View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #96
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
In a strange way, I can dig it. I would prefer hybrids over everything switching to full EV and we have silent assassins with more power and no noise.

We see what small displacement and decent backup from a huffer and electric motors can do via F1, P cars (918) and similar hyper cars producing insane performance. Many will likely be upset, but I would also take these types of changes of the garbage BMW spit out with the G8x.... Seems the easier pill to swallow.
No doubt it's going to cause waves and piss off some people. The other thing that doesn't really matter whether it's 4 6 or 8 cyl is that increasing the performance of combustion engines keeps getting us to more and more exotic systems, parts, materials, things like electric turbochargers and superchargers, more elaborate turbo chargers, more complexity to recover as much heat as possible, and so on. This leads to less reliability in the long term IMO, it just creates more and more points of failure and a more complex system that has to all work perfectly, which it probably will for the warranty period, but the more and more performance is squeezed out, the more this seems to suffer (long term).

I think porsche has one more trick up their sleeve with the rear-engine layout. While not optimal, with all sorts of exotic engineering and cost it can perform as good or better, things like active suspension, torque vectoring, rear wheel steering, etc., but you eventually reach a hard limit and it gets increasingly harder for you to compete with the better chassis...but, you got all that space up front that naturally lends itself to a hybrid setup, electrically powered front wheels, ICE powered rear. The ability to capture some energy from braking and unleash it is a game-changer.