Thread: Kia Stinger
View Single Post
      01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

This is a great looking car. And I'm sure it will offer a lot of value.

That said, I am not surprised that they are trying to pitch the larger size as a positive attribute when compared to vehicles in the bread-and-butter luxury sedan segment occupied by the 3 Series and friends. But, ultimately, for me and I suspect for many others, that really just means it is too big to consider. And there are plenty of competitors on the market that already have the "I look awesome, but don't try and toss me around the bends" market covered. The size and price-point mean this isn't going to be a lightweight (in relative nor absolute terms) car.

Sure, it is smaller than a 5 Series and some others in that class, but for example, it's no less compact than an A6. And while the A6 (particularly the S6) is a great car, there's a reason why the A4/S4 exist below it - because some people (lots of them) don't want that big of a car. This is essentially the same exact size and body configuration as a 3 Series GT (which, if you recall, shares its wheelbase with the China-only 3 Series Li). It just happens to pull it off with a much more eye-pleasing result (for which I give Kia a thumbs up).

I fear that the upcoming Genesis G70 will also end up this size, which will be disappointing. I was really hoping to see a new small RWD sedan enter the market, but I think that at least in the near term, we can count the Koreans out of delivering one.
Appreciate 0