View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I owned a 1987 Ford Ranger STX. It came with a 2" factory lift kit. It was fantastic off road and handled very well on the street. I had a friend with a 1986 Ford Bronco II (based of the Ranger chassis). Again a great handling street vehicle with high off road capability, he never crashed it. My wife and I owned a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ from 1995 to 2009. Never came close to flipping it; in fact I spun it once in the dry, 90 deg. on the right exit apron from Wisconsin Avenue to Pooks Hill Road in Bethesda, MD chasing a 280Z that cut me off on the Beltway*. My bother and sisters had Chevrolet Suburbans and Blazers, none of which got off the wheels and killed anyone. So my first hand experience with many SUVs of the era you cite is pretty much different than your idea that such vehicles of the time were unsafe, they weren't.

* I didn't drive any slower in my early 20's to mid 30's than I do now.
The common denominator is the idiot driver that causes the roll overs. It just baffles me how many times I see a traffic report even to this day about some fool that rolled their car around the DC Metro area. So we're not even talking about an SUV.

You can put all the engineering you want into a car to prevent even the most unlikely scenario and some fool is going to find a way to make it happen. One of my track coaches talked about all the electronic nannies on the S1000RR. He said even with how good the nannies are, it can't fix stupid.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50