2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad20058 View Post
Super scared about the no reserve lol. Tried to and they said 2008 was too old for a reserve
Not certain what you're worried about. You want to sell, correct? You're going to get somewhere between $14k and $20k, depending on how well the car is presented and if you have the right bidders in the room. You'll get market value for the car. BMWs do very well on that site.

Or you can put a for sale sign on it through Autotrader, deal with the phone calls, emails, and showings. Waste time negotiating, hoping you get what you think the car is worth. May take a month or two? Your time and aggravation are worth something, too.

About 18 months ago I put my 1999 Ducati 996 up on BaT with no reserve. I had owned it since new, got all of the maintenance up to date in preparation for the auction, and knew I would get somewhere between $6k and $8k for it. No way was I going to advertise on Craig's list or Cycletrader, deal with the emails and phone calls, have people stop by to see it, etc. BaT put it online, I fielded the questions from interested bidders, and got just under $10k for it. A thousand here or there were not going to break me, and I just wanted market value for the bike.

Two years ago I had a 2009 Audi S5 MT that I just did not enjoy driving, after only a few months of ownership. I seriously considered selling it on BaT (no reserve of course). However, my detailer told me the car had extensive paint work that the previous owner seemed to know nothing about. I didn't want to ruin my online integrity by failing to disclose that fact, nor negatively affect an auction by disclosing that kind of a problem for an otherwise super-clean, low-mileage (34k) beauty. I called Carmax and let them have it.

Two weeks ago I was the last man standing on a BaT auction for a '67 Corvette that failed to reach reserve. The seller reached out to me with a reasonable offer just below his reserve, and we struck a deal. He got just a little under what he wanted, and I believe I paid market value for great classic.

So, I have options. If I want to sell something that has a story behind it, I'll just take what I can get from Carmax (if they're still in business). Or I will trade it in to a dealer. Or I'll go the BaT route if I have something that can do well out there, like an e9x with MT, and I'll go no reserve. The days of me throwing something on Craig's List or Autotrader are long gone -- too much work.
Appreciate 2