View Single Post
      09-26-2022, 09:59 PM   #51
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I see a 2018 M760i X-Drive going for $70k on autotrader. Not bad! I know nothing about the V12 though. Hows it going to hit my wallet in 100k miles? Hard to argue against it, it's a beautiful car! $70k+ is above my budget for an extra car however, I already have 3 other cars.
The N74B66TU engine is based on a V12 platform has been around a very long time, proven track record. It's a slightly larger version of a long line of V12's dating back to the BMW S70 (also used in the McLaren F1).

The N74B66TU only needs ~11 pounds of boost to make it's power, so it it doesn't work very hard. There are really no "common" problems with these engines like you find with the higher boosted hot-V's. N74B68 version of this engine is used in the Rolls Royce lineup.

I did lot of research and was planning to get an M5, but you can get a M760i for the same money. I drove both. The M760i is pretty close to the M5 on "fun to drive" (no track use) but way more enjoyable to drive when you aren't having fun. 590 ft/lb that comes in at 1550 RPM that lasts all the way to it's 7000 RPM redline is a big part of it's charm, it has almost no lag and is always willing to faster then you need it to. I already have a "track" car, so the M5 offered nothing I wanted that the M760i couldn't do better.

My guess/hope, it will hold up better than an M5 too. There were a few I found while shopping with over 100K miles for sale, they seemed to hold up very well. If so, I may end up keeping it well after I retire.
Appreciate 0