United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is the 323 running ?

First thing is to get it up on a lift.

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/...-services.html
It is running. The car is being daily driven right now, haha. They do maintenance on the car at regular intervals. I rode in it once, and it runs pretty well for the age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
If it is a E21 323i, it us not a US model, so I would be very surprised if it has A/C.

Everything engine and transmission related is different from the US models, so very few repair parts are stocked in the US. When I has a '79 323i I had to import things like the distributor cap, plug wires, fuel distribution pipes, but they look like they are more available now. I had to buy some special Bosch tools to work on the Bosch K-Jetronic injection.

When it was running well it was a blast to drive, and was 3 seconds faster 0-60 than the US version 320i. It also had rear disk brakes where the US versions had rear drums. Mine also had a limited slip differential.

As long as you understand the challenges of restoring and maintaining a gray market car, it will be worth the effort.
That's good to know! I didn't realize this car wasn't really available in the US. I know originally the car was bought by my cousin and he bought it to restore then got the engine in a running state and decided it wasn't worth it (he had a lot of life issues going on) and gave it to his dad as an extra car to help them get around. I guessed that it would be kind of challenging and expensive but I'm really excited about it and I can't wait to get my hands dirty again. This is also my first restoration car...so...I'm just kind of lost but incredibly excited!
Appreciate 0