View Single Post
      07-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #28
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
Agree with this. Astons are stunning to look at, but their reliability is terrible, there is no way I'd want to deal with that maintenance headache. The part costs alone would dissuade me, not from just the cost but the frequency of issues. I was watching Travarish's bootleg version of TopGear that they did for Youtube and the mechanic inspection on a 3 yr old car showed some serious faults.

Answer here is Porsche 2-seater, 911 is definitely on my radar in the near term.
Here were some notes from when I was considering the R8, AMV* an d 991.2 verts:

I could find any of the 3 in my price range (under $100k all in).

There's a reason older AMV8s are so cheap

watch from 4:22 to 4:43 or to 5:00...
Problem is, Hammond is right, and they are so pretty and pull hard at your heart strings.

Seems like real manuals are averaging about $5k higher for Astons. The ones that go in the $40s are relatively old. Newer ones are in the $60 - $80k range...

V8 R8s from 2011 - 2014 are in the $70-$90k. There were only about 168 manual spyders produced.

That's another drawback of going the r8 or amv8 route... The R8 would be 5 years older than the 911 I'd get and the AMV8 doesn't seem to hold up really well, whereas the 911 could be used regularly. If you budgeted e39 m5 maintenance costs, you'd probably be ahead of the game with a 911, probably not so much with the other two.

The turbo engine on the base 991.2 adds a lot of low end torque without losing much in the way of revvyness (more V8 like). It is also cheaply tunable for easy 400+ HP. You can also get a full Fidelity Warranty for a couple grand and have multiple years of low risk ownership.
Appreciate 0