06-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #4013
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i've been procrastinating about getting a firearm for like a year now. I can wait no longer.

I need/want a shotgun, and hand gun. I guess the most basic question is, how do i know which is "right" for me? I'm honestly infatuated with the looks of some of these weapons, and would buy one just for looks. lol
I work in the industry and I hear this often. But I also know it is almost always answered by someone who is biased. I like Sig's - so of course my mind goes there first. Glocks are great firearms and many people love them, but I do not care for them. They just don't fit my hand like Sig's do. Everyone has a different hand.

I always advise to find an indoor range that has rentals. Many have a wide selection of guns you can test fit in your hand and even rent by the hour. A local one to my home town lets you rent one for the hour, but you can swap it out with anything cheaper during that hour - of course you have to buy ammo - but still a great way to try a lot of guns to find what fits for you. They will help you get started and be safe too and usually have cheap/free classes if you buy a gun from them.

To me it is like a car - you have to test a few to see what you like and more importantly what you don't like.

Revolvers are easy and good for inexperienced people who might not be able to clear a jam in their sleep like people who shoot a lot do. But they have a big disadvantage in capacity and they are not as much fun to plink with if you decide you like shooting and take it up as a hobby.

They are an expensive investment - so make sure you get what you like and make FOR SURE you learn to use it properly and safely.

Good luck - it's a great sport - you will enjoy it!