12-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Snow tires on a RWD performance car

It’s that time of year again, time to rekindle the second most polorizing topic (right behind manual vs DCT), snow/winter tires on RWD vs all-seasons on AWD. My region received about 10” of snow yesterday and last night. This morning at 5 am, I made the 5 mile trek into work. The commute which normally takes 10 min took 15, mainly due the fact that I was behind a tag team DOT plow truck couple, a good scenario for sure. Needless to say, my journey was not only uneventful but inspiring as well. My decision to invest a few hundred dollars on a winter tire/wheel setup once again (my previous ‘16 M2 was also equipped on Blizzaks) gave me the utmost confidence while driving on snow covered roads. I must give PA DOT their props for doing an excellent job at snow removal. My ground clearance is about 4” so any snow banks in intersections would’ve probably impeded my commute. I had all-season runflats on my ‘14 435i xDrive. Firsthand experience will tell you RWD with snows are more effective overall. My specs:

KW coilovers at highest setting
Perelli Sotozero mounted on cheapo Tirerack steel wheels
No LSD
~65/35 rear weight biased due to mid engine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0