View Single Post
      01-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #70
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

As an adult I’ve lived in CA, OR, MI, NH, KY and FL. As I kid I also lived in TN, TX, KS and CO. I’ve traveled in all 50 states pretty extensively, mostly in my own car.

Every state has some great areas and wonderful people, and every state has some crap holes. Key factors for us were climate and proximity to some family, along with state income taxes, which put us in either TN or FL. We wanted to be on “big” water, with wide and far water views, which eliminated a lot of places. Warm climate eliminated the Great Lakes, proximity to family eliminated the coast of OR, NorCal and WA. We are about 60 miles south of Jax on the Atlantic, ocean front. Small town, one of the few remaining, so still barely affordable for us. This works for us but would not if I was commuting (I am retired).

It is hot and humid here in late summer, although the ocean breeze helps. I’m adjusted to it, my wife is not. 2022 will be the final year of trying for her; if she doesn’t adapt we will probably sell and move to one of the TN lakes (Cherokee is a favorite).

As an aside, when house hunting on line we found a neat trick. We look for pizza delivery at the house. If there is pizza within delivery range, there are also doctors, clinics, hospitals, shopping, movies, etc. That turned out to be a good test of whether we were getting too rural for our tastes/needs.

I’m not recommending anyplace specifically to the OP. There is good to be found in many places, the trick is to match to your preferences and needs.
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7939.00
RickFLM410997.00