08-07-2020, 01:06 AM   #4408
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I take gun ownership very seriously. My kids are 7yrs old and I've already explained to them that they are never to touch a gun if they see one somewhere else. They have no access to where they are stored. When they are old enough to handle one, they will be educated by a retired LEO friend of mine. I have bought my son some books proper for children about different types of guns and I have shown him my different pistols. Of course they have been empty and the slides have been locked open. Even when he plays with his nerf gun I always stress he is never point it at anyone in the house, including the dogs. He once pretended to shoot at his sister and it was taken away for a month.

I appreciate your concern, and this is why being a responsible gun owner is not to be taken lightly. I wish my wife would let me take her to the range, but she has no interest.
Best way to teach a kid that guns aren't trivial is to get them trained up on how to shoot them. We're starting with a high FPS pellet gun to learn the fundamentals about where (not) to point it, eye/ear protection, how to use the safety, check it when you're handed it, etc.

Best look on their faces was when the rule for animals was laid down. Simply put, you shoot it, you're eating it. I don't need them thinking it's cool to blast lizards and birds for kicks. They gulped pretty good on that one and my guess is they'll stick to targets and cans for now
Appreciate 3
DocL1930.00
Dpc2u11503.00