12-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C View Post
I have an order for an I4 m50 and was wondering what the BMW wall box level 2 charger would offer me over the supplied [I][/I]accessories. I know I have to have a 220 line installed near the car. I don't think it will offer faster charging times. Anything other than programing charging times? Say at night?

I previously bought my daughter a VW ID.4. Charging infrastructure here in Long Island is terrible. There is only 1 DC fast charger that's not even near me.
Any info greatly appreciated
If you have a 220V line available, whether you can charge at 30/40/50 amps doesn’t matter much if you plan to charge overnight. Any of those charging levels will refill your battery overnight (in 6-10 hours).

If you’re trying to take advantage of limited-time off-peak electric rates, then the higher amperage might provide a small benefit, depending on your daily mileage driven and the total time of off-peak rate availability.

In my case, my car’s included charger, which supplies a maximum of 40 amps, easily recharges my car’s battery overnight regardless of how many miles I drive. The optional (extra cost) “wall box” type charger can supply 50 amps, but that wouldn’t make any difference at all to my daily cost or routine.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1159.00