06-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #3525
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So the Residential School story is a long and storied thing. I've done a lot of work in fly in First Nation communities, they are plagued with substance abuse, mental health issues, physical and sexual abuse. FN isn't a simple Google/Wiki search. There is clearly problems with the system that was, but you also need to look at it through the lens that was 150 years ago moving forward. If you want to compare the two, FN Reservations vs homelessness I'm happy to talk about that as I have some experience with both.....but I don't think you'll like my take on either.
I like honesty. I think you've seen me post, "we must go forward". But we must study the past so we know where forward is.
Seems in the US we got rid of the mental ward institutions only last century, in the '70s.
https://timeline.com/willowbrook-the...s-c847acb44e0d
The temptation to 'lock em up' is always there. Being of Irish/Catholic decent, I've read up on the past treatment of 'wayward' girls by the church & state. I don't have as much knowledge of the Canadian treatment of indigenous peoples, because I always thought Canadians were so good!

Terrible stuff can happen under the covers.

One block from me we have a Phoenix House, probably ~ a 20 unit building. I walk this block daily (for decades now), with dogs rooting in the gutter, and have never seen a needle. Lots of cig buts, but no needles. The residents have never been connected to car break-ins or such.
Such things lead me to thinking that we can do important stuff right, if we can cut the BS (from both sides).

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-16-2021 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0