LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I'd get your point if you were talking about Hybrids. Those have been around a long time though. Ditching ICE component doesn't advance anything, and introduces it's own liabilities.

I guess I don't see what user functions the user needs the car to adapt to that requires EV, and can't be served by ICE or hybrid.

A smart phone sucks to use as a laptop, and if it's made bigger to make that part work better, it then sucks to use as a phone.
I am talking about hybrids as well if the battery is sufficiently large enough to allow EV only driving for some portion. My 530e PHEV is an Electric Vehicle by current definition since it can be charged run purely as an EV. I still think this is likely to be the dominant EV model for the US market unless we have breakthroughs in some areas to address some challenges.

Quote:
And it uses what energy to do this magical feat? I can control the environment of my ICE car with my hand held display remote from 900' away. No EV magic required. Many newer cars can do this with their cell phone.

Also, if it's that cold, the battery range has already been greatly reduced due to cold battery syndrome. Seems like a step backwards in user experience.

You can put an inverter in an ICE car too.
Of course. But running an ICE engine to warm a cold card at idle is very bad for the engine. It is the worst condition to operate an engine in which is why I am unaware of any manufacturer that recommends it. They sell remote starter capabilities on the newer cars because they are confident the engine will still last the warranty period. They aren’t on the hook if it has problems after that.

I can heat my EV cabin inside my enclosed garage which is much warmer than parking it outside so I can run warm the car without killing myself (running an ICE car in a garage is a no no). This also heats the battery to counter the impact of a cold battery.

An EV as a home backup energy storage is that you don’t have to do anything special. You don’t have to plug an inverter into a car parked outside to run and power anything. You don’t have to carry gas cans home or anything other than plug your car in as normal and it will instantly flip over to using the battery when the power goes out.
Appreciate 0