flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Mines R34 unicorn with BBS MG magnesium wheels. *swoon
When I bought my R1200 GS, I bought it from a service member who'd recently come back from Germany. He was having difficulty selling it since it was a military sales overseas purchase and then shipped to the US-- the paperwork was a *nightmare*. But, since I knew how to get it licensed/registered (I'm retired Military), I made him a fair offer and he accepted.

I flew out to Tucson and he picked me up at the airport. We went over to his place to pick up the bike. While we were driving to his house, I was chatting with him about why he was selling an almost brand-new bike with only 700 miles on it.

His answer was that his wife was pregnant, and she put down the law that he was only able to have one "toy". He opened up the garage, and there was a classic right-hand drive Skyline GTR sitting next to the bike.

It was a "WTF, over?" moment. I was boggled that he had one, since they're just about impossible to import to the US. He said that it was just barely 25 years old, so he was able to bring it into the country. He'd found it in Germany (and don't ask me how a Japan-spec GTR made it there), bought it, drove it there, and then delayed his return to the US until the car went over 25 years, so he could have the Government ship it back for him.

Sometimes it helps to know the rules well enough to take advantage of them. And I got a great bike out of the deal!

R.
HondaRC51251.00
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
///MPhatic13937.50
Buug95917721.50