View Single Post
      03-21-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's been a while, but now the rear brake cooling is done! Had to switch supplier for the metal parts and that took a while. Rear brake cooling installed on my E46 M3 race car, should fit nicely on the E8X Z4 M platform as well as E36 M3.

Cut away as much as possible from the OE backing plates but kept a small part for structural rigidity.

Painted the backing plates in place as good as possible to avoid the edges from rusting.

My backing plates (adapters/heat shielding in reality) with the 3D-printed funnel. Don't mind the rough surface on the inside of the funnel, it's due to no supporting material and the shallow angle of the surface (will never be perfect with 3D-printing). All funnels will be printed with support but it won't be perfect on the inside anyway, but a lot better.

Parts for the rear intakes (forgot the support brace though). Painted all the metal parts to protect from rusting.

Fitment and don't forget to use loctite on all bolts/nuts!

Designed the kit in such a way you only have to remove 1 bolt at a time so you won't risk missaligning the toe angle.

Here you can see the support brace installed.

Finished result! Very pleased with it and I'm anxious to see how well it will perform on track. Rear brakes aren't as impactfull as the fronts when it comes to braking performance (at least with stock-ish brake setup/balance), but at least it will help a lot with pad and disc wear. On my race car it will help more because I've moved the brake balance more towards the rear.