Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Had a snow day today, so started digging into a fairly large project on the M3-- my Avin3 project... with associated "while I'm in there" items.
Basic concept:
-replace every module in the trunk with the avin. This will mean plugging the speakers directly into the avin, using its internal amp
-since all modules are removed, remove the entire stereo wiring harness. This should save 15-20 lbs by itself (not yet clear on the weight of the nav stereo harness)
-relocate the battery under the hood, to the drug big (since my 5.7 lb battery isn't contributing to weight distribution). Eliminate the way overkill for my battery mounting brackets
-remove the 8 lb battery cable that runs from the front of the car to the rear
-remove all the US only padding behind the dashboard (the USA has a safety standard for unbelted occupants, that the dash need a certain about of squish. I wear my seatbelt, so that does not concern me
-mail my LCM to Terra for software updating, since I won't be running the intravee anymore and still want triple blink
-update my cluster to black gauge faces

The first step in this is removing... pretty much the entire interior. For various aspects of the project I need the dash out, door cards out, carpet out, trunk liner out, etc etc... so... pretty much all of it :lolhit:

Everything but the dash is now out. Still trying to figure out what securing it by the pillars, but it might just be the weather stripping. Alex is going to send me a picture of a removed dash in that area tomorrow, so I can make sure I didn't miss any fasteners.

Parts are mostly contained in my (not yet road ready) e39 530i storage locker:
Attached Images

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0