View Single Post
      12-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #17
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69 View Post
Wider, stickier, heavier tires probably cause most of the drop when going to the 20" wheels. Brake weight has little impact on fuel economy since it's all closer to the hub. Calipers aren't spinning, too. The wheel and tire weight matter more. I guess it all adds up.

The new text on the US website is:
"High Performance Tire Package
$2,500
Enhance the aggressive appeal of your vehicle with a body-colored rear spoiler, increased braking capacity for extreme driving conditions, and wheel arch moldings on the rear axle. Also included are wider, high-performance tires offering improved traction, reduced stopping distance and enhanced dynamic response."

Nothing about cooling anymore.

So is 2500 worth it for upgraded calipers and massively upgraded wheels and tires? If you want better handling, I'm guessing a huge yes. Braking doesn't matter so much because it's an EV, but extra capacity is a good thing.
I went for it just for the wider wheels and brakes.
My mileage requirement is 250 so anything extra is a plus. Also I suspect in Eco mode mileage will be better. I think, and don't quote me, the front motor is not engaged for drive in Eco mode. Since it also doesn't have permanent magnets it should freewheel with out a lot of losses.