04-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
There is no need to change any of the fluids after only 1000 miles, but changing the oil will neither help or hurt anything. It's your money. I'm not changing mine that soon, but I will do it before 15k.Changing ATF is not only unnecessary, it can void the warranty on the transmission. You do not want to pay for a BMW automatic transmission. Same with manuals. If the transmission acts up, it will be covered by warranty.Brake fluid gets changed every 2 years, no matter what kind of car you drive. If you beat the brakes on the track, it makes sense to flush them a lot more often. For daily driving, have the fluid changed when the car tells you.
sorry, but that's bad advice, though you are entitled to your opinion and maybe you only plan on owning your car within the warranty period, some people want to continue to have a reliable car past 100k miles.

I believe that the BMW included maintenance schedule is actually setting up future owners for higher maintenance and repair costs outside of the warranty period by only maintaining the car to the minimum required standards while it is within the warranty period. Also keep in mind that 80% of new BMW's in the USA are leased so they will be turned-in and re-sold as a CPO car, likely in the 30-50k mi range. The maximum BMW warranty coverage period is 100k mi and their maintenance schedule has been carefully designed to get the car through this period, after that the customer will be paying out of pocket for everything.

Changing fluids, including the fluid in the transmission, is not going to void any warranty.

There is a reason they call it preventative maintenance. :smile:
Appreciate 0