View Single Post
      09-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Something else I should add to my report:

On the last road trip I did to VA (which resulted in limp mode on the way) I did some pretty serious mountain passes with the car, and had no Limp mode issues at all while doing it. I was running the car hard in 2nd and 3rd gear, and while the oil temperature went above normal, the car performed just as it should have.

This makes me think there's something going on with the pump specifically at highway speeds. It makes me wonder if the fuel pressure regulation is causing higher current draw in low flow situations than when driving around town, or running the car hard.

I'm not sure exactly how they have the fuel pressure system set up, so it's only speculation, but I've seen things like that in industrial applications, where a pump speed setting can cause overheating in low demand situations.

No matter what the cause, I'd just like to see a solid fix for it. Things like this make me pretty nervous about hanging on to this car once the warranty is up. My last BMW ('97 318ti) was slow, but it was dead reliable right up to 140k miles when I sold it. This one has had me thinking I was about to be taking the "shoe leather express" on several occasions, and I don't even have 12k miles on it yet.
Appreciate 0