02-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #83
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
roastbeef Thanks. You sir (or madame, we don't know each other), have described range anxiety better than anyone could describe it. You acknowledge the potential for shrinking gas tank syndrome to be a possibility.

Utility-for-utility, EVs fall far short of ICE vehicles. I am using the meaning of the word "utility" in the most expansive way possible. Think about the use of the word utility in an economics PhD course.

Shrinking gas tank syndrome, plus range anxiety, will not be solved for years to come. I have confidence that the shrinking gas tank can be overcome, but when it happens and and what financial cost to consumers, is hard to predict.
of course the "shrinking gas tank" is a possibility. i wouldn't debate its not. possibility is rarely zero, and its a fact that batteries lose efficiency over time. i do think, from a balance sheet perspective, the money saved that could be used to buy a new battery by using an electric vehicle versus a gas vehicle has an eclipse of (i'm guessing) 6-7 years.

utility is subjective. my favorite thing about the smart car, is i don't wait for it to warm up. i get in and hammer it. the heater is instant on cold mornings. it is quick around town, and i can mob up driveways without scraping. i don't care where i park, because i don't care about door dings. i can have a busy day running errands around town with liberal throttle application (its relatively quick and fun) without worrying about range. i only have to consider range on my work days.