage and essentially removed Mercedes' strategy for the race.

All this talk about RB's strategy. What strategy? Their only real strategy was with PER but even then, Mercedes ended that rather quickly. The race was fully wrapped up - everything RB did after that was not a "strategy", that was throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. Nothing they were doing could keep up with HAM today.

Complete nonsense.
So why do you think that Red Bull called MAX to pit twice over just what ?
Over 3-4 laps ?

Of course it was a huge gamble , but Mercedes could have followed the gamble as well..And twice !

But Toto didn't wanted to gamble while he clearly saw "WHAT" was going on in the Latifi crash ...

Instead of calling Masi to (FIA) 'FIX something behind the curtains as usual , he was actually losing his time ..
He had to call his driver (HAM) in ASAP , just like Red Bull did ! Twice !

The Wolf shot today in his own paw !!!

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 12-12-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11118.00
M5Rick61832.50
      12-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #604
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

No way the FIA changes the result. They would never admit they goofed.
irunalot1518.00
E92inNC1714.50
      12-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #605
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Why not let their wives box it out. You know, in a white T shirt in a large tub of mud....
Makes for better TV..
Like a 'Bitch fight ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11118.00
M5Rick61832.50
      12-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #606
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Never underestimate the incapability of FIA this season. They might surprise you.

"You want more drama during winter break? (While Netflix in post production) you shall receive more controversial decisions/rulings."
      12-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #607
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
So why do you think that Red Bull called MAX to pit twice over just what ?
Over 3-4 laps ?

Of course it was a huge gamble , but Mercedes could have followed the gamble as well..And twice !

But Toto didn't wanted to gamble while he clearly saw "WHAT" was going on in the Latifi crash ...

Instead of calling Masi to (FIA) 'FIX something behind the curtains as usual , he was actually losing time ..
He had the call his driver (HAM) in ASAP , just like Red Bull did ! Twice !

The Wolf shot today in his own paw !!!
What are you talking about? LOL. RB did that because it was a free and cheap pit stop to put VER on softs simple as that. You're letting the race result influence you to thinking that RB knew what was happening - no one knew that call was going to be made.

All RB was doing at that time was, let's put on the soft tyres and see what VER can do with 5 laps remaining still behind 10 or so seconds with 4 or 5 cars between him and HAM.

How are YOU going to say with 13 laps remaining, "Mercedes has this" and then with 5 laps, "oh yeah, RB planned this out all along"?
Appreciate 1
dvas524.00
      12-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #608
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

I can celebrate Max's win while at the same time acknowledging that he received a gift. If it wasn't for the miracle Christian spoke of, he isn't champion today.

But he is champion, and for that, I'm glad.

This shit comes with the territory.
      12-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #609
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Quote:
Never underestimate the incapability of FIA this season. They might surprise you.

"You want more drama during winter break? (While Netflix in post production) you shall receive more controversial decisions/rulings."
I would be shocked.
      12-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #610
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I say let Horner and Toto box it out.
Makes for better TV..
I see you are one of culture. I am for this.
      12-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #611
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
BINGO!!!!! Especially in the last race of the season and with ALL eyes on this race alone.

I agree that both drivers deserved to win the championship, but like this? Come on. You can't deny the talent these two have. To the new fan who just tuned in this season or this race alone, they see Max as an underdog who came back to win. To the seasoned race fan who understands the rules and what actually went on, this was a race that was handed to someone, plain and simple. Based on this race alone, did Max "deserve" to win? Nope. Prior to the safety car, even with Hamilton's older tires, the pace wasn't there for Red Bull to make up that time. Christ, they even said it on the radio. Barring a puncture to Hamilton's tires (could have happened) that race was his to lose.

But to modify the rules at the last lap? SO f-ed up. Race Control saying "Cars will not be able to pass the safety car", to "Cars will be able to pass the safety car", to only a handful of cars passing the safety car? I don't know where Max passed Hamilton on the safety car lap, but surely an incident like that isn't significant enough for anyone to consider.

The rules are clear and FIA broke their own rules. Nothing will be done and FIA would never admit fault. I do see Max winning multiple championships because of how damn good he is, but this win wasn't "earned." What a shame. Feels like the crappy officiating in the NFL this year ultimately deciding games. Makes it really difficult to get into.
Appreciate 2
3798j11680.00
Hulk Smash1030.50
      12-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #612
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
We all get that. No one is upset with the outcome. We're all upset with how the outcome happened.
This +1000
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #613
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

We know they don't want the race to end on a safety car, but, if they had red-flagged the race immediately for clean-up, and everyone went to the pits, wouldn't that have leveled the playing field (meaning Max and Lewis) by changing tires for at least a few laps of racing? At that point it would have come down to true strategy and the better driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #614
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Makes for better TV..
I don’t know if Lewis is currently in a relationship but I’d prefer their ladies duke it out but with oil
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #615
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
What are you talking about? LOL. RB did that because it was a free and cheap pit stop to put VER on softs simple as that. You're letting the race result influence you to thinking that RB knew what was happening - no one knew that call was going to be made.

All RB was doing at that time was, let's put on the soft tyres and see what VER can do with 5 laps remaining still behind 10 or so seconds with 4 or 5 cars between him and HAM.

How are YOU going to say with 13 laps remaining, "Mercedes has this" and then with 5 laps, "oh yeah, RB planned this out all along"?
Right . But Toto called Masi to fix it , by please 'NO safety car now !

Toto could have fixed it by calling HAM to pit , just like MAX did .
And no matter what would have come .. The 2021 WDC was for HAM in his Rocketship !!
I'll say it again : HAM's pace was today unreal , but Mercedes lost it by lack and response of pitstop strategy ...

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61832.50
      12-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #616
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Man, for some of you guys, I really hope today’s race result doesn’t totally obscure an unmatched F1 season. The likes of which we’ll almost surely never experience again.

If you’re in HAM’s camp, you must be joking that you think the same call wouldn’t have been made if the shoe was on the other foot… Masi was right. Ending THIS wdc under safety car, or with VER having to first navigate numerous lapped, irrelevant cars? Come the eff on.

HAM’s luck, which has been abundant, ran out in the final stages of today’s race.

HAM’s skill did not. He deserved today’s race win. Has he deserved them all this year? Were they all without controversy? I don’t think so. What happened today was motor racing, fate. Just as the cards have fallen in HAM’s favor innumerable times over the years, the opposite was true today.

Merc could have pitted HAM and put him on equal tires. It was a gamble either way, but as the Williams was cleaned up it was pretty clear they were going to do everything they could to get 1-2 more laps in. To end the championship racing. I had that impression watching the broadcast. Merc didn't? They did, but opted for track position. With his pace today, I would have absolutely favored HAM on that one lap restart scenario from 2nd position.

Also worth noting, HAM didn’t go for contact in that final exchange with VER. At that point he could have taken his chances with his left front bumping VER’s right rear once Max had nearly cleared him. Class act, incredible champion. Would VER have been similarly clean to the end? Doubtful.

VER’s decision to pass as early as possible (T5) was vintage Max. No delay, maximum attack, always. As was him lighting up the rear tires coming out of the final corner onto the front straight. Because you’d take your chances with a bit of oversteer with a few hundred meters to go in the championship, good lord…

WHAT A SEASON. Can only hope that the formula changes for next year bring some more drivers & teams into the mix, create uncertainty until the end. That’s the best we can hope for because there will never be another 1 on 1 battle quite like this.

Appreciate 6
forza19763405.00
E90SLAM1971.00
E92inNC1714.50
Autobacs1397.50