Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
The only way to buy an e46 is with a time machine. I love the e46 but simply wont pay what they're going for now. Could have bought a clean one for $8,000 a few years ago. Now they're 3x the price.

Additionally, there are a handful of people inflating the prices on Bring a Trailer. Some basic research indicates the buyers and sellers are linked in some way. I'm not sure how they're circumventing the BAT fees but surely a white e46 with a manual swap and general tires isn't selling for $40k.
Can you elaborate on buyers bidding up the price in collusion with the sellers on BAT?

I suspected this on the $90k LSB e46 as the high bidder disappeared and didn't complete the transaction, but do you have any proof?
I'll have to look. I remember seeing multiple BAT users, seemingly selling cars between Central Florida and Northern California. It seemed an e46 would pop up in NorCal and without fail, a central Florida user would win with an outrageous bid. What, specifically, drew my attention to it was at least two of them had been swapped to manual, that's when I noticed a pattern.

One of the cars popped up on Facebook shortly after for $55k in Florida, which I coincidentally stumbled across. There was some debate on whether it was the same car that had just sold on BAT on the Facebook thread.

What I can't say for sure is that there is 100% something fishy happening on BAT but there is certainly a contingent of people (and it's a small amount) seemingly buying them up and artificially inflating the prices across multiple places on the web.

If nothing else, the conspiracy of outrageously priced e46 M3s will halt sales. I know I'm not the only person active in the M community that's questioned what the hell is going on with the overnight price explosion.