02-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #89
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think this is a case of Tiger out-drove the capabilities of the GV80. I'm sure he's used to higher level machinery that has higher capability than is designed into the Genesis chassis.

The difference between a good handling car and a great handling car is is how it transitions at the limit and lets you know you are approaching it. Late-model vehicles are dangerous because of the computer assisted handling that Dynamic Stability Control (BMW's name) provides the driver a false sense of security. Great handling cars have the similar software systems yet still have suspension designs that excel at 9/10ths and 10/10ths, less capable designs just lose it as the outer edges of the laws of physics are investigated, either on purpose or by accident. The GV80 probably felt similar at near its limits to the quality hardware Tiger drives, and then he got to the edge and it let go on him rather than tell Tiger he was not in a Lambo et.al he is used to driving and drop the speed while the laws of physics were still at play.
Why is the GV80 pinpointed (BTW not just you but a few others)? Because it's a Hyundai? If he was driving an X5 or Caddy XT6, would you be saying he "out-drove the capabilities" of them? If he's used to driving Lambos et al then you could say he's not used to driving not just GV80 but any SUV's in general with poorer handling characteristics and higher center of gravity.

The IIHS has yet to review the GV80 but it did selected the Genesis G70 Sedan and G90 Sedan as two of its 2020 Top Safety Picks. LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the outcome could've been far worse: "The cabin of the vehicle was more or less intact, the front end was totally destroyed, the bumpers, everything was destroyed, airbags deployed all of that, however, thankfully the interior was more or less intact, which kind of gave him the cushion to survive what otherwise would’ve been a fatal crash." So apparently the GV80 saved him.

If I had to guess at this early point, I'd say he was likely distracted (like possibly talking on the phone or texting) while driving, and lost control at high speed due inattention. Due to SUV's (all SUV's) being more prone to rollovers, that likely exacerbated the extent of the accident, but in the end the safety features of the vehicle saved him.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00